Iceberg floats into Sydney Harbor, 1978
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
Boy floats away in balloon, 2009
Life discovered on the moon, 1835
Did Paul McCartney die on Nov. 9, 1966?
Baby Yoga, aka Swinging Your Kid Around Your Head
The most sacred relic: the Holy Foreskin, circa 800 AD
Tube of liquor hidden in prohibition-era boot, 1920s
The Man-Eating Tree of Madagascar Hoax, 1874
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
More 2005 April Fools
Here are a few more April Fools that I missed on Friday:
  • What April Fools prank should you play? (This is actually a quiz, not a hoax. It told me that based on my personality type I should play the stink bomb prank).
  • The MINI Always Open Contract: a detail in the contract requires owners of the MINI Cabrio to always keep the top down, no matter what the weather conditions are.
  • MINI Pullman Edition: MINI also announced the release of a special new model "adapted to ride on all domestic gauge rail lines throughout North America."
  • King Kong Sequels: Peter Jackson announced that he was going to be making back-to-back sequels to his upcoming remake of King Kong. In the sequels the son of Kong would battle Nazis. (See Peter Jackson's Production Diary: Day 123)
  • Maple Woes: NPR's All Things Considered announced that less demand for maple syrup means that New England maple trees are going untapped, leading to disastrous results (exploding maple trees, etc.)
  • Orchestra Steroid Scandal: NPR also reported on a steroid scandal involving classical musicians.
Categories: April Fools Day
Posted by The Curator on Tue Apr 05, 2005
I sat down with Friday's paper specifically to find the April Fools. I was pretty disappointed by the Mini Always Open Contract.

And according to that quiz, I appear to be a very violent person - anyone for some human pinata?! cheese
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  04:02 AM
According to the quiz, you'd better keep a lid on things.

Apparently my prank should be spitting in someone's drink. (Maybe Tim/Gerry's?)
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  04:24 AM
Hey, the people who did that site have Stephen's problem! I checked out the "you know you come from...when..." for Australia, and at the bottom of the list, there's that dreaded extra 'i' in Australia. Sadly, that list is very true. downer
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  04:33 AM
All the ones for Canada seem fairly dead-on.
Except the "mouse/moose" one. I've met people from all across Canada, and the only time I've ever heard a Canadian say "aboot" is when they were making fun of the American's stereotype of Canadians.

Other than that, pretty damned close.

So do Australians know where Austrailia is? How else would they send the list to their friends there?
smile
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  04:54 AM
You get milk in plastic bags??? Wow.

I wonder if the mis-spelling has anything to do with the way we pronounce it - Oztraylia Maaate!

They forgot things like knowing what dinky die is and stuff too. Bloody oath...struth...I think another good one is that we don't realise that our national day is actually a celebration of invading someone's land and claiming it for the british monarchy...even the yankees aren't that crude! LOL
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  05:18 AM
Dinky die?

hmmm

I'm not even gonna guess...
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  05:35 AM
Huh, I should spit in people's drinks too.
I'd like to credit myself with a little more imagination than that, though.

The British thing is odd, though. I admit to having bought a baby BBQ from Tesco, and we call football 'football' because that's what it's called.
But I think it's largely aimed at people from down south.
hmmm
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  05:36 AM
Dinky die, true blue, authentic.

Boo, I can actually relate to a lot of the British ones too without actually having ever been there...(my folks are from the Midlands) So I have a horrible habit of calling it football too and then having to correct myself since people here think football is Aussie Rules (RUBBISH! Cross country ballet, anyone?)

Oh boy, I've opened a can of worms there! I shouldn't diss my own country-people. wink
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  05:48 AM
I'd say you -could- call that quiz a hoax. Just click submit a few times without filling anything in and you get a random answer.

none of them really funny, though.
Posted by nihil  in  groningen  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  06:05 AM
So I should stop spitting in people's drinks now?
hmmm
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  06:13 AM
Ahh, y'know, whatever works for you...
smile
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  06:18 AM
My Prank is "Wearing a Shaving Cream Hat"....
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  06:42 AM
and with exactly the same input, I get "Putting Goldfish in the Water Cooler" the next time...
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  06:47 AM
That's remarkably cruel to the goldfish...
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  06:48 AM
And, with the water coolers we have, remarkably difficult.
...and "Putting Tacks in Shoes" the next time...
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  06:49 AM
allright, this is a conpsiracy; according to my 'Celtic horoscope' I am a Maple Tree....

kaboom!
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  06:52 AM
*conspiracy*
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  06:53 AM
But I must admitt the description fits like a glove:

"There's not anyone in this world quite like you.
You are full of imagination, ambition, and originality.
Shy but confident, you hunger for new experiences.
You have a good memory and learn easily.
You are sometimes nervous and always complex (especially in love)."
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  07:04 AM
Chestnut tree.

You are a born diplomat with a well developed sense of justice.
And even though you're impressive and intimidating, you're also fun to be around.
You can be irritated easily, and you sometimes act superior.
Nevertheless, you are sensitive of others feelings and very loyal.
Sometimes you feel misunderstood and are fiercely close to those who know you best.

Hmmm.
Nah...
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  07:14 AM
Well, I'll be!

According to my Celtic horoscope, I am a small red x inside a small white box, inside a larger white box.

No matter how many times I try, this is the result I get for my birthday.

But change the date, and I always get an answer.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  07:32 AM
Yup, the dreaded little-red-cross comes up in answers to the 'what rejected crayon are you?' one too.

Is it weird that I'm disturbed by it asking the colour of my underwear?
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  07:49 AM
My prank was to loosen the salt shaker at restaurants. Damn, I was looking for something I hadn't done before...
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  10:09 AM
Smerk, I've just read the aussie one and it is so true! The best thing about us I say is that we can have a good laugh at ourselves.
Aussie aussie aussie
oi oi oi!
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  10:14 AM
I took the prank one twice. The second time I got the put goldfish in the water cooler one.
Posted by Dany  in  Texas  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  02:11 PM
I checked out both the rejected crayon (abused spouse blue and abused spouse black??) and the Celtic horoscope - same as LaMa, Maple tree.

Nettie, Aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi!!
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  09:23 PM
Boo, I was distrurbed by having to answer: none.
Posted by Winona  in  USA  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  12:52 AM
Actually, it appears that the Practical Joke Personality Quiz IS, IN FACT, A HOAX!

If you hit the back key and resubmit your quiz with the same answers, you will find that "your joke type" is different every time.

So, isn't that just a really funny quiz?

LAME!!!