The Stone-Age Tasaday Hoax, 1971
The worms inside your face
The Great Wall of China Hoax, 1899
Bizarre pictographs of Emmanuel Domenech, 1860
The Man-Eating Tree of Madagascar Hoax, 1874
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
Brief History of Triple-Decker Buses
Tube of liquor hidden in prohibition-era boot, 1920s
The disumbrationist art hoax, 1924
Japanese dolls made out of real human corpse skin?
Could it be? So claims this email:
The pictures below are Japanese dolls which are created by using real human corpse skin and hair! Seeing these pictures are enough to freak anybody out! I am not sure how authentic these Japanese dolls are but if you were to look closely at the pictures, you will notice some red blood lines around the nose, eyes and mouth area. This means if they really used human corpse skin, they actually sliced the face out to be put on these dolls!
imageimageimageimageimage
image image image image image

Two reasons why these dolls are obviously not made out of human skin:

a) Human skin would not be a good material to use for dolls. Like leather, it would turn brownish and grow hard. Not that I have any experience working with human skin, mind you.

b) These dolls are the creations of Japanese sculptor Yoshiko Hori. (Credit goes to Spluch for tracking this down.) And even though she calls them "dolls in the flesh," I can't find any report of her fashioning the dolls out of human tissue.
Categories: Birth/Babies, Body Manipulation
Posted by The Curator on Wed Aug 22, 2007
Not human skin, maybe, but definitely uncanny valley...
Posted by outeast  in  Prague, Czech Rep  on  Wed Aug 22, 2007  at  04:14 AM
They still look scary O.o
Posted by Nameless  in  London, marshmellow land  on  Wed Aug 22, 2007  at  04:30 AM
I'm gonna have nightmares! :-O
Posted by eovti  in  Sandefjord, Norway  on  Wed Aug 22, 2007  at  07:26 AM
These dolls are very popular among the anime fans. You can also see a large group of BJD Doll fans (with their dolls) on my own youtube: OTAKON 2007 THREE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ09wuZrEMo . They are not an inexpensive hobby (starting at about $250): "Super Dollfie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -

Super Dollfie is a ball-jointed doll (BJD) first manufactured by Volks, a Japanese doll company. Popularity is due to their personalities and appealing appearance, as well as quality manufacture. The dolls are anatomically correct, about 22 inches/57~60cm in height, strung together by thick elastic and are made of polyurethane resin. Super Dollfies (SD) are highly customizable - wigs, eyes, face paint, and even hands, feet, heads and other body parts may be changed, if desired.
Posted by hulitoons  in  Abingdon, Maryland  on  Wed Aug 22, 2007  at  07:29 AM
Sorry, but of few of them have those "SPACE ALIEN" eyes. That's the REAL creepy part about them. I've never seen a human that had alien features.
Posted by Christopher  in  Joplin, Missouri  on  Wed Aug 22, 2007  at  08:39 AM
These are meant to look 'elven', not quite 'human'!
Posted by hulitoons  in  Abingdon, Maryland  on  Wed Aug 22, 2007  at  09:19 AM
I agree, Mr/Ms Hulitoons, they do appear elven. In fact, I find them eerily reminiscent of the elven lead characters in Jim Henson's "Dark Crystal" film from the 80's. Those guys creeped me out too
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Aug 22, 2007  at  09:53 AM
Nothing wrong with these dolls, I'd say. I's all about personal taste. I wouldn't mind getting one myself.
But it is a bit disturbing to know that in the same country there are manufacturers who make anatomically correct, full height dolls for more 'adult' uses.
Knowing the Japanese, before long they'll be implementing responsive A.I.
Posted by FrostBird  in  The Old Continent, Chaos Kingdom  on  Wed Aug 22, 2007  at  11:52 AM
Well, they're already doing that: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2919345.stm

http://plexos.com/Robots.htm and this little guy!!!

"Sony Develops Small Biped Entertainment Robot

With Ability to Adopt Its Movement to a Variety of Situations and Offering Rich Communication

Tokyo, Japan - Sony Corporation today announced the development of a prototype small biped entertainment robot "SDR-4X" that can adapt its performance to its environment and situations found in the home to further develop the possibility for a biped-walking robot. Richer communication with people can be realized by a variety of sensor systems, performance control software based on memory and learning, and a flexible biped walking mechanism......."
Posted by hulitoons  in  Abingdon, Maryland  on  Wed Aug 22, 2007  at  12:08 PM
Actually, it's the far-too-human dolls that scares me, not the elvish ones.
Posted by eovti  in  Sandefjord, Norway  on  Wed Aug 22, 2007  at  05:15 PM
(Whimper)
Posted by ting.gong  in  New York  on  Wed Aug 22, 2007  at  06:50 PM
The first one looks like Chucky...lol

But seriously, I agree with the "uncanny valley" comment...some of 'em are pretty damn creepy.
Posted by Josh  in  Texas  on  Wed Aug 22, 2007  at  09:33 PM
It just reminds me of The Grudge.. really freaky.
Posted by merve  on  Fri Aug 24, 2007  at  07:21 AM
"Human skin would not be a good material to use for dolls. Like leather, it would turn brownish and grow hard."

Not if it's undergone Gunther van Hagens' plastination process: http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html
Posted by JoeDaJuggler  in  St. Louis, MO  on  Fri Aug 24, 2007  at  06:20 PM
Yep, those are dollfies alright. But I've played with my friends dollfies before, (I want some of my own, but alas, the one I want is $600 and that's never going to happen.) and they're definitely not that creepy. Her's look normal and cute.
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Fri Aug 24, 2007  at  07:13 PM
I can't tell from the images but I guess these dolls are life-sized given the worry over their being covered in human skin. To keep the skin on the doll, if it is skin, it would have to be sewn on. Is there any pictures of the dolls to determine if there is any such stiching?
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Sun Aug 26, 2007  at  01:33 AM
Dollfies are NOT make with human skin. The Email is a hoax. The end.
Posted by Lynx  on  Thu Sep 13, 2007  at  11:52 PM
I remember I once saw a picture of the before/after of one of those dolls. The one in the bottom/right side. I remember it.
It's decomposed a bit. Whatever it is, from the shape of the lips, and the picture I saw, I can say that it was made out materials that can easily decompose. ..that means skin to me.
Posted by Myra_matches  in  Canada  on  Sun Oct 28, 2007  at  02:43 PM
I would seriously crap my pants if I saw any of those in real life.
Posted by meh  on  Mon Nov 05, 2007  at  07:52 PM
They are not made of human or any other one living skin. Plastic and resin, that's all, that's final. The "decomposed" pictures are a hoax too! Stop reading trash media and get real. Why would you want to demonize the Japanese toy makers, anyway? That is racist.
Posted by Lenore  in  Kentucky  on  Wed Mar 12, 2008  at  09:31 PM
grin please send me pictures about your dolls im looking for a doll realy large i like to use them in shows for church plays
Posted by randy beckwith  in  knoxville  on  Tue Apr 28, 2009  at  02:25 PM
In the 1800's and earlier, children of wealthy families sometimes had special dolls made for them designed to look like them. They did go as far as using the child's own hair, but not skin as far as I've heard. wink
Posted by Ana Maea Chitara  in  New Zealand  on  Sat Jul 17, 2010  at  05:14 PM