Jaleel White Commits Suicide
Status: Hoax
The latest false celebrity death rumor going around concerns Jaleel White (best known for playing Urkel on Family Matters). Supposedly he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head. This rumor is old. It was first posted on my site over half a year ago (in the comments to my post titled 'Is this Jaleel White?'). It's no truer now than it was then. I have no idea why it's begun circulating again, but here are the main highlights from the hoax AP report:
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Jaleel White, who played 'nerdy' neighbor Steve Urkel on "Family Matters" found dead Monday. He was 29 years old.
White was pronounced dead on arrival after admission to an LA hospital early Monday morning. The death is being investigated as a suicide.
Born Jaleel Ahmad White, he began his career at the age of three acting in television commercials, before landing guest spots on shows such as "The Jeffersons" and "Mr. Belvedere." It was in 1989 that White landed the role that would make him famous, playing wacky neighbor 'Steve Urkel' on the ABC program "Family Matters."
Following the cancellation of "Family Matters" in 1997, friends claim White became obsessed with the character, and grew despondent, despite further successes as star and producer of the UPN sitcom "Grownups", and as a writer for NBA.com
Neighbor and friend, Bradley Spencer alerted police after hearing what he described as "a loud bang" coming from White's Los Angeles apartment.
Authorities state that upon entering the home they discovered a young African-American male with an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Also found was a note, which read simply "Did I do that?", a popular catchphrase from the show.
Like I said, this was all posted on my site over half a year ago. Which means that when people did a Google search for info about Jaleel White committing suicide, my site was one of the first they found. Because of this, my page about Jaleel White started to receive huge amounts of traffic. So much traffic that it was not only slowing the entire site down, but was also slowing other sites that were located on the same server at my web host. Nevin, the technical guy at my web host, has been exchanging emails with me about it all day. What we've done to try to ease the strain on the server is to automatically route people visiting the comments for that old Jaleel White thread to my page about false celebrity death rumors (which is a static page and therefore uses less of the cpu).
Categories: CelebritiesDeath
Posted by The Curator on Mon Jun 05, 2006
I just want to say that i am glad that it was just a bad rumor.Jaleel take care of yourself and don't let these foolish things get to you.I grew up watching you on family matters. I also watched you on all grown up.Keep doing what you do and i will support you in whatever it is that you do.Know that you have fans that love you from way back me included.
Posted by michellejones  on  Tue Jun 13, 2006  at  04:04 AM
When I first heard of this I said to the person that told me "Are you sure that you have your facts straight?" Moments later I called my sister "Jane". I asked her. She said Connie give me a moment and I will find out the facts! She called me back and told me that it was in fact a fraud. He was very much alive. To who ever started this sad story may God have mercy on your soul and your family. That had to be hard on anyone in his family to hear that someone could tarnish him like that. On the better note maybe that have producer(d) looking at him star in one of the most famous movies in the world. Thank you for that.
Posted by Connie1  in  Troy, OH  on  Tue Jun 13, 2006  at  11:38 AM
I am relieved to know the truth - Jaleel White is my man...
Posted by Keisha Delancy  in  Orlando, FL  on  Tue Jun 13, 2006  at  04:57 PM
I mean the 1st thing I want 2 do iz Thank God that its not true, The 2nd thing I want 2 say iz y would a person do something like that?
n To him of all people. A persons like iz not 2 be played with. The crazy part iz Iam 15 n I got more since then have these people out here
Posted by Samara  in  Baltimore Maryland  on  Tue Jun 13, 2006  at  08:53 PM
O my word. I thought he was dead and I didn't know what to do. I don't know him personally but i grew up watching him on t.v. and had me a little crush on some Steve. I kind of panicked and had to do a search for him, thank God it's not true. I wish you a very long and happy life to come. Some people are just mean man, i can't believe people are ignorant enough to do stupid things like that. Much Love Jaleel
Posted by anesha  in  California  on  Wed Jun 14, 2006  at  02:19 AM
question
Rumour still goin' strong, did a search to be sure. Happy u're not 'six feet under'
Posted by Liza  in  Trinidad, West Indies  on  Wed Jun 14, 2006  at  03:01 PM
grin
I am so happy to hear that this was a hoak. Jaleel if you read these messages, please know that people out here love you. I grew up watching Family Matters and I was so sad to think this might have been real. It's sad to think about someone being sad enough to take their own life. Hope all is well and please keep acting.
Posted by Heidi  in  Fredericksburg, VA  on  Wed Jun 14, 2006  at  03:28 PM
I knew the rumor awas just that so lets make these ney saters a lyer by pulic appearance somewhere anywhere
Posted by A.Judge  on  Wed Jun 14, 2006  at  03:32 PM
Really glad to hear that it's not true. I didn't think someone as intelligent and with such a bright future would go out like that. confused
Posted by Dannette  in  Tampa, FL  on  Wed Jun 14, 2006  at  04:07 PM
I am so glad that he is alive. I have had the biggest crush on Jaleel White. As Urkel, he was beautiful, I was totally into him. He just gave a name and face to the underdog.
Jaleel, God bless you in all of your future endeavors.
Posted by Brandy Allen  in  Riverside, California  on  Wed Jun 14, 2006  at  05:08 PM
Glad it aint so pimpin i loved your show a a child and i felt sad then haerd about the note wich gave hope. i knew you would not go out like that. stay up chief!
Posted by Will G  in  chcago il  on  Wed Jun 14, 2006  at  05:33 PM
I just want to say to Steve - thank God!

My twelve year old son, Brock, and I were told this horrible rumor last night. I'm 53 years old and watch you as Urkle and Stefan many many times - unfortunately, our family has suffered the loss of loved ones through the tragedy of suicide - it's nothing to hoax about or joke about - I'm just very relieved and glad to hear that you are well - we really would love to see you either on tv or in movies - preferably "family friendly" - please, anyone reading this - know there's ALWAYS something better - things WILL get better - Read the Psalms - kdy
Posted by Karen D Young  in  Tennessee  on  Wed Jun 14, 2006  at  10:02 PM
That wasn't a funny joke at all!
Posted by Casandra  in  U.S.A  on  Thu Jun 15, 2006  at  01:15 AM
Jaleel you are the coolest. You are probably the funniest actor I've ever seen. Thank god you aren't dead.
Posted by Chase  in  South Dakota  on  Thu Jun 15, 2006  at  01:17 AM
I am so glad that info was not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! words cant really explain how i felt when i heard that horrible rumor......NE way keeping doing you jaleel! peace my brother
Posted by tee tee  in  atl  on  Thu Jun 15, 2006  at  03:34 AM
Thank you for clearing up that issue. It would have been a shame for it to be true.
Posted by LUIS MCDONALD  in  BROOKLYN NY  on  Thu Jun 15, 2006  at  03:10 PM
Thanks for clearing up such an ugly rumor.
Posted by Luis McDonald  in  Brooklyn NY  on  Thu Jun 15, 2006  at  03:12 PM
I didn't hear the original rumor, but I am still disturbed that someone will blatantly defame and speak murder in someone's life. But dependence on god and His graciousness will help one to overcome all of the obstacles in these perilous times. Just stay stong Jaleel and continue to be the talented,creative, intelligent, industrious person you are and have been.
Posted by Roosevelt Acoff  in  Birmingham,Alabama  on  Thu Jun 15, 2006  at  05:10 PM
to the person who spread that very bad,nasty,god awful rumor need a very,very,very,very serious help,and VERY QUICKLY.
Posted by chantel  on  Thu Jun 15, 2006  at  11:09 PM
06-16-06
very glad to hear this is only a hoax....Makes by vacation to Seattle next week much better.
Admired by Bronel
Posted by Bronel P. Hebert  in  New Ibeira, Louisiana  on  Fri Jun 16, 2006  at  11:59 AM
People do not have nothing else to do but to make up nasty lies. Please get a job.
Posted by april  in  dallas tx  on  Fri Jun 16, 2006  at  12:07 PM
My first time hearing this was yesterday 6/15/06. When my mom asked me about it. Like i told her i don't that it is true. So i went on line to see what was going on. Happy to hear that it is not true.
Posted by Tammy Davis  in  LaMarque,Texas  on  Fri Jun 16, 2006  at  12:22 PM
I am very happy to hear Mr. Jaleel White didn't take his own life. From the look of him, he's to strong minded and educated to do something so stupid like that anyway. Brother man you keep on living and continue to stay as fine as you are. Remember who ever started this rumor about you a year ago need to know that God is watching over you and he is not ready to take you away from this earth until your mission is done on earth. Focus on your future.
For the one who spread the rumor, "STOP DRINKING HATERADE".
Posted by Mimi  in  Miami FL,  on  Fri Jun 16, 2006  at  04:22 PM
Some people are really dumb. You shouldn't believe something unless it came off the news. Besides, things like this are sent almost all the time. Rumors that people are dead but eventually you find out that most of them aren't true. I hate it when people talk trash about someone they don't even know. I for one am glad it's not true also, I think he's a good person and actor. Funny to.
Posted by Willena Crawford  in  oceanside, california  on  Fri Jun 16, 2006  at  04:36 PM
Well as you all have learned, each person plays a part in each other lives weather it's a TV show actor, or your beloved grandmother. We all touch each other
Posted by Chocolate  in  California  on  Fri Jun 16, 2006  at  05:09 PM
When my sister called me friday 16, 2006 and told me the news i told my husband we both said it could not be true, for 1 reason they whould have had it all over the news and an the news paper. But i'm glad he's alive and doing well with his self.

P.S. Mr. white if i were not married i would come find you and have you to myself.

We love you and keep
strong.
Posted by neffratia harvey  in  brooklyn, New York  on  Sat Jun 17, 2006  at  07:45 AM
Jaleel was and remains the man. Death hoaxes are not funny, end of story. I am glad that this is just a rumor. I do feel sorry for him tho having to live with the Urkel stigma. One quick question, what else has mr. White done, has he been in any movies or shows since Urkel. Just Curious.
Posted by Zachary  in  Orlando  on  Sat Jun 17, 2006  at  03:01 PM
"Wow," is all I can say. We as a society can be fascinated with some some of the most twisted things---playing a hoax like this about anyone is unreal and for the person who started it----get a life!
Posted by T Breland  in  Columbia, South Carolina  on  Sat Jun 17, 2006  at  11:41 PM
It's good that Jaleel is well, but that goes to show or hear rather you can't always believe what you hear or read. Always get that facts!! Oh and by the way if your read Mr. White it would be great to see you in a sitcom or movie all grown-up!!!!!
Posted by Tyquanta  in  edwards, ca  on  Sun Jun 18, 2006  at  01:24 AM
Jaleel - when I heard the rumor I hoped that it was not true. For a few moments I was saddened by it and got on the internet to see if this was another celebrity death hoax and thankfully it was but it is not a funny matter. The problem is that sick people romanticize death at everyones expense. Yes, we should pray for the silly person who started it and everyone that perpetuated the hoax as well as Jaleel & his family.

Keep your head up Jaleel, we are proud of your success!
Posted by D'lisa  in  Chicago  on  Sun Jun 18, 2006  at  06:34 AM
Comments: Page 3 of 8 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.