The Stone-Age Tasaday Hoax, 1971
Tube of liquor hidden in prohibition-era boot, 1920s
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
Jaleel White Commits Suicide
Status: Hoax
The latest false celebrity death rumor going around concerns Jaleel White (best known for playing Urkel on Family Matters). Supposedly he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head. This rumor is old. It was first posted on my site over half a year ago (in the comments to my post titled 'Is this Jaleel White?'). It's no truer now than it was then. I have no idea why it's begun circulating again, but here are the main highlights from the hoax AP report:
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Jaleel White, who played 'nerdy' neighbor Steve Urkel on "Family Matters" found dead Monday. He was 29 years old.
White was pronounced dead on arrival after admission to an LA hospital early Monday morning. The death is being investigated as a suicide.
Born Jaleel Ahmad White, he began his career at the age of three acting in television commercials, before landing guest spots on shows such as "The Jeffersons" and "Mr. Belvedere." It was in 1989 that White landed the role that would make him famous, playing wacky neighbor 'Steve Urkel' on the ABC program "Family Matters."
Following the cancellation of "Family Matters" in 1997, friends claim White became obsessed with the character, and grew despondent, despite further successes as star and producer of the UPN sitcom "Grownups", and as a writer for NBA.com
Neighbor and friend, Bradley Spencer alerted police after hearing what he described as "a loud bang" coming from White's Los Angeles apartment.
Authorities state that upon entering the home they discovered a young African-American male with an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Also found was a note, which read simply "Did I do that?", a popular catchphrase from the show.
Like I said, this was all posted on my site over half a year ago. Which means that when people did a Google search for info about Jaleel White committing suicide, my site was one of the first they found. Because of this, my page about Jaleel White started to receive huge amounts of traffic. So much traffic that it was not only slowing the entire site down, but was also slowing other sites that were located on the same server at my web host. Nevin, the technical guy at my web host, has been exchanging emails with me about it all day. What we've done to try to ease the strain on the server is to automatically route people visiting the comments for that old Jaleel White thread to my page about false celebrity death rumors (which is a static page and therefore uses less of the cpu).
Categories: Celebrities, Death
Posted by The Curator on Mon Jun 05, 2006
Wow this is so funny, my mother asked me about this rumor today and I told her that I had not heard about it, well I see there is a whole dialog about this! Anyway, I will be more than happy to tell my mother that this is not true. Some folks are talking s-t but we all know we loved some TGIF smile; at least I did. I just feel so sorry for the LOSER who started this rumor, it's crazy that this man can't just live his life without speculation and ridicule, what a sad world we live in:(
Posted by Dee  in  Maryland  on  Mon Jul 03, 2006  at  01:02 PM
jaleel white I love u and I hope that u never ever ever do something crazy like that!!!! Or I will bring u back from the dead and kill u myself!!!! j/k but really u have to much goin for u and so many fans that still love and appreciate u dearly!!!
Posted by tae  in  az  on  Wed Jul 05, 2006  at  01:50 AM
i heard about this event from my mom, who received this message from a church friend,2 weeks ago, just now she mention it again, she just did not want to believe it so i decided to reach out to the internet and it was a pleasure to see your sexy face stating that your very much alive, i went and told my mom and her response was "keep living". just for you to know and any one who reads this no matter what your going through taking your life is not the answer always put your life in the man that stills the water, his name is JESUS.
Posted by millicent latty  in  yonkers,new york  on  Fri Jul 07, 2006  at  05:11 PM
...put your life in the man that stills the water...

Jesus...

The Water Whisperer.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Fri Jul 07, 2006  at  05:19 PM
I was believing it until it said Did I do that
Posted by sasasasasa  in  arlington,TX  on  Wed Jul 12, 2006  at  01:43 PM
My kid just heard about this (today) and was very shaken up. How can ppl be so irresponsible as to spread such a horrible rumor about someone having killed himself? It's not funny...It's sick!
Posted by MsP  in  Detroit  on  Wed Jul 12, 2006  at  02:10 PM
I am really surprised to hear this was a rumor because I heard it from two different people today!! One person said they even heard it on the radio!! My boss called his wife and told her so it is definately traveling strong. crazy!
Posted by Docta  in  Orlando, FL  on  Thu Jul 13, 2006  at  02:03 AM
i think too many people have no life when make stories just to get noticed.
Posted by milleria  in  texas  on  Sat Jul 15, 2006  at  11:53 PM
I'm so glad he is alive. That's my future husband right there. He don't know it yet but I'ma marry that man. And the wedding night wouldnt have been as fun if he was dead...wink
Posted by Tamara  in  washington DC  on  Mon Jul 17, 2006  at  03:10 PM
hi,jaleel cool smile
Posted by c.s.  on  Mon Jul 17, 2006  at  08:23 PM
good
Posted by Kiara  on  Tue Jul 18, 2006  at  05:41 PM
I think that it is so ridiculous that someone would make up such a hidious rumor. I'm glad that you are alive and well. Since I'm here I want to know will we be seeing you on the tele again anytime soon?
Posted by Marissa Faucet  in  Hyattsville, MD  on  Wed Jul 19, 2006  at  11:48 AM
I'm heartened to hear that so many people still love me all these years after Family Matters aired. I'm encourage by your love and support, but sadly I have retired from acting and just want to live a quiet life with my wife and daughter now. But who knows, maybe someday when my daughter is grown and I'm looking for something to replace my full-time parenthood I'll try my hand at acting once again. Look for Urkel: The Next Generation in about 15 years!

Posted by Jaleel White  in  Sacramento  on  Wed Jul 19, 2006  at  12:42 PM
Hey- If I can get video proof that Jaleel is still alive, I can win $1000 from a college website. I anyone can help me, please let me know.
My Aol Instant Messenger name is red1984.
Posted by Joe  in  Traverse City, MI  on  Wed Jul 19, 2006  at  06:59 PM
i am deeply sorry to what had happen .I just heard this and i was very sad .When i read the info i see that was not true so i dan't know what to believe. i just have to say to his parents accept my symputhy hope u be good in heaven
Posted by keth thompson  in  St.Lucia  on  Wed Jul 19, 2006  at  11:30 PM
Hi jaleel this is your cousin malik and how are we by my grand ma friersen youll wher cousions and long time long see and I just to say hi.
Posted by malik  in  mihigan  on  Thu Jul 20, 2006  at  09:50 AM
Sorry Malik, all the real members of my family can spell and use proper grammar.

Love you all,

Jaleel
Posted by Jaleel White  in  Sacramento  on  Thu Jul 20, 2006  at  11:22 AM
WIFE AND KIDS???!!! NNooooo!!! Somebody stole my man!!!! She bedda not slip up. I'ma be at your door with a roast and potatoes. This is Wifey material right hur!!
Posted by Tamara  in  DC  on  Thu Jul 20, 2006  at  02:23 PM
Jaleel, I am a little late in getting the rumor straight. I could not bear the "fact" that you were dead. I am so very happy to "know" that you are alive and well. My prayers are with you and your family for your continued success.
Posted by HJP  in  Miami, FL  on  Thu Jul 20, 2006  at  10:24 PM
I am so way out of it, I never even heard the rumour until today when I was watching Vh1's 100 best child stars and you were on and my uncle said, "you know he killed himself". I looked it up straight away, nice to know your alive. I told him it couldn't be true, it would have been all over the tv stations. Jaleel I love that you post on your own blog it adds such a personal touch, a lot of people don't make the time.
Posted by Desi  in  New York  on  Sat Jul 22, 2006  at  10:52 PM
Its funny because this is the first time I heard this. I was actually told by an employee at my job and she said her 15 yr. old son told her it was all over the internet. She also told me she saw it on the news. Lol. Thats funny. I can understand the internet but the news on tv. When I saw this site and read on Im happy to hear the truth.
Posted by amanda  in  detroit, Michigan  on  Mon Jul 24, 2006  at  12:00 AM
I can understand the internet but the news on tv.

Where do you think the television news gets half of it's stories? It's far too easy to copy something off the net then to do your own research, and television news researchers are just as lazy as everyone else.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Jul 24, 2006  at  11:22 AM
Wow... it is good to know that it is all a lie. Whoever started this rumour doesn't have anything better to do. I believe that Jaleel has great talents and a lot of potentials, and I hope he doensn't allow this to get to him. There will always be someone out there that will like to see you fall flat on your face; but all you got to do is live your life for you. As long as you are smiling/ laughing, someone is going to be steaming up hate and jealousy. I hope that he is not dead and very much alive. He is a handsome youngman and I believe he has so much to live for. I wish him the best and my prayers go out to him and his family.
Posted by Shannon  in  Houston TX  on  Mon Jul 24, 2006  at  10:53 PM
that was just horrible i cant even say much thats death thats someone life thats not something to play with
Posted by icantbelieveit  on  Tue Jul 25, 2006  at  09:34 PM
I think its sick that a person(s) would start a rumour of this magnitude. Its very distasteful and shows that they are people in this world that have absolutely nothing to do during the day. To those people who initiated this....GET A JOB AND BUY A LIFE!
Glad to hear that all is well with Mr. White and may his career always blossom!

Regards,
Damon
Posted by Damon Wilson  in  Barbados  on  Wed Jul 26, 2006  at  10:56 AM
Ahhh...the joys of being a celeb! I guess the "evening news" isn't so newsly anymore- now they have to create death stories.

Heather
Posted by Heather  in  Ohio  on  Thu Jul 27, 2006  at  01:23 PM
Yayy I'm so happy to hear that Jaleel is doing well. It would def. 'suck' to be those individuals who make up these terrible lies, shows they don't have a life of their own..also I just also found out you are a writer, what books do you suggest?? thnx!xoxo
Posted by Ive Taveras  in  NYC  on  Fri Jul 28, 2006  at  02:16 PM
Well...
I am here to see if this is really true because... it was brought up in church service today (Sunday 30 July 2006). The sermon was about weathering storms... and how suicide is not weathering the storm and Jaleel's name popped up. Since I have never heard of this "RUMOR" before, I needed to investigate.. therefore, when I go to church again, I WILL SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT... because I AM: "Mz. Music Girl!" So... hearing that this is FALSE made me feel a whole lot better. Mr. Jaleel White... you take care of yourself, and may God Bless You!
Posted by mz_music_girl  in  Seattle, WA.  on  Mon Jul 31, 2006  at  12:21 AM
guys stop spreading rumours i am serial
Posted by Al gore  in  boston  on  Mon Jul 31, 2006  at  05:19 PM
i heard today that he had commited suicide..i was not sure it was true. and i thought too bad!!i loved Urcle! but now iknow its not true. i had to search it, so i guess i didnt belive it in the first place
Posted by rand  on  Tue Aug 01, 2006  at  09:04 PM
Comments: Page 5 of 8 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›