The most sacred relic: the Holy Foreskin, circa 800 AD
Use your left ear to detect lies
The boy with the golden tooth, 1593
Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
The Great New York Zoo Escape Hoax, 1874
Van Gogh's ear exhibited, 1935
The Nazi Air Marker Hoax, 1942
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
Did Paul McCartney die on Nov. 9, 1966?
Man Makes Fake Moon Dirt
Dr. James L. Carter has a weird job. He manufactures fake moon dirt. His company, ETSimulants, produces tons of it every year. His primary customer is NASA, who needs fake moon dirt to test machines that might need to operate on the moon. In an interview with Pegasus News Dr. Carter explains:

"When you land on the moon, all this dry, dry dust blows into the space craft’s engines. The astronauts’ safety rests on this substance being correct. There can be no mechanical failures once you’re parked on the moon’s surface.”

I'm sure he could make some good money if he put his product in little glass bottles and sold it on eBay. After all, if eBay shoppers will buy genuine air from Loch Ness, they'll also buy fake dirt from the moon.
Categories: Exploration/Travel, Science
Posted by The Curator on Mon Jan 28, 2008
For some reason, this makes me think of the guy who sells the Major Leagues the special mud that umpires rub on new baseballs before they're used in a game.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Mon Jan 28, 2008  at  03:02 AM
By "eBay shoppers" you mean yourself, right? And by "he could make some good money if he put his product in little glass bottles and sold it on eBay" you mean "please please please please please please please put your product in little glass bottles and sell it on eBay", right?

tongue wink
Posted by outeast  on  Mon Jan 28, 2008  at  07:07 AM
I'd buy it!
Posted by Nona  on  Mon Jan 28, 2008  at  07:25 AM
I got to touch a Moon rock at the Smithsonian's Air and Space museum so why not sell fake Moon dirt? The Moon is made of the same stuff as the Earth is and I'd buy some if it was reasonably priced. I was even hoping I could find some information on ETSimulants but they don't have a company website.

Just think of all the pun possibilities, "Moon earth lunancy sweeping the nation!"
Posted by MadRat  on  Mon Jan 28, 2008  at  05:44 PM
>>By "eBay shoppers" you mean yourself, right?<<

I have a little bottle of ash from Mt. St. Helens that's been sitting on my bookshelf for over 20 years. I think a bottle of fake moon dirt would be the perfect companion for it.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Mon Jan 28, 2008  at  11:36 PM