Loch Ness Monster Hoaxes
Cursed by Allah
The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
The Olympic Underwear Relay, 1956
Life discovered on the moon, 1835
Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
Monster Crocodile in New Orleans
Michael Maffei sent me some giant crocodile pictures that have begun doing the rounds. They're accompanied by this caption:

Now this is a Crocodile ! This crocodile was found in New Orleans swimming down the street. 21 FT long, 4,500 lbs, around 80 years old minimum. Specialists said that he was looking to eat humans because he was too old to catch animals. This crocodile was killed by the army last Sunday at 3:00 pm, currently he is in the freezer at the Azur hotel. The contents of it's stomach will be analyzed this Friday at 2:30pm.

The pictures are real enough, but they're weren't taken in New Orleans. These are pictures of the Monster Crocodile of Pointe-Noire (in the Republic of the Congo). They've been circulating for over two years. David Emery notes that the crocodile was really estimated to be 16 feet long and weighed about 1874 lbs. That's still a lot bigger than I'd ever care to encounter.

image image image
Categories: Animals, Photos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Sat Sep 17, 2005
What a sad picture! Why does it seem we destroy everything we come across. That crocodile, killed for whatever reason, should be alive, not strung up because other humans fear it. Even though all signs say this image is a hoax, someone had to kill that poor animal.
Posted by Burnsinblack  on  Thu Sep 22, 2005  at  10:28 AM
As if it isnt bad enough that people died in NO, now there has to be some rediculous email circulating. As soon as I saw that I new it was junk!
Posted by ANGIE  in  MICHIGAN  on  Thu Sep 22, 2005  at  11:48 AM
When I saw this email, my eyebrows lowered because it just sounded like something was wrong. I knew about alligators in that area, but I thought crocodiles...okay, maybe. Anyway, now that I know, I've since apologized to those who asked me about it and sent this site to my friend who sent the message to me. They are incredible pictures that didn't need to be sensationalized.
Posted by Tricia  in  N.Y.  on  Thu Sep 22, 2005  at  12:18 PM
Even Utahns can tell the difference between reality and a hoax. It was probably someone in Wyoming or Idaho that started this. This is like saying the fish in the Great Salt Lake swim backwards to keep the salt out of their eyes....
Posted by Jason  in  SLC  on  Thu Sep 22, 2005  at  01:08 PM
There are a couple of other clues indicating that this isn't in America. The men standing around in the pictures are obviously "true" Africans and not African American. Most African Americans are lighter in skin pigmentation. Not to mention the clothes that they are wearing. Also, given the media frenzy, such an event would have made the news in a big way. The markings on side of the container are also strange looking.
Posted by Harold  in  Frederick, MD  on  Thu Sep 22, 2005  at  01:33 PM
Kade is the jerk that didn't believe the email and here is the real truth about the croc. Sorry to ruin your day. He likes to do that. Ashley
Posted by LaRee Sperry  on  Thu Sep 22, 2005  at  03:12 PM
For completeness can somebody on this forum write
important points of difference between alligators
and crocodiles? Also, can I find one of these in
Iceland? (to eat of course) I am sick of eating
these damn seals round the year!
Posted by Igloo  on  Thu Sep 22, 2005  at  03:37 PM
I belive that that a crocodile but just not from the U.S.. Especialy not over in N.O. Somebody dosen't have thir facts straight. :-{
Posted by The 1 and Only  on  Thu Sep 22, 2005  at  03:43 PM
WHAT A CROC(K)!!!
Posted by Louise  in  Qu  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  12:45 AM
Were there any Alligators found in New Orleans after the storm was over. When thay started pumping the water out of the city. I could see were thay may be atracted bye the smill of dead bodys? But there has'nt been ant report of seeing any in the city ? Just wondering ???
Posted by Rick Cavitt  in  Sikeston,Mo.  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  08:59 AM
Poor thing. Only man can ruin this world for all creatures who share it with us. Notice these are all guys?. These are the humans that should have been on the menu. <slurp> yum!
Posted by Wando'  in  Florida  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  09:04 AM
I knew this was fake the second I saw it & read the story. The only Crocs in the US are the American Croc, and this is obviously a Nile Croc. Amer Crocs are found only in Florida. They never get too old to catch animals, as they are ambush hunters. And those people! They are definitely NOT american - I wish we dressed that nice in this country. Called it B.S. right away
Posted by nunz  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  09:33 AM
I wonder..... where in the whole grand scheme of things do you guys see a license plate. Your words "license plate on the truck is not american." Is as big a lie as the pictures. Next time try to keep your smartness exactly where it belongs. To you.
Posted by None  in  Indiana  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  09:54 AM
Someone asked the question as to where are the 'gators in New Orleans after Katrina hit. If the water was so polluted that people were getting chemical burns, then isn't it reasonable to expect the 'gators and snakes to NOT stick around? I expect we'll hear about these when the water is cleansed a bit more.
Posted by Bob Mitchell  in  Denver  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  09:57 AM
Why is there an American Crocodile then? And why can it be readily found here in Florida? Was your book missing a few pages? I seriously doubt the stories authenticity, but with an act of Nature the size and magnitude of that storm I'm not going to hastily pass off any of the stories that come out of N.O.
Posted by Robie  in  Central Florida  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  10:02 AM
Some people have left some really stupid comments. Sideways baseball caps and baggy pants - that was just wrong to try to sterio type all black people. I work with black people decked out in suits and ties.

As far as the poor animal having to die. I guess I should have respect for those that believe in the rights of animals. I personally have no problem with the thing being dead if they had no way to capture it safely. It did however need to be away from where humans were.

Some guy also said crocs don't exist in the states - research before you post buddy. There are crocs in south Florida - although they don't generally get as large as crocs in other parts of the world. Florida might be the only place that crocs and alligators coexist - notice I said "might be" though.
Posted by mike  in  florida  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  12:18 PM
I work for a large insurance company and this email got circulated through hundreds of our agencies. It only took a few hours to debunk it as a hoax, but it goes to show how damaging phoney emails can be. Somehow, the origin of the email implied that the photos were from a pending insurance claim with our company, so the believability was real for many staff people. Now we're spending even more hours circulating the hoax factor, what a waste of time and money this created.
Posted by mary  in  cleveland ohio  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  12:26 PM
True crocs are not native to NO but there are zoos and other establishments that might have monster crocs. But good to know that there wasn't one swimming around making things worse for NO
Posted by B Kennedy  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  12:29 PM
I knew this was fake the first time i saw it.If it was true the news stations would still be talking about it. Also all black guys do not have dreadlocks,wear the caps to the side or wear baggy pants.
Posted by kitty  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  01:29 PM
I get so many email hoaxes that I HAD to verify it before I hit forward. It also bothered me that I couldn't see a license plate.
Posted by Ms. D  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  01:45 PM
Anyone know what this monster ate while he enjoyed his stay in Nawlins?
Posted by Just Curious  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  04:56 PM
red face got me and alot of my friends but glad I looked it up.. Thanks every one for all the info boy do we feel silly : excaim
Posted by debbie  in  las vegas nevada  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  06:09 PM
Ok yes there are no Crocodiles in New orleans the furthest north they are in North America Is SW Florida. For you people that thought there were no crocs in the states im sorry but you are very much wrong! The North American Crocodile with a max length of 20 feet but unconfirmed larger ones have been heard of. they are very rare so I doubt anyone here will ever see one unless they go to the everglades to Wootens, they have a quite large specimen there. if no one belives me look it up and you can see how wrong you actually are!

Rob
Posted by Robert  in  N Fort Myers, Florida.  on  Fri Sep 23, 2005  at  10:30 PM
Too funny! Some people will believe anything they read. A giant croc looking to eat people, on film, in New Orleans and nothing on the news. Aside from that, based on the clothing none of the black guys appear to be African American, more likely African. And no plates or other company insignia on the truck.
Posted by gman  in  St Louis MO  on  Sat Sep 24, 2005  at  12:09 PM
excaim fucking idiots excaim
Posted by melliibabii  on  Sat Sep 24, 2005  at  04:51 PM
This is hilarious.....
The guys on the dock don't even dress like Americans....
Where's their baggy pants, at least one of them should be holding up their britches,
What, no white Nikes and no big tees.....
Hmm, no tag on the truck?
If it were shot, where are the wounds?...where is the blood?......
not one drop anywhere on the truck...
......how did it die.....how gory can I get?
If the Army killed it, where are they and why are they not helping put in on the truck?
Think about it..........
This..... is.....a...real croc-odile story.......
Posted by Mom of 4  in  Charlotte NC  on  Sat Sep 24, 2005  at  10:08 PM
What a croc(k)!

Louise, Qu
Posted by Louise  in  Qu  on  Sun Sep 25, 2005  at  01:09 AM
"Only man can ruin this world for all creatures?"

What a dimwit. So are all the other animal rights wackos posting their drivel ("poor crocodile," etc.)...simply because there are no clues as to how, exactly, this animal died.

Oh, just assume everything is the fault of humans. If so, why are you still here?

Sheesh...PETA dorks.
Posted by nonanimalrightswacko  on  Sun Sep 25, 2005  at  04:49 AM
I live in Chas. South Carolina, U.S.A., AND unfortn'ly we in the are getting "crocks" up here...the "4 legged man-eating type and the 2 legged "full of "crock"..type"
Due to all the B A D huricanes we(of the lower US) have had in the past years what IS TO STOP crocks from being "washed/blown/H2O[storm-surge] pushed" from it's " beaten S.Americas/Mexico pathes, & then up here??? ANY where along the lower coastlines.
I know after Hugo(a huge Africian born storm] we in the lowcountry got all kinds of African "transplants"; plants, birds, trees, weeds!!!! So how could a swimming H2O (amfib)animal be exempted from this FORCED movement???? My 2nd. thought after; "God, what a size" was "WHY did they kill it????!!!" I know all the obvious answ. man-eaters...bla bla bla...but if God allowed it to live to "whatever sz.& age it was where does man have the right to take it's life???
above e-m comment: "Just rehabilitate it, it's not that big a deal."
Yes, it is. It's not able to be done, trying teaching a snake not to strike!! !! They have a brain the size of a pea..they ARE a KILLING MACHINE BUT WE AS humans ARE "smarter ??" just keep out of their "turf" problem solved!! Ps; Jorge;" seriously needs to be sent back to school and learn where crocs live and where alligators live." J. We live here...you do not...we KNOW what lives around, with or near us....We maybe Southerners...but not dumb as "you folks" might think. & as to "what would this fellow would eat.....ANYTHING HE[she} WANTED>>>>>I can NOT think of anyone/thing...big enough to tell it NO !!!!!
Posted by J Wm  in  Charleston, South Carolina  on  Sun Sep 25, 2005  at  01:42 PM
how dumb do some people think that we are. had this been in new orleans it would have been on the news..everything has been on the news except this.. look at the plates and the people who are suspose to be military.. and how did they freeze it with no electricity?? and on and on
Posted by twyla  in  united states  on  Sun Sep 25, 2005  at  02:31 PM
Comments: Page 2 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›