The Lovely Feejee Mermaid, 1842
Script of Casablanca rejected, 1982
Brief History of Triple-Decker Buses
Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
September Morn, the painting that shocked the censor, 1913
Jaleel White Commits Suicide
Status: Hoax
The latest false celebrity death rumor going around concerns Jaleel White (best known for playing Urkel on Family Matters). Supposedly he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head. This rumor is old. It was first posted on my site over half a year ago (in the comments to my post titled 'Is this Jaleel White?'). It's no truer now than it was then. I have no idea why it's begun circulating again, but here are the main highlights from the hoax AP report:
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Jaleel White, who played 'nerdy' neighbor Steve Urkel on "Family Matters" found dead Monday. He was 29 years old.
White was pronounced dead on arrival after admission to an LA hospital early Monday morning. The death is being investigated as a suicide.
Born Jaleel Ahmad White, he began his career at the age of three acting in television commercials, before landing guest spots on shows such as "The Jeffersons" and "Mr. Belvedere." It was in 1989 that White landed the role that would make him famous, playing wacky neighbor 'Steve Urkel' on the ABC program "Family Matters."
Following the cancellation of "Family Matters" in 1997, friends claim White became obsessed with the character, and grew despondent, despite further successes as star and producer of the UPN sitcom "Grownups", and as a writer for NBA.com
Neighbor and friend, Bradley Spencer alerted police after hearing what he described as "a loud bang" coming from White's Los Angeles apartment.
Authorities state that upon entering the home they discovered a young African-American male with an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Also found was a note, which read simply "Did I do that?", a popular catchphrase from the show.
Like I said, this was all posted on my site over half a year ago. Which means that when people did a Google search for info about Jaleel White committing suicide, my site was one of the first they found. Because of this, my page about Jaleel White started to receive huge amounts of traffic. So much traffic that it was not only slowing the entire site down, but was also slowing other sites that were located on the same server at my web host. Nevin, the technical guy at my web host, has been exchanging emails with me about it all day. What we've done to try to ease the strain on the server is to automatically route people visiting the comments for that old Jaleel White thread to my page about false celebrity death rumors (which is a static page and therefore uses less of the cpu).
Categories: Celebrities, Death
Posted by The Curator on Mon Jun 05, 2006
am so gladejaleel is not dead he is a very fine actor. i seen on one of the site they r going to be a family matter reouin and he was not going to be on it it will not be the same without him .
Posted by carolyn evans  in  louisiana  on  Sun Jun 18, 2006  at  11:05 PM
Is Jaleel White really gay? There are so many rumors out there i dont no wat 2 believe. this gay stuff is kinda believable because its always the childhood stars to grow to be crazy. Todd Bridges, Gary Colmen, The Jacksons, home alone kid, etc.
Posted by yo mama  in  detroit michigan  on  Mon Jun 19, 2006  at  03:47 PM
this info about his death had me in total shock, but itz a relief to kno it isnt true!!
Posted by phyzy  on  Mon Jun 19, 2006  at  10:26 PM
I just hear the Rumor this past Sunday.(I guess I'm late huh?) At first I was deeply disturbed as well as shocked to hear that Jaleel waould do such a thing! It kept weighing on my mind and I finally thought to myself, " You know that this information sounds "suspect"". It just didn'yt sit well with me that a young talented Black man would do such a thing. I say "Shame On you!!" to whomever started this horrible rumor on Jaleel. I think that sometimes when the media can't find anything wrong with a person after showbiz, they will makwe up rumors to destroy their "good reputation". Contrary to most belirf, their are some good souls left in this world. Jaleel is not the "average throw away my life because I can't get a gig" type of guy. He has been very sucessful since Family Matters. I say to you Jaleel, Keep Pressing Towards the Mark of the High Calling. Shake the haters off and keep doing you!! God Bless!!!
Posted by Michele  in  Florida  on  Tue Jun 20, 2006  at  12:35 AM
What a mean rumor. I heard it, but decided to see for myself. I am glad that I researched it first before believing my sources.
Posted by Nicole  in  Maryland  on  Tue Jun 20, 2006  at  01:37 PM
That is so wonderful i love him.
Posted by Rajanae  in  Maryland  on  Tue Jun 20, 2006  at  02:06 PM
This is the first time I read the rumor today 6/20/06. I was taken aback for a moment and then I thought about it and realized that if it were true that the major stations would have picked it up. I even looked on BlackAmericaWeb. You know white people loved you the most. I'm happy to know that it isn't true and that you are alive and well. God Bless.

Cammie
Posted by Cammie  in  Queens New York  on  Tue Jun 20, 2006  at  07:51 PM
I am so glad to hear that you are not dead. I almost had a heartattack when I heard this. Even though I am only 16 years old I am very much so in love with you, I have seen you on tv every since I was 5, I watch you show Family Matters, everyday on ABC Family, and your guest apperancec on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. i know people tell you this all the time but, I thought that the name of Family Matters was The Steve Urkel Show. I just resently foud out the name. But I hope you are alright and Love you. Bye.
Posted by Arielle Webb  in  Alabama  on  Wed Jun 21, 2006  at  05:26 PM
i strongly feel that this whole thing was wrong to begin with. ever since i could remember i stayed watching him get the ladies crazy on all the shows he would appear on. i heard he was dead, and it made me think twice about life. now to hear that it was what they call a HOAX, is good to know thjat there are still people out the that still need the Lord. no one and i mean no one should use another person to try to make something or someone mean more in any way. but i beleive that what goes around comes around and who ever did this to try to seek what ever fame they wanted, there gonna get alot more than what they bargained for.
Posted by Duval's Puerto Rican Papi  in  Duval  on  Wed Jun 21, 2006  at  05:35 PM
I know that you cannot believe everything you hear or read, and is one of the major reasons why I do not watch a lot of television. However, I do trust in the Lord, and when I actually heard my pastor, who is has starred in movies with Tyler Perry and in the movie "The Gospel
Posted by Deena  in  Some Where In The US of A  on  Thu Jun 22, 2006  at  10:47 AM
Im glad that shit aint true cause Jaleel White is sexy as hell
Posted by Salina  in  Queens New York  on  Thu Jun 22, 2006  at  11:37 AM
I am so glad this isn't true. I was crushed when my friend read me the "report." I love you so much and I am glad you are alive and well!!
Posted by S. Denise Johnson  in  South Carolina  on  Thu Jun 22, 2006  at  03:37 PM
i think this person who spread this rumor is obsessed
with/at this actor jaleel white killed HIMSELF.
because jaleel would not say a phrase from his
steve urkel character "did i do that" if jaleel
killed himself.
Posted by chantel  on  Thu Jun 22, 2006  at  06:25 PM
grin I'm a fan too..and I'm glad it's not true..My mom told me..and my heart started to race like you were a relative of mine...My mom is not a person that watches comedy however she will watch anything that has to do with Jaleel White. Stay strong and don't leave us to soon.
Posted by Sherri McIntosh  in  Maywood, IL  on  Thu Jun 22, 2006  at  11:33 PM
I just glad it was a hoax because suicide is only a long term solution to a short problem.
Keep the faith and always leave them laughing.
Posted by Stonehenge  in  Warren, PA  on  Fri Jun 23, 2006  at  02:08 PM
I heard this rumor the other day at work, so I had to do a search to see if it was true. Thank goodness it's not!
Posted by Shannon  in  Kernersville, NC  on  Sat Jun 24, 2006  at  07:17 AM
tongue rolleye MAN THIS IS SOME BULLSHIT... ITS GREEN HOW PEOPLE CAN JUST SPREAD RUMORS LIKE THIS... I'M REALLY SPEECHLESS ABOUT THE WHOLE SITUATION. I'M JUST GLAD THOSE WRE ONLY RUMORS AND THAT EVERYONE IS DOING OK...... grin
Posted by Jha 'Jha J33zy  in  DUVALJ(jacksonville)  on  Sat Jun 24, 2006  at  04:41 PM
I blame GW Bush for spreading False news...
Posted by John  in  Orlando  on  Sun Jun 25, 2006  at  09:54 AM
I praise God that Mr. White is not dead. That literally hurt me to my heart when I read that. It is my hope that society will get a grip and stop playing when it comes to peoples lives-Yes even celebrities.
Posted by Toni Bennett  on  Tue Jun 27, 2006  at  10:16 AM
When I heard that Jaleel White was dead, I was shocked. And the note he left was also creepy.I'm just glad it's not true. smile
Posted by Dj  on  Tue Jun 27, 2006  at  01:42 PM
U shouldn't play like that b/c I honestly though he was dead for real, we (my aunt & I) was jus talkin about him while watchimg Family Matters. DEATH is nothing 2 play with.
Posted by Keondra' Lankford  on  Tue Jun 27, 2006  at  01:46 PM
omg!!! im so glad dat you aint dead!!! i cried when i found out. the stupid person who said dat he was dead must have been trippin. but i am so happy dat you aint dead!!! even though im only 14 ive been a fan of yours since i was 4 and family matters iz my favorite show. i luv you jaleel!!!
Posted by taylor  in  ft. campbel, kentucky  on  Tue Jun 27, 2006  at  10:40 PM
I knew it wasn't true!
Tell the truth Jaleel, you made an ex mad:-)
Get a life whoever you are~
Posted by Megan  in  Carson, Ca  on  Wed Jun 28, 2006  at  03:40 PM
this a rumor i hope let me know me and my family are huge fans of you when do you think you will be in Boston or around this east coast again i have a 80 year old grandma who adores you please lets me know
Posted by aaron  in  boston mass  on  Wed Jun 28, 2006  at  10:01 PM
im glad you are well people need not spread rumor when they are not true may god keep blessing you. you share the same birthday as my daughter which is a blessing .
Posted by katherine kelly  in  monroe, louisiana  on  Thu Jun 29, 2006  at  12:58 AM
Why did I just hear about this over tha weekend!! Hahahahaha. Glad ur alright tho!!!!
Posted by Miranda  in  Orangevale, CA  on  Thu Jun 29, 2006  at  07:10 PM
hey, it was on my google home, as a quote of text for "gullible info"
i guess i was gullible, but i was really concerned. i don't think they should post things like that, and i'm sorry that rumor is still very much circulating!
Posted by sandra  on  Fri Jun 30, 2006  at  04:26 AM
I REALLY DIDN'T BELEIVE THOSE LIES BECAUSE I WOULD HATE 2 C ANOTHER FINE BROTHER GO 2 WASTE LIKE THAT.I WAS SURE THAT U HAD BETTER SENSE THAN THAT.
Posted by KENDRA SMITH  in  MONTGOMERY,ALABAMA  on  Fri Jun 30, 2006  at  12:41 PM
you are the hottest thing that ever lived, and that's all i have to say about you, jaleel
Posted by tiana glasscoe  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  10:10 AM
I am so glad that the rumor was false. I actually held my breathe because I didnt want to believe it. I am so glad I went to the web site.
Michele
Posted by Mikki628  in  NJ  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  06:13 PM
Comments: Page 4 of 8 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›