Tube of liquor hidden in prohibition-era boot, 1920s
Jennifer Love Hewitt's Disappearing Breasts
The Nobody For President Campaign, 1940 to Present
Paul Krassner's Stereophonic Hoax, 1960
Use your left ear to detect lies
Cat that walked 3000 miles to find its owners, 1951
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
Swiss peasants harvest spaghetti from trees, 1957
Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
International Association of Pranksters and Hoaxers
image Ron Dentinger of the International Association of Pranksters and Hoaxers sent me an email to give me a heads up about the Association's website. Yes, it is a real association, which includes such esteemed members as Alan Abel and Cranky Media Guy. They met in February in Las Vegas. Their site includes a hoax photo challenge, which currently shows a photo of a man with a gorilla and asks whether it's real or a hoax. I'm guessing that it's real.
Categories: Pranks
Posted by The Curator on Fri Apr 21, 2006
How come they have a link to Snopes, but not a link to MoH? Cranky needs to get on the ball.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Fri Apr 21, 2006  at  05:09 PM
Well, I'm supposed to ask Alex for permission to link to the MoH site. I don't actually think we need permission, but it would be nice all the same to have it. So, Alex, can we link to you, pretty please?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Apr 21, 2006  at  08:45 PM
Oh, all right.

Actually, I'd be honored and my feelings will be hurt if you now don't link.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Fri Apr 21, 2006  at  08:59 PM
That photo is fake, look how messed up the hand looks.
Posted by Jerry Jackson  in  Amsterdam  on  Fri Apr 21, 2006  at  10:37 PM
Bob Noell really did deal with apes, so I'm guessing this is real. It just may not be what it seems. It might not be him attacking a gorilla, so much as it is, him WITH a gorilla.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Sat Apr 22, 2006  at  01:00 AM
Seems to unlikely to be fake...but that hand looks really dodgy
Posted by Owen  on  Sat Apr 22, 2006  at  01:03 PM
^^too unlikely..you know what I mean
Posted by Owen  on  Sat Apr 22, 2006  at  01:03 PM
It is Real.

Check here:

Best Wishes

The Legend - Las Vegas, Nevada
Posted by The Legend  in  Las Vegas  on  Sat Apr 22, 2006  at  07:16 PM
Legend got it. The gorilla picture appeared on the February 1969 issue of Science Digest. The late Bob Noell used to walk Tommy the gorilla on a leash. Bob was missing the two middle fingers on his right hand. They were bitten off by a chimp. Gorillas are passive. Chimps are aggressive and opportunistic.

Ron
Posted by Ron  on  Sat Apr 22, 2006  at  09:33 PM
I thought gorillas had larger canine teeth (eye teeth.. whatever you'd like to call them). Or is that just something perpetuated by Hollywood monsters such as King Kong?

Likewise gorilla could be an old one, or they filed/removed his teeth for safety reasons?
Posted by Emidawg  on  Sun Apr 23, 2006  at  02:07 AM