Dog wins art contest, 1974
The disumbrationist art hoax, 1924
The Lovely Feejee Mermaid, 1842
Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
Script of Casablanca rejected, 1982
The Stone-Age Tasaday Hoax, 1971
Introducing Cranky Media Guy
On Sunday I leave for Africa. I'll be there for three weeks. I'm spending a week in Malawi, where my sister lives, and two weeks in South Africa, where members of my wife's family live. I probably won't have many chances to connect to the internet while I'm there.

As it turns out, Flora is also leaving for a vacation in Wales at the same time. Which could mean a sudden absence of Curators at the MoH, and not much blog content being produced.

To prevent that I've arranged for a guest blogger while Flora and I are gone. It's someone quite familiar to many people here -- none other than Cranky Media Guy (aka Bob Pagani). He has perfect credentials for the position. He's a media hoaxer, radio personality, warden of the Abu Ghraib Fantasy Prison Camp, and winner of the $365M Powerball Lottery. He'll be blogging from up north in Oregon.

So please give him a warm welcome. And if you want to help him out by giving him tips about links or news stories, just use the site's contact form. I've configured it so that he'll receive messages sent through it.
Categories: Miscellaneous
Posted by The Curator on Thu Jun 21, 2007
Welcome Cranky Media Guy! We look forward to giving you the same hassles we give Flora and Alex. wink
Posted by Tah  in  Idaho (Yes, Idaho)  on  Thu Jun 21, 2007  at  10:36 PM
Psh, hoax! You and Flora are totally running off to have an affair. Don't think I don't see through your lies!

Just kidding. Welcome Cranky Media Guy!
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Thu Jun 21, 2007  at  10:49 PM
I'm reading the title and thinking, I know that name, now which website have I seen it on?

Duh!
Posted by Sharruma  in  capable of finishing a coherent  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  12:07 AM
Wait! I just realized this means that I'll have RESPONSIBILITY for something. I've been avoiding that all my life. I mean, why do you think I was a FAKE college student for several years at Fordham?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  05:03 AM
Seriously, though, yes, by all means send me things you feel belong on this site. I'm pretty good at finding stuff, but I can't see EVERYTHING.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  05:04 AM
This is a hoax, right?
Posted by Unfairly Balanced  in  Earth  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  06:30 AM
I'm sure you'll do just fine Cranky!
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  06:49 AM
Have fun in Africa, Alex! Don't let the tsetse flies bite! And have fun in Wales, Flora! Don't let the, ummmm, whales bite.

*sits and waits eagerly to be entertained by Cranky Media Guy*

If CMG makes a good Curator, will there be a three-way wrestling match among him, Flora and you to see who gets to be in control of this place upon your return? Let me know in advance, so I can start preparing the pre-match merchandise. grin
Posted by Accipiter  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  10:28 AM
Hello, Mr. Cranky Media Guy. Nice to meet you. I've heard so much about you, like the whole chicken/monkey fiasco in France a few years back, and the industrial sabotage spree you and your college buds went on back in the late '50's. What a life you've lived: getting the Congressional Medal of Honor for the work you did with the CIA, dating Raquel Welch while attending the Winter Olympics in Sarjevo, helping Bill Gates develop Windows, and giving Nancy Reagan daily horoscopes in 1986 and '87. Sometimes, I wake up, and say to myself: "Damn, I wish I was CMG today. Just for ONE day. Man, what a life I could lead". And NOW, you're the Guest Host of MOH. That's a good topper to the cake, dude, the apex, the pinacle, the pinhead of one's existence. Kinda hard to find much satisfaction in anything that comes after this, you know. It's kinda all downhill after this, nothing may give you the same feeling, just dusty, ancient memories of past glories and perfect days gone by. The susnsets won't look the same. The kiss of your dog, your girlfriend, your dog's girlfriend just won't have that same old bittersweet poignancy to it. Nothing but entropic spirals into the bottomless pits of dispair. Damn, CMG, you're really getting the short end of this deal. I say, you're getting ripped off, used, exploited! Rise up, I say- take back your right to be happy! Don't let Evil Alex foist this hardship from hell upon you! We're behind you, man! Be a pepper!
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  10:55 AM
I'm really sorry. I apologize, I just get carried away. I've never misspelled "sunsets" before, and now I've gone and done it. Oh, woe. Lamentations and misgivings abound. Dag nab it
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  10:59 AM
sorry. I meant "dag-nabbit". Sheesh, what a day. Pafalafaka waffles and marmalade
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  11:02 AM
CMG!!! I can't wait to read your entries! (you know I'm your biggest fan)
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  11:35 PM
Shut up about the dog, Hairy! Sheesh.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sat Jun 23, 2007  at  05:03 AM
"shut up about the dog"... Perhaps it should be Testy Media Guy, Touchy Media Guy or (my favorite) Two Media Guys From Harrison. Yes, kids, I'm extremely old, but I get good mileage, and my hood ornament is still shiny. And I don't kiss dogs. sorry
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sat Jun 23, 2007  at  10:16 AM
you know, I've given this some thought, and I've come to the conclusion that CMG is indeed the right choice to fill in for Evil Alex. From my observations, CMG is not the type to alter any postings, such as censoring statements as to who really killed JFK. Hell we all know it was ***** **** and ******** ****, but I hope he wouldn't censor that, even tho it's pretty obvious. Most people wouldn't think that ****** ****** had that kind of power and outreach that would enable them to off JFK, but it's easy when assisted by ***** *********. CMG: When the truth hurts, he kisses the boo-boo. And the dog
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sat Jun 23, 2007  at  05:01 PM
ahem... well, I've been wrong before. I can't remember when, but I'm sure it's happened in the past. Did you know that GWB is in league with ****** ****** ***** in order to alter the stock of ***** *********? That much, I'm sure of.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sat Jun 23, 2007  at  05:03 PM
dag, he's quick with that mouse for a dog smoocher
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sat Jun 23, 2007  at  05:04 PM
I resent your implications, Hairy. That wasn't sex, it was LOVE.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Jun 24, 2007  at  05:47 AM
Okay, I see your resentment of my implications, and I raise it with an implication of your resentment. Methinks thou dost puppy-buss too much. Oh, and BTW, try and stay on topic. Some people
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sun Jun 24, 2007  at  10:05 AM
"Three Weeks In Africa", coming soon to a theater near you. I once wrangled llamas on the set of the film; "Seven Bribes For Seven Township Supervisors". It was a torrid little tale about the trials and tribulations of a small boy in 1950's Ramonia, starring the World's Greatest Thespian, Raoul Raoul. It didn't do too well in the box office (the distributor was a wanker), but got great play on video. There was talk of a sequel, but Raoul Raoul disappeared one night with the llamas and my car, so we parted ways and have rarely crossed each other's path since. I do, however, run into the llamas now and then. They've put on a bit of weight, so I guess they are doing well. Those guys always get work, but never enough exercise. Lucky llama punks
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sun Jun 24, 2007  at  10:18 AM