The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
Mule elected G.O.P. committeeman, 1938
A black lion: real or fake?
The Great Space Monkey Hoax, 1953
Burger King's Left-Handed Whopper Hoax, 1998
The Lovely Feejee Mermaid, 1842
Dog wins art contest, 1974
Fake Photos of Very Large Animals
What do the lines on Solo cups mean?
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
Natural History Museum to provide positive identification of Nessie
According to the Daily Mail, recently released documents from the archives of the British Natural History Museum reveal that in 1987 the Museum struck a deal with the bookmaker William Hill. The Museum agreed that, should the body of the Loch Ness Monster ever be found, the Museum would provide "positive identification." Only if it receives a positive id, will the bookmaker pay out on bets about the creature's existence. (It offers odds of 500/1 on the Loch Ness Monster being found within a year.)

It seems like a pretty good deal for the Museum, since the bookmaker pays them £1,000 per year to maintain the contract.
Categories: Cryptozoology, Nessie
Posted by The Curator on Wed Sep 16, 2009
Is William Hill accepting any competitive bids? I'd be willing to make the same guarantee for a lot less. That is, for an annual retainer (shall we say, 100 pounds?), I'll promise that if anybody finds and delivers a real monster from Loch Ness, I'll identify it.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Edinburg, Texas  on  Wed Sep 16, 2009  at  11:50 AM
But Big Gary, if you identified it, who'd believe it? If you identified it, would you believe the identification you gave? Besides, how much does a thousand pounds go when dealing with an institution like the Natural History Museum? Pays for, what, a couple of minutes of operation? No me, for 100 pounds a year (what's the exchange rate, and are these English or Scottish pounds), I'd be willing to say "That's something alright." I'd even do press conferences. If I hadn't trimmed my beard down I'd look the part better, more like the "crazy old proffessor" type.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Wed Sep 16, 2009  at  12:45 PM
It still sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. wink
Posted by daveprime  in  Deep in the sticks...*yay internet!!*  on  Wed Sep 16, 2009  at  10:29 PM
Why settle on identifying just Nessie? Branch out and make an offer to identify all those other well-known creatures that haunt the forests, deserts and mountains. Take a retainer on each and that would add up to a tidy yearly income.
Posted by KDP  in  Madill, OK  on  Thu Sep 17, 2009  at  12:12 PM
KDP, I was going to say something in reply but decided to not do so. Therefore I tender this explanation as to why I am not responding to your comment. Since I am identifying this as a non-reply to your comment, please remit 100 English Pounds, immediately.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Thu Sep 17, 2009  at  12:21 PM
Illinois residents fall for a "buried treasure" prank that was planted 50 years earlier. Longest Time-Delayed Prank in History
Posted by gratis cat  on  Tue Oct 20, 2009  at  12:47 AM