Jennifer Love Hewitt's Disappearing Breasts
The Great Wall of China Hoax, 1899
The Case of the Vanishing Belly Button, 1964
The Nobody For President Campaign, 1940 to Present
The Instant Color TV Hoax, 1962
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
New Nessie Footage
image Something is stirring in Loch Ness.

Earlier this month, amateur scientist Gordon Holmes filmed a mysterious shape swimming beneath the surface of Loch Ness. In the footage, you can see a dark shape gliding along. Unfortunately, whatever it is, it never breaks the surface of the water, thus denying us any easy way to identify it.

Holmes says that he filmed the creature at 9:50 pm from a layby on the A82:
"I was minutes from going home but I saw something moving and dashed out of the car and switched the camcorder on. About 200 yards away from me I could see something in the water. It was definitely a creature propelling itself through the water. It was fairly bubbling along the water. It was streaking along."

The media is describing his footage as the best Nessie footage ever. The question I'm interested in is not whether or not this might be evidence of Nessie (I don't think it is), but whether this is some kind of intentional hoax. My hunch is that it's not. It's probably just a case of someone who happened to film something unusual. Maybe it's a fish, or a trick of the light, or a stray Museum of Hoaxes reader who didn't realize that the trip to Loch Ness was last year, not this year. If this footage came from anywhere else in the world other than Loch Ness, it wouldn't raise any eyebrows. But of course, it does come from Loch Ness, so it's receiving all kinds of media attention.

Credit goes to Stargazer for posting about this in the forum before I managed to post it here. However, this seemed like too big of a story for me not to put it on the front page. (And thanks to all the people who emailed me about it.)

You can see some of the video footage here, or on YouTube. (thanks to MadCarlotta for finding these links.)

And check out my list of Loch Ness Monster Hoaxes for some retrospective on sightings in the Loch.
Categories: Cryptozoology
Posted by The Curator on Fri Jun 01, 2007
Dr Karl talks about possible explanations at:

Posted by Peter  in  Melbourne, Australia  on  Fri Jun 01, 2007  at  03:41 AM
Loch Ness is applying for World Heritage Status so it can be protected from developers and so on. Not because of the monster, but because it's a wonderfully atmospheric and beautiful historic site.

And a little bit because of the monster...
Posted by Nona  in  London  on  Fri Jun 01, 2007  at  09:47 AM
Do any animals at all live in Loch Ness? Any fish or other water creatures?
Posted by Jennifer  in  ohio  on  Fri Jun 01, 2007  at  12:16 PM
Lots of fish and even mammals live in the loch, at least part of the year. It's not a dead lake by any means, though many people argue that there just isn't enough fish to support a breeding family of giant-sized creatures.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Fri Jun 01, 2007  at  12:27 PM
Thank you.
Posted by Jennifer  in  Ohio  on  Fri Jun 01, 2007  at  03:18 PM
who would be liking to buy my snorkel? Only used the once, because the water was so cold, you know? My little georgies shrunk down very small, and this is not how The Psychic Gangster of Love fills the speedo, okay? Ha ha ha, I'm sorry, that was cruel. My little georgies are perfect, as the usual, you know? Don't get me started, okay? Rrrraoul
Posted by Raoul  on  Fri Jun 01, 2007  at  05:18 PM
when I swam by the photo grapher, I was taken by the thought of Esther Williams in her prime, okay? Let us just say, that that was no dorsal fin in the picture, you know? Ha ha ha, I'm sorry, I should not speak in such a manner... Esther Williams was a pure and noble woman who enjoyed the lust of dark men, and should only be spoken of in hushed tones...
Posted by Raoul  on  Fri Jun 01, 2007  at  05:22 PM
forgive me- I forgot my "Rrrraoul" on my last post... I guess it is the time now for a double dose, okay? Here we are going: RrrrRrrraoul... better, yes?
Posted by Raoul  on  Fri Jun 01, 2007  at  05:25 PM
hmm... I was in Scotland recently... I'm not sure how I got there, or how I escaped, but I did pick up some of the local lingo. Let me try out a bit, eh? ahem... aye, laddie, she's the scrub of me pumpkin, but her knickers have the jib of an Inverness pub-doubler, and her kilt-wilter is sorta crunch-wagglin', but that's ne'er stopped my hobjolly from liftin' the squid, eh? An me aud bugger knockrotter is heftin' the winch-pincher, so Oy've gotta sally me bug-snuggle and go dolfloggle the ladderloch... ow... that hurt
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Jun 01, 2007  at  06:03 PM
actually, I misread the thread title as "New NeTTie Footage", so I apologize if my comment was somewhat off-topic... reminds me of that time I thought the thread said "Accipter invents clone of Charby", when it really said "Evil Alex invents liquid water"... I'm sorry, that was off-topic too. Did you ever get those funny white and red splotches on your palms? My Stupid Brother always called that "The Fifth Disease"... I'll bet it's Morgellon's disease... yeah, I'm sure of it. Ever ask for a compressed-air and water rocket for Christmas, and you got a Jom Gnagy Learn To Draw kit instead? Life's pimple pleasures
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Jun 01, 2007  at  06:16 PM
sorry, I meant JoN Gnagy, not JoM Gnagy. Hey, what do I gnow?
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Jun 01, 2007  at  06:18 PM
And let us not forget that Nessie, even if not real, is protected by law. The British Parlament passed a law many years ago making it a felony, I think, to harm Nessie. The US Congress has yet to accord similar protection to Champie, the creature living in Lake Champlain. It isn't covered, even, by the Endangered Species Act. Start a campaign to accord this mythical creature of local legend as much, or more, protection as any other legendary creature on the planet. Damn it, we're the only superpower left, our legendary creatures deserve better protection than anyone else's legendaary creatures. And while we are at it, lets ban nude pets and farm animals also. Hell, with a little work we can even clothe the wild animals.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Sun Jun 03, 2007  at  09:31 PM