Taco Bells buys the Liberty Bell, 1996
The Sandpaper Test, 1960
Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
Baby Yoga, aka Swinging Your Kid Around Your Head
Iceberg floats into Sydney Harbor, 1978
The Man-Eating Tree of Madagascar Hoax, 1874
Jean Gauntt, the Immortal Baby, 1939
Can a bar of soap between your sheets ease muscle cramps?
Jesus appears in yet another tree
image Here's yet another image of Jesus on a tree to add to my collection.

Irma Lopez, of Moorpark, CA, was watering her front yard when, she says, "I noticed an area on the tree that resembles Jesus. I threw down the hose and told my daughter Lisa to come outside." Lisa happens to be pregnant, and neighbors are suggesting that the image and her pregnancy might somehow be related... i.e. that the sudden appearance of the image is a "sign of God," "a true blessing for her and her family." More likely, it's just another case of pareidolia.

Sometimes these faces in trees are easy to see, but quite frankly, I'm not seeing anything on this tree.
Categories: Pareidolia, Religion
Posted by The Curator on Fri Aug 03, 2007
I do see the face. With the bark arc above it, it looks like an austere looking, bearded monk. So I'll go for Rasputin instead of Jesus.
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Sat Aug 04, 2007  at  02:35 AM
It looks sort of like a fetus to me. Which I suppose could be a very young Jesus, technically speaking.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Sat Aug 04, 2007  at  03:26 AM
To me, it looks like Jesus needs some food. His cheeks are a little sunken in.
Posted by Mera  on  Sat Aug 04, 2007  at  04:22 AM
Are these people trying to claim that her unborn child is the New Immaculate Conception? I mean, they're saying that the appearance of "Jesus" and her pregnancy are connected somehow.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sat Aug 04, 2007  at  06:08 AM
sorta looks like that bearded fugitive fellow we hear so much about, but never seem to find,,, I won't mention his name, for fear of sparking some data-mining trawl of my life by The Man, but I'll give you a hint: it's not Dustin Hoffman as God from Luc Besson's "The Messenger"... or is it?
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sat Aug 04, 2007  at  09:45 AM
I'm amazed they're trying to connect the pregnancy to the 'Jesus Tree'. Like Cranky Media Guy said, immaculate conception was the first thing I thought they were implying.

If that pregnant girl is a virgin then I'm Nelson Mandela.
Posted by Renquist  in  Glasgow, Scotland  on  Sat Aug 04, 2007  at  12:57 PM
So, if I ever find myself with an unwanted pregnancy... I can just look for Jesus in my tree, and then state that it's God's child!

Albeit, honestly, if I was to ever have an immaculate conception, I would tell God that if he didn't give me some child support, I would abort the ass of the second coming of Christ.
Posted by Mera  on  Sun Aug 05, 2007  at  03:53 AM
This Just In: God has demanded a paternity test in the Case of the Tree-related Pregnancy.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Aug 05, 2007  at  04:51 AM
Zombie with a goiter. That's what I see.
Posted by Ruben  in  Seattle  on  Sun Aug 05, 2007  at  08:00 AM
I like the avaitor sunglasses he's wearing. Just like a pair of carrera sunglasses I own. I guess this tree faces the sun light. Actually though it looks like it was painted on the tree.
Posted by Johan  on  Sun Aug 05, 2007  at  09:03 AM
How do we know it isn't Charles Manson?
Posted by Phred22  on  Sun Aug 05, 2007  at  12:02 PM
Alex, this is one of those "visions" that someone has to point out to you in order for you to know you've had it... initially, when I went to the large version of the picture, the first thing I thought was, "What the hell am I supposed to be looking at???" My ex was like that though. She was of Native American decent, and was one of those, "God can use any means he wants to to communicate to you (eagles, wolves, trees, dogs, cats, etc.)." Some people out there are freakier than the message they are tryin' to sell you on...
Posted by Christopher  in  Joplin, Missouri  on  Sun Aug 05, 2007  at  07:19 PM
Christopher said:

"She was of Native American decent, and was one of those, 'God can use any means he wants to to communicate to you (eagles, wolves, trees, dogs, cats, etc.).'"

I'm not a believer but I don't specifically object to people taking lessons from nature. If you're inclined that way, you don't have to hallucinate that you see things in tree knots, however.

You COULD just look at animals and nature and find qualities that you'd like to emulate. It's SO much more fun to play "connect the dots" with naturally-occurring stuff, I guess.

Yes, Christopher, this IS one of those "visions" you only see after someone points it out to you--and after you tilt your head, squint and maybe drink three beers.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Aug 05, 2007  at  10:39 PM
I don't see Jesus. I do however see a face that looks a lot like those "kitchen witches".

When I squint it looks like Captain Hook smile

I'm a lot of fun when I take Rorshach tests.
Posted by MadCarlotta  in  Canada  on  Sat Aug 11, 2007  at  08:17 PM