The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
Life discovered on the moon, 1835
The Sandpaper Test, 1960
Female thieves hide money in their bras, 1950
Is John Edward a fake?
image It seems like whenever I turn on the SciFi channel, there's John Edward talking to the dead. I don't really care if he actually can talk to the dead or not (I assume he can't). I'm more concerned by the fact that his show is boring. But on the start of his Australian tour, a man has sued him, claiming that Edward's show violates the Trade Practices Act which stipulates that suppliers of goods can't make claims that they can't substantiate. In this case, Edward claims he can talk to the dead, but the guy suing him is pretty sure he can't. It'll be interesting to see how the case is resolved.
Categories: Con Artists, Paranormal
Posted by The Curator on Sat Feb 21, 2004
Any intelligent person would have to agree with Mathew's post,it's cold reading and nothing more. I believe if it were possible to communicate with the dead then that would mean the "dead" were stuck in limbo. If they weren't stuck in limbo they would be able to tell us things beyond our wildest imaginations, not just cryptic facts about our their loved ones.

Bluedog
Posted by Bluedog  on  Wed Nov 21, 2007  at  02:22 PM
I don't understand you people most of these people know how to read facial expressions and the name thing is just to easy so they are all full of it. You guys are nothing but a bunch of suckers and don't know how to spell very well if you are going to write comments learn to use spell check. If you want to watch him go right ahead but did you ever wonder why he wasn't on television for a while because he is a fake.
Posted by Jennifer M Szabo  in  palm bay fl  on  Wed Nov 21, 2007  at  08:16 PM
Boy that was a real intelligent response I can tell that you have a really high IQ If you have nothing else to say then say nothing opinions are like ***holes every one has one and they all stink and I can smell you from here. People that live in glass houses should not throw stones
Posted by jen  on  Fri Nov 30, 2007  at  02:46 PM
I just watched John Edward on TV and he was pretty impressive. I appreciate the people who told their of their positive experiences but wonder how they got to this site? I typed in "is John Edward hoax." Earlier today I viewed a U-Tube video on another psychic and it was extemely obvious he was fishing--I can't remember the guy's name but he wrote a best selling book. I agree it is possible to cross over, but am not sure if John Edward can or if he is just like an expert poker player reading the audience.
Posted by ella  on  Mon Dec 03, 2007  at  07:42 PM
Here is the test. If he can communicate with a murder victim and reveal the name of the killer then I will believe.
Posted by Dan  in  Wisconsin  on  Sat Jan 05, 2008  at  11:13 PM
Spirituality is a matter of faith.
Millions of people go to church every
Sunday. What's the difference. It's
a belief in an unseen world. However,
we aware that the Government NSA, CIA
ect all EMPLOY Psychics and pay them
with your tax dollars. They are used
for remote viewing and other paranormal
security programs. Do you think the
government has investigated the validity
of psychic ability. Obviously.
We are naturally sceptical but there is
much in the realm of the unknown that
science has yet to explain but is real.
Posted by Dennis Hammond  in  Lakewood,Co  on  Tue Jan 29, 2008  at  11:21 PM
this guy is probly a fake
but i think people who do this are really cool
i'm trying to learn how to do it myself
Posted by adam  in  markham.ON  on  Mon Feb 25, 2008  at  04:18 PM
Traditionally,
there has always been some people who claimed a link with the dead. Wherever you go you will find them.From the ancient oracles in antiquity passing to witches in europe, shamans in africa and wiseman for aborigens and islanders, there was ALWAYS somebody who claimed being linked in some way with the dead. But NEVER, EVER was such a disgrace as john edwards.Who claims, if you please, to be able to specifically pinpoint the dead by name, and hold conversation. My question is for the Americans: ARE YOU SO FUCKING STUPID THAN YOU CANT EVEN TELL WHEN SOMEONE IS A CHEAT???? seriously, I am appalled by the sheer stupidity of you people.on one hand you guys are religious fanatics that makes the worst of the muslims look like saints, and on the other hand you are accepting without qualms someone who is flirting with paganism , passing by animism. Because what he is doing is NOT christian.This man is preying on the weak, taking advantages of them and FUCKING MAKING MONEY ON FOOLS THAT FUCKING BELIEVE HIM.So that is the country that is leading us, full of people that possess parochialism that will shame medieval peasants, religioyus zealots that makes torquemada look like a tyro, and who preaches about democracy when their own president got his office by cheating in Florida. fellows who are NOT americans, i am telling you this we are fucked.
Posted by Eddy  on  Mon Jun 09, 2008  at  07:38 AM
I look at it as entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted by Celebrity Blog Guy  in  usa  on  Tue Jul 15, 2008  at  11:33 AM
People sell things they can't substantiate all the time.

People who Sell Coins, ART, Stock are all Opinions and even worse Bennie babies. Can you Substantiate a stuffed doll being worth $300.00 no...

Also people sell Advice as Money Advisors and Psychiatrists. It's all words and if people can't pay for words even if true or false. Then Politicians should be in jail.
Posted by Russ  on  Thu Jul 24, 2008  at  12:49 AM
I would stop worrying about psychics and focus on grammar and your foul mouth
Posted by sinetta  in  usa  on  Sat Aug 09, 2008  at  05:13 AM
Cold reading, badly applied, edited to make it look good on TV. The guy is a complete fake, simple as.
Posted by billy123  on  Sat Aug 09, 2008  at  10:05 AM
7Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

8And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee.

9And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die?

10And Saul sware to her by the LORD, saying, As the LORD liveth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing.

11Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel.

12And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul.

13And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.

14And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself.

15And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.
Posted by sha  on  Fri Aug 29, 2008  at  02:28 AM
SHA, please keep your religious dogma in church.

-John Edward is a total fake, and I agree with Southpark's version that voted him as a douche.
(I'd go one further and call him "Dubya's enema")

-Friggin' asshole, better stay down South where they still believe in fairytales.
Posted by WTF?  on  Wed Oct 22, 2008  at  02:27 AM
Fuck you WTF! Come to the South and talk shit i bet you wont leave here without a foot up your ass! I hate John Edward i think South Park hit it right on the money when they said he slowin down the process of man kind. Their's no need to be a fag and go start talkin shit about southerners just becuz SHA thinks for some reason that john isnt a douche
Posted by Lil Zink  in  Florida  on  Thu Oct 23, 2008  at  12:04 AM
jamie...lol..."comunacake"....youre just as dumb as john edwards. sorry, this comment is random. i'm stoned and had a great breakfast. i am watching lisa willaims, and i got to john edwards by googling shit.

bye everyone. love yourselves everyday.
Posted by britney spears  on  Sun Nov 02, 2008  at  04:11 PM

hahahahahha

So all you morons that still believe he's real...think again. The ignorance of Americans baffles me, and I am one. Like a few people said on here. Shamans and people of the like have been around for 1,000s of years. So for you to believe this moron is a the real thing, should probably be committed. Like a few others stated, if he was the real thing, do you really think he'd deal with trivial things like your dog Fido humping grandpa's leg on Halloween? Not what the afterlife is like and why do we die? Other questions that humans everywhere have been stumped with since the beginning of time?
Posted by Zaljereck  on  Thu Nov 13, 2008  at  12:44 PM
Oh and sha...how can you believe in any book that beginnings every sentence with a preposition?
Posted by Zaljereck  on  Thu Nov 13, 2008  at  12:48 PM
HE IS THE BIGGEST DOUCHE! I hate fakes that make money off of other people's misfortune. I want to throw an egg at him.
Posted by John  on  Fri Dec 05, 2008  at  09:10 PM
OK, so the guy is a fake. But he's got a real good act. I saw him in person because I found his specifics on the TV show to be intriguing. I have to admit that seeing his 'act' in person is impressive - he does seem to come across as knowing very personal and specific facts. What does not make sense is how this guy is supposedly walking around with answers to life's eternal questions and he ends up with a syndicated TV show, played on local stations and reaping millions from live shows. Why isn't there some great public clamor for legitimate testing to discern his 'true gift'? I can't understand why the government wouldn't 'kidnap' him to get information. The one positive is that he does his 'readings' so as to leave the mark feeling better. Yes he's fooling people and not admitting to it - which is disgraceful, but the flip side is that many people have felt better after one of his readings. So look at it like paying for a emotional massage. Most people 'read' report feeling better or some sort of closure, isn't that worth something?
Posted by eric  on  Tue Dec 09, 2008  at  12:00 AM
John Edwards THE REAL DEAL OR NOT? I HAVE WATCHED HIM ON TV MANY TIMES AND I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY SOME PEOPLE COULD BELIEVE HE IS NOTHING MORE THAN A CON ARTIST THE WAY HE GETS INFORMATION FROM PEOPLE THROUGH COLD READINGS. HOWEVER WHAT I DONT
UNDERSTAND ON HOW HE DOES GET VERY PERSONAL INFO PERTAINING TO EVENTS/PET NAMES/JOKES/DATES ETC. THAT ARE VERY MEANINGFUL TO INDIVIUAL PEOPLE. THINGS THAT HE COULD NEVER HAVE KNOWN BUT COMES RIGHT OUT AND SAYS IT. ALSO ON THE FLIP COIN OF THIS IF HE HAD THE REAL POWER TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE DEAD HE COULD FIND OUT SO MUCH AND ANSWER SO MANY QUESTIONS THAT MANKIND HAS BEEN ASKING FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. WHAT HAPPENS AFTER DEATH? WHERE DO YOU GO? DID YOU ENCOUNTER GOD? IS THERE
A HEAVEN AND HELL? HOW IS IT LIKE ON THE OTHER SIDE? BUT AS FAR AS I KNOW NOTHING IS SAID ABOUT THIS. ONE LAST THING I WANT TO SAY ABOUT JOHN EDWARDS AND I KNOW SOME PEOPLE WILL DISAGREE WITH ME.BOTTOM LINE IS THAT AGAIN REAL DEAL OR NOT ON HIS SHOW HE MAKES PEOPLE FEEL GOOD RELIEVED SOME OF THIER SUFFERING AND PAIN WHEN THEY BELIEVE THAT THEY ACTUALLY HAVE COMMUNICATED WITH THIER LOVE ONES AND I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.
Posted by Ray  in  Stonybrook NY  on  Wed May 27, 2009  at  06:16 AM
These performers are more likely psychics reading minds of audience members - which is where they are getting their info from. Mind reading is VERY REAL - it has been studied, proved and used by military, for nearly 100 years in the Soviet Union. If you can read (I doubt some of you can based on your non-ability to spell) get your hands on an out of print book called "Psychic Discoveries" by Sheila Ostrander. It will blow your mind. If you still claim that psychics do not exist, then you obviously were incapable of understanding the book. It's real - get over it. However, people like John Edwards have a show and audiences and yes, they do use tricks, just like Uri Geller did, even though he is very real and talented too. But even mind-readers have off days, so they have to rely on tricks. It's too bad, but it's entertaining. Anyone going to a group reading should know this. In a private reading, they are most likely reading your mind. Many countries use psychics to solve crimes. Don't you people read the papers? By the way, I came to this website, because I know someone who went to one of his shows, and supposedly had a "hit".
Posted by Laurel  in  Orange County, CA  on  Mon Jun 08, 2009  at  10:19 PM
I have otherwise intelligent friends who pay big bucks to see John Edward in person. They go gaga over his chicanery. Tickets are purchased well in advance and I believe (and have heard) that he sends his staff into the towns where some of the ticket buyers live and they innocently investigate things about the unaware fools. My friends went to his show and he did not help them but they are still in love with him. Pretty sad if you ask me. I saw a man do what Edward does, only he did it to show how a skilled person could fool people into thinking he was psychic. I'm disgusted everytime I see John Edward on TV. But it's the fools who keep him rich so what can we do. Nothing. Just like it's the fools who put the greedy politicians in charge of our lives. We deserve what we get.
Posted by S.D.  in  Oakdale CA  on  Fri Jun 19, 2009  at  03:08 PM
there are people who have abilities, but john edward is a douche. a conning, lying, underhanded, fake, douche.
why do i think there are people who have some kind of ability? my father took me to a psychic and had a chart done. he died, and whilst cleaning out boxes of old crap in my mother's attic, we came across it. it was dated nov 3, 1984- done when i was five. i was 16 when we found it. and it was accurate to a very high degree. not general crap, either- ie, you will go through difficulties with drugs and alcohol, you will leave home early, you will always want children, but will lose at least one and have difficulty having another. more? you will have the ability to do any job you wish but choose occupations that are morally rewarding more than financially rewarding. your career choices will be things that serve others.
at the time we found that chart, i had been in alateen for a year- i did have a drinking problem. i was home from job corps that weekend- i had already moved out of my mothers home. i do want children, and two years later had a miscarriage. two years ago i went through early menopause and can't have kids. i work two jobs that pay little- one as a youth advocate, the other as a personal health aid for the disabled. i have had jobs that paid triple what i make now, but i've always quit them to go back.
so, yes, there are a lot of unexplainable phenomena and abilities in the world- but john edward possesses none of them, and unfortunately crooks like him give a bad name to the honestly gifted people of the world.
Posted by airica  in  columbus  on  Thu Jul 30, 2009  at  08:05 PM
John Edward is soo fake he proberly asks all about the people before aired, after the credits with him talking and names next to it , there is a massive load of writting which stays on for like 5 seconds and it's saying it's fake
Posted by Jack  in  England  on  Tue Sep 08, 2009  at  07:10 PM
It is interesting to hear so many people call him fake and yet I bet none of you have ever seen him live. I too am a skeptic and my brother came with me. He thought he was a fake and was looking for microphones etc. I can tell you that I didn't hear one person talking about dead loved ones.

He came to one person was explaining how the dead relative spoke an obscure language like Farsi. It took a good five minutes for the person to remember that she and her relative had spoken Farsi as a child. There were many more instances and I was LOOKING for the fishing. I didn't see it. He comes up with very specific examples that I can't see being made up.

Oh and by the way, he actually had a show in a relatively small community so I doubt that there were Edwards plants fishing around without someone figuring that out. It's not like people start talking about where their relative's quirks or secrets while waiting in line at the grocery store.

I'm not convinced but it is enough for reasonable doubt.
Posted by April  in  New Jersey  on  Fri Sep 18, 2009  at  12:45 AM
ok i have an idea that will stop all these arguments on wether he is for real or not. Why dosent someone go on his show and the first thing he says jus agree with and go along with whatever he is saying so he has this elaborate story about someone that has died in your family. Then just shout I MADE ALL THAT SHIT UP YOU FUCKING DOUCHE I HOPE YOU DIE A PAINFULL DEATH!!! Death happens and we all need to get over the fact that someone close to your heart has died. We dont need these douche's pretending he can talk to them because if anything its slowing don the healing process.
Posted by Neil  in  England  on  Wed Oct 07, 2009  at  07:33 AM
this is the most hilarious board I have ever read. I think there are far worse mediums around than john edward, you guys obviously havent seen some of them from the uk - Derek Acorah is my particular favourite. I recommend him for a giggle, he is as mad as a fish.
Personally I like John Edward he is way more specific than a lot of others.
I cant believe people get so wound up by mediums because they cant prove what they are saying - people have been believing far more ridiculous stories for hundreds of years without a shred of evidence - christianity anyone? now thats an outrage and think how much money churches suck out of people every year and the fear they cause people. I think people should focus their gripes where it is most deserved.
Posted by elsie  in  uk  on  Wed Oct 07, 2009  at  01:33 PM
Eddy,it sounds to me like you have serious issues with the great people of the U.S. and the country in general.All I can say is Fuck you and everyone who loves to talk about the "Evil Empire."You are probably from that faggot island that we kicked it's ass and sent packing,and saved it's pussy countrymen from nazi invasion.No matter where you are from, you can believe that the U.S has done more for your backwards ass shit hole than the pathetic assholes that run the country.So next time you want to rant about what idiots Americans are,do it in person.That way you can experience first hand a good old fashioned American ass whipping.
Posted by chris in the good ole' USA  in  U.S.A.  on  Wed Oct 14, 2009  at  04:21 PM
you're all a bunch of retards. an entertaining bunch of retards. never ceases to amaze me how ignorant and dim witted people can be. thank you john edwards for showing it. now go die in a horrible fire and take all your idiotic fans with you.
Posted by another joe  in  USA  on  Thu Dec 17, 2009  at  04:00 AM
Comments: Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >