Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
Did Paul McCartney die on Nov. 9, 1966?
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
The Great Space Monkey Hoax, 1953
The Olympic Underwear Relay, 1956
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
Jean Gauntt, the Immortal Baby, 1939
Man overuses fake funeral excuse
I'm guessing there's at least one guy like this in every company. The Mainichi Daily News reports:

A tax inspector has resigned after being punished for telling bosses that relatives had died in order to claim compassionate leave on 11 occasions, officials said...
His bosses discovered the scam when he told them in September last year that his grandmother's funeral was being held at a funeral hall, which was found not to exist.
It was learned that he'd taken 10 more days off between 2004 and 2007, falsely claiming a relative had died each time. Moreover, it emerged that the man also went home on 11 other occasions in 2006 and 2007 by faking business trips.
Categories: Business/Finance
Posted by The Curator on Mon Apr 07, 2008
Dear Alex: can you give a note for work saying I'm unable to come in for the rest of the week due to sumatter? Thanks loads
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Apr 07, 2008  at  10:58 PM
This is certainly original. The guy must have been a good actor if he showed any grief when he returned to work.
Posted by KDP  in  Madill, Oklahoma  on  Tue Apr 08, 2008  at  10:41 AM
I only asked for funeral leave once. But it's not like I had to show a death certificate or anything. 11 people is a lot in a few years...but with the way my grandfather's family is aging, we had 4 deaths in 2 years...I didn't attend any of the funerals b/c they were all out of state. But had they been local I surely would have gone.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Tue Apr 08, 2008  at  01:39 PM
Hey, Maegan! Where about in Tampa are ya'? I'm over here in Tampa as well... Brandon, to be exact...
Posted by Christopher  in  Warm, sunny Florida...  on  Wed Apr 09, 2008  at  05:44 AM
How does one "fake" a business trip? This guys a genius, if his boss doesnt know when his own employee is going on business trips, the guy deserves all the days off he can fake!
Posted by Crazygut  in  San Francisco  on  Mon Apr 14, 2008  at  04:20 PM