Bizarre pictographs of Emmanuel Domenech, 1860
The Nazi Air Marker Hoax, 1942
Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
Dead Body of Loch Ness Monster Found, 1972
Jernegan's Gold Accumulator Scam, 1898
Can a bar of soap between your sheets ease muscle cramps?
The Stone-Age Tasaday Hoax, 1971
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
Haunted Gmail Account
image Confirming my theory that haunting is the ultimate way to add value to any product on eBay, a haunted Gmail account is now up for sale on the auction site. Of course, the value of Gmail accounts is plummeting now that so many of them are available. But a haunted Gmail account that places a curse on whomever owns it... that's something special. I'm tempted to make an offer on it myself. (thanks to Lothar in the Hoax Forum for this find)
Categories: eBay, Paranormal
Posted by The Curator on Wed Jun 30, 2004
How are so many Gmail accounts available. How does one go about getting an account? I'd like to have one.
Posted by Casey W.  on  Thu Jul 01, 2004  at  12:33 AM
Simply email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and I will give you one.
Posted by Ateo Fiel  on  Thu Jul 01, 2004  at  02:32 PM
I've got a whole s-load of them too.. they keep increasing the amount of invites I get... I wonder if that's just the way you get an address, in order to (hopefully) keep down the number of abusers...
Posted by Bob S. Yunkle  on  Fri Jul 02, 2004  at  07:25 PM
I could use a gmail invite -- anyone who can help out, drop me a note at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Posted by Ben Syverson  in  chicago  on  Fri Jul 02, 2004  at  10:53 PM
I don't believe it. I'm buying it. I'm gonna be just fine. Nothing that you can't feel and touch with your hands could possibly be haunted. Ghosts live in houses, not wires and hard drives.
Posted by john  in  NH  on  Sat Jul 03, 2004  at  11:50 PM
Maybe it contains some sort of virus... I don't know... Can you make them like that?
Posted by Max  on  Sun Jul 04, 2004  at  08:10 PM
A computer virus can't turn into a real one and it can't make you vanish. I think the whole story is fake and there's nothing wrong with the invitation.
Posted by john  in  NH  on  Mon Jul 05, 2004  at  01:24 AM
Umm, things that you can touch could not be haunted either.
Posted by Bob S. Yunkle  on  Mon Jul 05, 2004  at  04:16 AM
what do you mean, Bob S. Yunkle? I still don't believe it's haunted. Right now it's only selling for $2.25. I guess he spoke too soon when he said "confirming my theory that haunting is the ultimate way to add value to any product on eBay."
Posted by john  in  NH  on  Mon Jul 05, 2004  at  01:40 PM
anyone wanna buy my dirty underwear? my HAUNTED dirty underwear I might add?

yes- it has a certain ring to it. I will try it on e-bay and confirm/discard the theory.
Posted by parazyte  on  Wed Jul 07, 2004  at  02:27 PM
John, the auction ends today and the haunted gmail account is now up to $10.50... which is pretty good for something you could pretty easily get for free elsewhere. So I think my 'added value by haunting' theory still is holding up.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Jul 07, 2004  at  03:23 PM
>But a haunted Gmail account that places a curse on whomever >owns it....

That should be "whoever." Check with your favorite grammarian!

Len
Posted by Leonard Morgenstern  in  Walnut Creek, California  on  Fri Jul 09, 2004  at  02:23 AM
ok fine then