September Morn, the painting that shocked the censor, 1913
The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
Taco Bells buys the Liberty Bell, 1996
Use your left ear to detect lies
The Sandpaper Test, 1960
The Gallery of Fake Viral Images
The Berners Street Hoax, 1810
The boy with the golden tooth, 1593
What do the lines on Solo cups mean?
Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
New From Elliot: Church of the SubGenius
In his new article in the hoaxipedia, Elliot gives some background info on the Church of the SubGenius -- the church which may represent a genuine religious movement, or may be just an elaborate joke.

The Church of the SubGenius is affiliated with the Universal Life Church, "an organization that has been legally (in some states) offering tax-exempt ministerships to all who apply regardless of religious or non-religious affiliation." Years ago I sent away to become a Universal Life Church minister, but I no longer have any clue where I put the sheet of paper saying I'm a minister.

I've sometimes thought about starting my own church. It would be the Church of the Great Hoax. Its motto would be: "Whatever you believe, it's wrong."
Categories: Religion
Posted by The Curator on Wed Sep 05, 2007
I've got the theme song...
Posted by outeast  in  prague  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  05:32 AM
I'd join your church Alex, although if we have to give confessions, just make sure you've got a couple of hours free come my turn wink
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  07:44 AM
The article on the Church of the SubGenius is generally accurate, though I do wish to clarify a couple of points:

1) The Book of the SubGenius was first published in 1983, then republished in 1987.

2) There are approximately 10,000 ordained (paid-up) members worldwide, not 5,000.

3) The Church is not "affiliated" with the Universal Life Church, in that it is not a spin-off, offshoot, schism, or descendant of the ULC. If anything, the Church owes more to the works of Robert Anton Wilson. SubGenius ministers often (usually) ordain themselves under the ULC in order to legally perform marriages. The SubGenius ordination might be considered a legal license to perform marriages, but it hasn't been tested in court the way the ULC has, and the Church isn't wealthy enough to pursue a legal test case. They've had enough trouble raising funds to support Reverend Magdalen, whose child was taken from her due to her SubGenius activities as the article notes. ( More information about her case can be found at my Web site: http://www.modemac.com/wiki/Reverend_Magdalen )
Posted by Modemac  in  Boston  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  10:18 AM
"Whatever you believe, it's wrong."
Then how are you supposed to believe this motto? smile
Posted by FrostBird  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  11:16 AM
SubGenius, shlubgenius... why is the thread accompanied by a pic of Mitt Romney? I'm confused. He's a Mormon, not an authority on submarines
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  11:47 AM
He's trying to make our processing units overload and explode, FrostBird. Then he can freely wander around picking everyone's pockets. wink
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  11:52 AM
>>how are you supposed to believe this motto?<<

That's what makes it the perfect motto.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  12:02 PM
Elliot is pink.
Posted by Floormaster Squeeze  in  Spring Hill, MA  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  01:02 PM
I was just joking. Thanks.
Posted by Floormaster Squeeze  in  Spring Hill, MA  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  01:05 PM
Unfortunately joining an organization that calls itself Church of the Sub Genius would be selling myself short.
Posted by Transfrmr  in  deep trouble  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  03:07 PM
I'm a minister of The Universal Life Church! This was some time ago, but as far as I remember I just had to pay $15 to get my "Official diploma" and an impressive looking ID card.

My blessings to all of you! :-D
Posted by eovti  in  Sandefjord, Norway  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  03:24 PM
Jello Biafra is a member.
Posted by Gee...  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  04:31 PM
The ULC is a fun thing. Unlike, say, the Star Registry, the ULC actually registers you with an official government body, which does confer the rights and abilities promised.. Though using that alone as a basis for declaring tax exemption is *NOT* a good idea.. there's specific clauses and restrictions on tax exemption.
Posted by Robin Bobcat  in  Californian Wierdo  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  08:33 PM
You don't even have to self-declare to be a High Priest / Priestess in the Church of Eris. All males are High Priestesses and all females are High Priests. Unless you aren't.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Wed Sep 05, 2007  at  11:41 PM
Is this actually new to anyone?
Posted by the obvious  on  Thu Sep 06, 2007  at  05:16 PM
DEVO is involved with this. Bob Dobbs is actually on the cover of "Are We Not Men?"
Posted by Rev. Kickstand  on  Tue Sep 11, 2007  at  06:00 PM