The boy with the golden tooth, 1593
Can a bar of soap between your sheets ease muscle cramps?
Jean Gauntt, the Immortal Baby, 1939
The most sacred relic: the Holy Foreskin, circa 800 AD
Van Gogh's ear exhibited, 1935
The Nobody For President Campaign, 1940 to Present
The Berners Street Hoax, 1810
Fake Fish Photos
September Morn, the painting that shocked the censor, 1913
BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
Museum of Hoaxes Keyrings
image I received this unusual request in my email today:

My name is Beatriz Damiani and for 20 years I have devoted myself to collecting "keyrings", being my collection, at present, of more than 5600 units from 184 different countries all over the world. Within my collection one of the most important, as well as interesting sets, is the one of "Museums". After long years of hard but enjoyable work, I have been able to obtain keyrings from most Museums but I still lack one from yours. The possibility of incorporating this keyring to my collection would mean a lot to me, that´s why being impossible to obtain it in Argentina, I dare to write to you with this enquiry. Thanking you for all the kindness with which, according to your possibilities, you will consider this letter and loking forward to hearing from you soon.

You can check out Beatriz's keyring collection here. It's quite extensive. (Museum keyrings are four rows down on the left.) Unfortunately I don't have anything to send her. Nor does Cafepress do keyrings, so I can't even create something for her. Pity. It would be cool to have a Museum of Hoaxes keyring. Anyway, her request reminded me of that guy who wanted an entry ticket to the Museum of Hoaxes. I'm still intending to create some MOH tickets (bearing the message: "Admit it. You're gullible.") and send one to him, but I haven't found a printer who can create them. (Though I haven't actually looked very hard yet.)
Categories: Miscellaneous
Posted by The Curator on Wed Feb 22, 2006
Wow...that's a lot of keyrings...

I'm sure you'd be able to find someone to produce keyrings for the Museum.
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Wed Feb 22, 2006  at  01:09 AM
Hullitoons? Job opportunity...
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  earth, 3rd planet, sol system  on  Wed Feb 22, 2006  at  01:12 AM
Just get one of those little plastic keychains designed for sticking a little photo into, put one of the images created for the 'photo of the museum' bit and/or a copy of the homepage in it, and send that, along with an explanation of the museum's true nature.

Alternately, you could just send him *THE MUSEUM ITSELF*... Think about it, those little keychain USB storage devices run about ten bucks now, and that'll get you about 128MB or so - 256 if you're lucky and get one on sale. More than enough for a good-sized chunk of text and a handful of images... A bit excessive, maybe, but he'll have the pride of knowing that his museum keychain collection actually contains one keychain museum!
Posted by Bobcat  on  Wed Feb 22, 2006  at  02:59 AM
1. Find a keychain in your junk drawer
2. Write "Museum of Hoaxes" on a piece of paper
3. Cut it out and glue it to the keychain

Presto! A souvenir keychain that is also a hoax!
Posted by PlantPerson  on  Wed Feb 22, 2006  at  08:32 AM
Bobcat's second idea is really nice, and it would probably be the most distinct keychain in the collection. You could even try to put your logo on it.
Posted by Bill  on  Wed Feb 22, 2006  at  09:21 AM
Great idea, Bobcat. I think I'm going to do that.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Feb 22, 2006  at  12:07 PM
Aw, c'mon! You need to send her one of those footlong wooden dowels they use for gas station restrooms.

You can tell her "Stuckeys" was the former name of the Museum...
Posted by Al Denelsbeck  in  North Carolina  on  Thu Feb 23, 2006  at  05:30 PM
And for the guy who wanted an "entry ticket," I know they sell "Make your own Business cards" cards at Office supply stores, they're thick cardboard like an entry ticket and you can get it so it looks glossy, then just either scan in a real ticket to something and modify the text or make up your own. You can even rip it halfway in half, so it looks like it was used. Oh! and put a physical address on it, so that in the distant future someone can get hoaxed into thinking that 2893 W. Hoh-kiss Lane was the old address of the real museum. Just a thought.
Posted by Eddie D  in  Tucson  on  Tue Feb 28, 2006  at  08:24 PM