Female thieves hide money in their bras, 1950
Brief History of Triple-Decker Buses
The Nobody For President Campaign, 1940 to Present
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
Samsung invents the on/off switch
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
Cat that walked 3000 miles to find its owners, 1951
Lord Gordon-Gordon, robber of the robber barons, 1871
The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
Minor Change
I decided to add a few visuals to the top of the page. I thought it was looking a bit too plain before. I wonder if anyone can identify all the figures without looking through the museum to find out what they are. (There's no prize. I'm just curious if anyone can do it.)

At some point I'll make the figures clickable, so that they'll link to whatever they represent, but that's a bit of work. I'll save that project for later.

Also, from time to time I might change them around. Take some out, put in a few new ones. It's quite easy to do. I can even have special ones for holidays like Christmas, Halloween, and April Fool's Day, like Google does.
Categories: Miscellaneous
Posted by The Curator on Thu Aug 23, 2007
I think I can guess 6 without checking smile
Posted by Sharruma  in  capable of finishing a coherent  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  03:44 AM
I recognized five of them right off.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  04:22 AM
Recognized 7 of them by name, plus one by image (i.e. know what it is about but cannot connect a name to it)
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  04:27 AM
I can name six of them, I think. A seventh I know what it is/about because I just read about it MoH (book) not two days ago even if I don't remember the exact name.

Two more I can guess at. The others I don't know.

And the reason I said six "I think" is because... Is that the big MV third from the right? I guess that was one of the biggest hoaxes of modern times. I still have the CD.

And is that only supposed to be on the front page? They're not supposed to be part of the banner everywhere? (Like on this page where the comments show where the images are not across the banner?)
Posted by Tah  in  Idaho (Yes, Idaho)  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  04:44 AM
Know 7 of them (pretty sure, anyway). Think I know one more. Stumped by the rest though... Not too good really!
Posted by outeast  in  Prague, Czech Rep  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  04:57 AM
i think the pictures are a great addition more color.
Posted by kristina  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  05:40 AM
Hmm...

1) Dude with his head in his chest is from The Works Sir John de Mandeville

2) Winged lady is from The Great Moon Hoax

3) The little pixie-thingy is from The Cottingley Fairies (stupid Conan Doyle...)

4) That's a jackalope!

5) Erm... no idea. A UFO of some kind?

6) That's a guy trying to fly by breathing. Through giant tubes. Whilst on skies.

7) Stumped again, this time by the horse.

8) Bigfoot! From the really really famous Patterson footage.

9) Milli Vanilli (shudders)

10) 9/11 Guy, standing on the World Trade Center and about to be hit by a "plane."

11) Snowball, the radioactive giant kitty.

*goes off to check on the mystery 2*
Posted by Wonkavator  in  New York State, USA  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  08:57 AM
Oh, well, if we're actually putting up answers... I'm pretty sure no. 5 is one of the Martians from WotW; and is the horse Clever Hans? (Incidentally, I thought 1 was from Marco Polo...)

I remain defiantly proud that I did not recognize Milli Vanilli.
Posted by outeast  in  Prague, Czech Rep  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  09:02 AM
Yes, I think #5 is from WotW...and I was stumped with the horse and Milli Vanilli, too. And I now know what books are on my to (re)read next list. smile
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  09:10 AM
I went and looked up the horse--it's from the Society for Indecency to Naked Animals. But I still can't find the tripod-thingy. It doesn't look much like the aliens from WoW... at least not the versions I've seen.
Posted by Wonkavator  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  09:37 AM
might I suggest the use of flash animation to make the characters dance around a bit. Except for Milli Vanilli. I'd be nauseous (Girl you know it's true) blarf glarg urp. Ugh. I warned ya
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  10:03 AM
Nice Alex... I Likey!

I was shocked to see Milli Vanilli there, mainly because I referenced them in yesterday's OTCC thread.

*Spooky*
Posted by oppiejoe  in  Michigan - USA  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  10:10 AM
That is supposed to be a Martian tripod from WotW. However, I'd like to find a better picture of one. It's surprising how hard it is to find a really good picture of a Martian tripod that doesn't have a screaming person blocking half of it, or something else like that.

I'm going to add the icons to the comments page soon.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  12:17 PM
Nice Alex! I noticed them right away and only after did I read the title of this post LOL

Definitely a great idea. 8/10 off the bat smile I think flash animation might end up being a bit much, unless maybe it only activated on mouse-over wink Good idea linking them to the articles!
Posted by Transfrmr  in  deep trouble  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  08:20 PM
I like the pictures at the top!!
And thank you for including my generation's greatest pop group, Milli Vanilli!
Posted by Big Gary  in  Boca Chica, Texas  on  Thu Aug 23, 2007  at  08:25 PM
I'm disgusted with myself for not recognizing Milli Vanilli. I'm a HUGE fan of Rob and Fab. Not really, but someone should say that, just to keep the dream alive.

Yes, the horse is from Alan Abel's Society for Indecency to Naked Animals. One of my regrets in life is that I no longer have the SINA stuff that Alan gave me when he locked up his teensy-weensy office at 507 5th Ave. in NYC. One of the items was the Official SINA Magazine with a lovely copy of the "horse wearing boxers" drawing on the cover.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Aug 24, 2007  at  05:51 AM
Hey, Alex, I like the picture of Barnum's American Museum as the Museum of Hoaxes avatar. Cute!
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Tue Aug 28, 2007  at  04:38 AM