Swiss peasants harvest spaghetti from trees, 1957
Dog wins art contest, 1974
Burger King's Left-Handed Whopper Hoax, 1998
What do the lines on Solo cups mean?
The Berners Street Hoax, 1810
The worms inside your face
September Morn, the painting that shocked the censor, 1913
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
Fake Fish Photos
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
NFL Stadiums Bomb Hoax
The FBI and Department of Homeland Security have announced that threats made online last week to plant 'dirty bombs' at NFL stadiums were a hoax.

The threat, dated Oct. 12, appeared on a Web site, The Friend Society, that links to various online forums and off-color cartoons. Its author, identified in the message as "javness," said trucks would deliver radiological bombs Sunday to stadiums in New York, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, Houston, Cleveland and Oakland, Calif., and that Osama bin Laden would claim responsibility.

The FBI, after tracing computers, have questioned a 20 year old Milwaukee man. Although the man has been released, he is still believed to have some involvement, and may be charged.

A statement has been made that fans: "should be reassured of their security as they continue to attend sporting events this weekend."

(Thanks, Stork and Robert.)
Categories: Law/Police/Crime, Sports
Posted by Boo on Fri Oct 20, 2006
What they should have done is just steal the damn blimp and fly it into the stadium. With a dirty bomb aboard, they've got all they need. And even if someone else did the "dirty deed" I bet Osama bin Laden would take credit. He's been out of the news for far too long as far as he is concerned I bet. I hear that he wants to lay claim for the 1906 San Fransisco earthquake, but the Democrats have already laid that one on Bush and FEMA.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Fri Oct 20, 2006  at  01:26 PM
I heard this on the news this morning and they claimed that this guy and another person were involved in a contest as to who could create the most believeable threat.

If this is true, these two should be criminally charged as well as being held financially liable.
Posted by Chuck  in  Rhode Island  on  Fri Oct 20, 2006  at  01:50 PM
I actually had a 6 week project for a government security class where we had to think like the terrorists and write a proposal on how to "disrupt" the department of homeland security. The scariest part was that both the proposal I did on my own and the one that I did in a group were completely plausible and not that difficult with the right resources.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Fri Oct 20, 2006  at  02:58 PM
just goes to sho that those greenbay fans will do anything for a playoff spot
Posted by mark  in  rockland mass  on  Fri Oct 20, 2006  at  03:20 PM
Some people over on 4Chan's /b/ image board (not for... anyone who wants to keep their sanity. >_>) are convinced that the person that did this was a /b/rother (a user who frequents that board). The "threat" was similar to a tongue-in-cheek post from a while ago.
Posted by Red  on  Fri Oct 20, 2006  at  04:10 PM
Razela, it will always be easy to conduct terrorism in an open society. And as far as the selection of cities goes I would have picked: Pittsburgh, San Francisco, New York, and Dallas. The first two because I am a Bengals fan and the last two just because I don't like the teams for other reasons.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Fri Oct 20, 2006  at  04:30 PM
This is why we have no stadiums in The Land of My Birth, nor do we we have the organized sports. Our national pastime is not for the eyes of many, if you know what I mean, and maybe be USofA spy guys know because I just typed this now, and they are starting to make some people like the paranoids, you know? I, Raoul, The Psychic Gangster of Love have no need for this fear and worry, because I have many secrets, and I keep them well. I would like to not have to water the board, though, okay? Ha ha ha, I'm sorry, those spy guys are too funny, you know? Rrrraoul
Posted by Raoul  on  Fri Oct 20, 2006  at  11:51 PM
If you go to a game now, you can't call the players "dirty bums."
Posted by Phred22  on  Sun Oct 22, 2006  at  11:37 AM
Phred22, why can't you call the players dirty bums? Does that offend the willing homeless who haven't taken a shower recently?
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Mon Oct 23, 2006  at  12:05 AM
The problem isn't who's offended. It's like calling out "Hi, Jack" to a friend in the airport. When you yell, "You dirty bum," the cops may think you're yelling, "Dirty bomb."
Posted by Phred22  in  Beltsville, MD  on  Mon Oct 23, 2006  at  10:03 AM
Sorry Phred22, you haven't experienced my alleged sense of humor before. My jokes tend to be bad (horrible) and I often forget that people who haven't experienced them can easily miss the point. My comment was a play on some of the euphemisms that float around.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Mon Oct 23, 2006  at  11:15 AM
This is all kinds of messed up, who thinks that they can actually do this. People need to leave these giant public areas alone.
Posted by Max  on  Wed Jul 08, 2009  at  12:54 PM