The disumbrationist art hoax, 1924
The Olympic Underwear Relay, 1956
The boy with the golden tooth, 1593
Fake Fish Photos
The Sandpaper Test, 1960
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
Did Poe say 'The best things in life make you sweaty'?
Iceberg floats into Sydney Harbor, 1978
The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
Mutant Three-Eyed Toad
image James sent in this photo of a "supposedly mutant toad." He writes, "I would like to know whether it is real or not. I have heard stories about chemicals in ponds effecting the tadpoles, and causing deformaties in frogs legs, maybe the same thing has happened to this toad?"

If it is fake, it's a pretty decent photoshop job. It doesn't look like either the right or left eye has simply been cut-and-pasted into the middle. However, memories of the four-eyed kitten make me want to say it's fake.

Update: The original image was found, thanks to Citizen Premier. So the mutant toad is definitely a fake.
image
Categories: Animals
Posted by The Curator on Mon Aug 22, 2005
i think its fake. i have no proper reason but theres my opinion anyway.
Posted by thunder  in  England  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  03:15 PM
It's a fake. Parts of the outer eyes have been turned an mirrored to build up the middle eye. But indeed, it's a quite good work. You have to examine it very closely to discover the cloned patterns.
Posted by Peter  in  Germany  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  03:52 PM
I think the biggest clue is that the pupil isn't symmetrical, or even close. Although, it is a mutant and that may be a side effect of the mutant third eye....

I vote fake.
Posted by Silentz  in  general  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  04:15 PM
Extra legs in frogs come as a result of a parasitic infection in the leg-bud, not as a result of chemical pollution. I would say any pollution that could cause a frog or toad to grow a third eye would kill it first.
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  04:59 PM
Citizen Premier...I was gonna say that.

It's already been proven that it is, in fact, a parasite that causes all those extra legs. The theory is that the frogs are slowed down by all that malformation and are easier for egrets to catch, which is were the parasite lives part of it's life.
Posted by Gee...  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  05:02 PM
I think it's fake.
A three-eyed toad wouldn't be impossible, but somehow I don't think it would look like that.
However, as I think I mentioned before, the Freakatorium in New York City (a great museum!) has a two-headed turtle named Frick and Frack. I saw it last year, and it was definitely alive and real, and both heads were perfect.
Posted by Big Gary in Dallas  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  06:36 PM
The bottom-left part of the middle eye looks a lot like the bottom left part of the left eye. I don't know a lot about toads, but it doesn't look like a place you would fin a repetitive pattern.

Also, the bottom middle of the middle eye looks blurry.

But still, I say if we have to look for that kind of details, it's pretty good Photoshop job!
Posted by Guillaume Choquette  in  Montr  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  06:57 PM
We have (or had-it might have died by now) a two-headed snake in the San Diego Zoo. Two-headedness even occurs sometimes in humans.
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  08:04 PM

Google image search for "toad," fourth page. Whoever did this sure wasn't a pro hoaxer!
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  09:43 PM
On closer inspection, you can still see the crease going from the third eye to skin.
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  09:52 PM
Good find, Citizen. I tried searching for 'mutant toad' and 'three-eyed toad' but not just 'toad.'
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  10:44 PM
Thanks. I just remembered the "lost monkey poster" case, and how someone discovered that the monkey in the picture was one of the first results when you googled "monkey."
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  11:25 PM
w00t, I'm mentioned on the front page! I'm proud smile
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Mon Aug 22, 2005  at  11:29 PM
...and another eBay auction purchased by Golden Palace goes down the drain.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Tue Aug 23, 2005  at  03:37 AM
It's real. I've heard about this kind of thing for a while. There's a TV show where a little boy goes up to a pond near a nuclear plant and he sees a three- eyed fish that blinks at him. This has been verifeyed. I think it's real.
Posted by booch  on  Tue Aug 23, 2005  at  11:26 AM
so it's fake...eye coulda toad you that...sorry
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Aug 23, 2005  at  02:49 PM
Of course, how do we know that the two-eyed toad is the original? It could have been planted by the government!
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Tue Aug 23, 2005  at  03:32 PM
"w00t, I'm mentioned on the front page!"

Uh, w00t?????
Posted by Big Gary in Dallas  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Tue Aug 23, 2005  at  06:35 PM
Booch said:
" ... a little boy goes up to a pond near a nuclear plant and he sees a three- eyed fish that blinks at him."

Posted by Big Gary, owner of many eyelidless fish  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Tue Aug 23, 2005  at  06:38 PM
Big Gary said:

"Booch said:
' ... a little boy goes up to a pond near a nuclear plant and he sees a three- eyed fish that blinks at him.'

Umm, Booch, next time you hear that a fish blinked, you might want to wonder if somebody's pulling your leg."

Pop culture reference, buddy. Look it up.
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Wed Aug 24, 2005  at  12:01 AM
Remember the recent Lemony Snicket's movie? There was a three-eyed toad that looked a lot like this, the clip was even in the commericals, so lots of people saw it. Seems like that's where the faker might have gotten the idea. Pop culture, la la, pop culture...

See, if I was going to do something like this, I'd take my own picture of a toad to photoshop, and never upload the original. That way the fake couldn't be disproven by someone finding the original on Google, as so very many of today's fakes are.

So, is that a Cane Toad, also known as a Giant Toad? It looks reeeally big....
Posted by Barghest  on  Wed Aug 24, 2005  at  09:16 PM
Just look up the cane toad on yahoo images, silly!

It's obviously not the cane toad. I don't think it's as big as it looks, I think it's just a high-detail photo (macro). This is just a postulate but I'd say the toad looks distinctly North American. It rather resembles the spadefoot toads I have in my house, although it certainly isn't that species.
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Wed Aug 24, 2005  at  10:52 PM
Well, now I'm disappointed. I had heard that cane toads were huge, and for some reason, I wanted them to look more like that fatboy there. He seems, I don't know, jolly....
Posted by Barghest  on  Thu Aug 25, 2005  at  04:37 AM
Booch said:

I think you're referring to The Simpsons, Booch?
Posted by sisscors  on  Sun Aug 20, 2006  at  09:22 AM
impossible ive seen many fakes but with this one its pritty hard to tell but let me tell you there are many 3 eyed frogs out there beacuse i saw one when i was running trew a piuted frog place it was sweet i saw a 3 eyed frog a frog with 2 extra legs it was cool but sad.
Posted by frogs yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  on  Thu May 03, 2007  at  09:28 PM
Obviously fake.

I've seen a lot of animals with extra limbs, horns, and even the occasional head. (I've been working in circuses and side shows almost all my life).

But never ever an extra eye, with no other abnormality.

Freaks are never that pretty.
Posted by CutThroat  in  PHX  on  Mon May 07, 2007  at  08:45 PM
its a farce!
Posted by Granny Wenis  in  nogdd  on  Sat Sep 29, 2007  at  05:24 PM
it's real
Posted by roooooooooooooooooar  in  usa  on  Mon Feb 04, 2008  at  06:20 PM
rolleyes There is definately no such thing as a 3 eyed frog, nor a 3 eyed toad. This is a prop. This is a picture of a toad with a mirror in the middle.
Posted by LORI  in  Grand Island, Ne  on  Sat Aug 30, 2008  at  02:15 AM
Ah good ole blinky
Posted by Mr.Sexy  on  Mon Sep 08, 2008  at  04:03 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >