Script of Casablanca rejected, 1982
Bonsai Kittens, 2000
The Great Wall of China Hoax, 1899
Jernegan's Gold Accumulator Scam, 1898
Princess Caraboo, servant girl who became a princess, 1817
Bizarre pictographs of Emmanuel Domenech, 1860
Life discovered on the moon, 1835
Did Poe say 'The best things in life make you sweaty'?
Has Bill Gates Converted To Islam?
I got an email asking me if it's true that Bill Gates has converted to Islam. Seems like an odd question, but doing a google search uncovers that this rumor has been going around. Over at the Ultimate Bill Gates site you can find lots of people asking if the rumor is true (scroll down to the comments section), and the Gates of Vienna site reports getting lots of search-engine traffic from people searching for the phrase 'Bill Gates converts to Islam'. I think I've found the source of the rumor. Over at Iraqitek.com, someone posted a screenshot of an arabic-language website that supposedly has a story about Bill Gates' Islamic conversion. I don't know any Arabic, so I can't tell what the screenshot says, but assuming that the text in the screenshot does describe Gates' new-found beliefs, it must be the source of the rumor. However, I have no idea where the screenshot itself came from. Oh, and to answer the original question: No, Bill Gates has not converted to Islam.
image
Categories: Religion
Posted by The Curator on Mon Apr 11, 2005
Why WOULD he convert to Islam, he already thinks he's god.

cheese
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Mon Apr 11, 2005  at  02:51 AM
Thanks for running this one down. It's driving me nuts! Our site traffic is through the roof due to it. And, BTW, if it matters, you beat Snopes to it. They've still got nothing.
Posted by Baron Bodissey  in  Gates of Vienna  on  Mon Apr 11, 2005  at  08:08 AM
Bill Gates is a fairly common name. Perhaps some other Bill Gates has converted.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Mon Apr 11, 2005  at  03:38 PM
The Seven Pillars of Windows
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Apr 11, 2005  at  06:31 PM
if he has been really converted to Islam so i think this is god for him
Posted by dodo  on  Wed Apr 13, 2005  at  04:43 AM
Im Proud of bill gates becoming a muslim. he now knows now whats right and wrong and i hope allah "God" gives merci to us all brothers and sisters:)

P.S: im proud because im a muslim, i hope u be to:) and please remember pals that gods looking at U and what r u doing and who r u fighting for:)
Posted by Muslim  in  Bahrain  on  Wed Apr 13, 2005  at  08:36 AM
This hoax has been doing the
rounds of Islamic forums for a
month.

I'll try to translate
the Arabic page you posted (I'm bored:- ))

---------------------------------------------
Anwar Tunis No 213, Thusday 10
February 2005
---------------------------------------------

At the center of shock and
condemnation in the centers of
American Science

THE EMPEROR OF WORLD COMPUTING
AND SOFTWARE BILL GATES..CONVERTS
TO ISLAM

al-Habib Sadiq al-Zeen- Washington

"I have gained
everything..money..leadership..science
but all my life I have been
looking for something that's
missing..this is the peace of
mind I have found in Islam"

This is how Bill Gates started
his speak in a party in his
honour organized by the American
society for the homeless and the
dispossessed RYACH in New York
on the 5th of this month.

And this is how the emperor of
computer building Bill Gates
suprised those present with news
that shocked them and stunned them
all. And the American journal
Christian Science Monitor,
which broke the story, mentioned
that with this speech Bill Gates
put a stop to the speculation
concerning his frequent repeated
visits to American Muslims such
as the American Muslim Louis
Farhan.

The journal also asks: "Will
Bill gates aim his future software
to aid Islam?" The mentioned
journal also notes that Gates
explained to its journalist that
the attacks of 11 September 2001
were a turning point in his life,
which made him turn his attention
to the study of Islam and
understanding Islamic thinkers
which in turn convinced him that
Islam was the religion he has
been searching for.

Moreover, several scientific
communities in the united states
condemned the speech of Gates
and the Eisenhower center for
software development in Chicago
issued a statement in which the
petitioners state that scientific
progress in recent times was
nothing but the result of the
separation of religion from
science, hoping that this new
direction of Gates does not
affect the future production of
software.

But will we as Muslims benefit
from the conversion of an important
identity such as Bill gates? We
hope so..
Posted by Arabian  in  Arabia  on  Wed Apr 13, 2005  at  09:15 AM
Hey, thanks! smile
Posted by Winona  in  USA  on  Wed Apr 13, 2005  at  10:40 AM
Posted by Muslim Sister  on  Wed Apr 13, 2005  at  01:47 PM
Well i dont have much to say, dunno if this is true or if its a rumor cuz its been goin all around even at school, people of the planet earth... If Gates became a muslim then he and everyone else knows thats good for him..if not then its a not. So just leave the guy alone..
PS: i heard this was an April Fool's Joke...well hope it isnt...
Posted by Hassan  in  Dubai  on  Wed Apr 13, 2005  at  02:14 PM
Why WOULD he convert to Islam?
search on the answer here: http://www.harunyahya.com
Posted by adnan  in  Morroco  on  Thu Apr 14, 2005  at  07:07 AM
I am surprised that people are taken with such a big news without one step of verification!!!

I searched the Christian Science Monitor (http://www.csmonitor.com) site that the Arabic article refered to and found NOTHING regarding Bill Gates.

I am a muslim. Our prophet taught us, when it concerns other people, to always check and seek the truth (away from the wishful thinking).

We direct all our hopes to Allah and not to Bill Gates. If we want the best for islam, don't wait for Bill Gates to become a muslim. Ask Allah and NOT Bill Gates.
Posted by Bassam  in  Jordan  on  Thu Apr 14, 2005  at  01:34 PM
I do not know why some people find it strange if Bill Gates converts to Islam. He is human like all those americans and others who converted to Islam including famous, sientists and even preists. That is Allah who guide whom he like.
This web site is an example of what I am saying: http://www.islamyesterday.com
Posted by taher  in  egypt  on  Thu Apr 14, 2005  at  05:48 PM
Stupid Stupid Stupid A**H**e if has converted to islam
Posted by Moh'd  in  China  on  Fri Apr 15, 2005  at  03:56 AM
To all of you who said ``if he converted to Islam then he found the truth`` I say,try for once to realize that other people who follow other religions have feelings too. Said who Islam is the truth, the right religion,,,,a quick comparison between the prophet of Islam, and any other prophet will prove the Islam inferior, also, the Woman`s rights in Islam is virtually nil.

Do yourselves a favour and check the book ``Why Am I Not a Muslim`` for once try to read with an open mind.

Cheers
Posted by masri canadi  in  Canada  on  Fri Apr 15, 2005  at  04:12 PM
Sorry to dissapoint all "believers". But this is just First of Apirl Joke.

It was intended to be a joke for users in secularkuwait.org

One of the members fabricated the the news item as a first of April joke, and of course, the members soon discovered it was just a joke.

Normally, it would just end at that, but some how, someone Muslim apparently copied the faked image somewhere and the hoax started.

And Muslims WANT to believe it, so the hoax spread. They even write about it in newspapers nowadays.

Since people don't check their references, there is no such newspaper or magazine known as "Anwar Tunis", it was just made up. The whole thing was intended as a joke, but muslims so helpless psychologically in this time are clinging to anything to might encourage their spirits. I, for one, feel pity for them.

Over and Out.
Posted by Hoax  on  Sat Apr 16, 2005  at  12:49 AM
if bill gates covert to islam cause he get the right way to allah to baradis to be the best in every things , money, authorty, life, muslim
thaks allah

hope that rommer be right
please reply when confirm that

fady
Posted by faady h. ismail  on  Sat Apr 16, 2005  at  04:46 AM
Hey,
Guys, Who cares if Bill Gates entered Islam or not. It's his life, not ours. He has a mind of a genius, so he knows better what is right for himself, whether it is entering Islam, or not. Honestly, if he did enter Islam, then probably that is what he truely wants. So leave the guy alone.
Posted by Amma  on  Sat Apr 16, 2005  at  02:02 PM
For whatever's worth talking about this...either a rumor or not, I applaud Bill Gates to embrace Islam and to open his heart and his mind to what is true. Now that's a mind of a genius!!!! grin
Posted by some guy  in  some ware  on  Sun Apr 17, 2005  at  12:55 AM
If you check "The Christian Science Monitor" front page (shown on top of this column) , you can read the title ,under Bill's picture, "Afghans Vote, ready or not". Also the date of "Anwar Tunis", if such a paper exists, is 10 February, 05 and there weren't any Afghany elections at that time.

I also serched the Christian Science Monitor for the article of "Afghans Vote, ready or not" and results were:
from the Oct 08, 2004 edition
Afghans vote, ready or not
By Scott Baldauf KABUL, AFGHANISTAN Saturday, whether the Taliban or the warlords like it or not, Afghanistan will have its first-ever presidential....

I then searched the whole issue (Oct 08 2004) for any Bill Gates articles, all 33 articles didnot even mention the guy's name.

The mail is a HOAX and the newspaper front page is fabricated.
Posted by Mohamed Nadder  on  Sun Apr 17, 2005  at  06:48 AM
Dear guys, why you are so nervous. Relax please. May be it is not true. Also, may be it is true. Any how try to be relax and to accept the matter with open mind, with kind heart and with gentle man attitude . Belive me it is good for your health and your general aspect. He is neither the first nor the last. So please relax.
Posted by Hisham  in  egypt  on  Mon Apr 18, 2005  at  07:39 AM
Hi , guys ,,

I got that email , I felt surprised , BUT later when I checked the site of "Christian Science Observer" out , it was all untrue .. SORRY for all those who felt happy to hear it ..

Some people here wrote sth reflects that they don't trust "Islam" , or may be don't trust religions at all ! I know exactly how U feel coz I WAS one of U ..

But U know what , I CONVERTED TO ISLAM 2 years ago .. this is why I feel like I'm involved in this story somehow ...

Okay , what I'm saying here to all people who doen't like the idea of having a religion :
IF anyone of U wanna know why do I have a religion now , and why it is Islam .. then U R most welcome to email me on :

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

U know , I like sharing experience with other people , it always gives U new Horizons ..

Lina ,
Posted by Lina  in  Jordan  on  Mon Apr 18, 2005  at  05:16 PM
and may i ask who are u and how are u so sure that bill gates didn t convert to a mulim i mean bye the way u are talking ,it seems to me that u are his son or a relativ to him .....,and yeah abou that arabic text u are saying about i sow it and it says that bill has done an meeting in NewYork City saiying about islams and how did he get to become a muslim after studying the islam relegion

Best regards H.O.ISSA
Posted by Hicham  in  Lebanon  on  Tue Apr 19, 2005  at  04:06 AM
I beg your pardon?
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Tue Apr 19, 2005  at  05:07 AM
Hi ,,

Why am I sure that the story is untrue?
I don't need to be "Lina Gates" to know that .. there R many ways to check out

The Article is supposed to be from a magazine called "Anwar Tunis" , I made 3 different researches on the net and found no site for this Magazine ( I don't know if it exists ! ) ..
The Article also mentioned a magazine called ( Christian Science Monitor ) , for this one I found a site ( this one exists!!) but I searched its site twice and found nothing about this story ,, completely nothing .. ( Anyway , if U wanna try this Ur self , go a head http://www.csmonitor.com/)

Now , the thing that made me sure that this story is untrue is the following : the article refers to Bill Gates's speech in ( the 5th of April in New York ) ..I checked the site of Bill Gates , and he had no speech at that happy day ! Again , U can see that Urself http://www.microsoft.com/billgates/speeches.asp

All the things that article talks about DOES NOT EXIST .. there's no proof makes U believe it ..

Another thing , just think about it ( with Ur mind and not emotionally ) , news like this must be on the Head Titles in American Formal Newspapers and Media ..
( I watch the CNN , but it said nothing about this! , http://www.cnn.com/ .... Also there's nothing in the NewYork Times Newspaper , the formal Newspaper in NewYork City where that story is suposed to happen http://www.nytimes.com/),,

At least , such news must be at Bill Gates Web Page , but again there's nothing there ..

And of course U don't think that Bill Gates kept his new religion as a secret and told only that "Anwar Tunis" !!

U know what I think .. I think this is April Joke for this Year .. but it's very well-fabricated , many many people belived it .. when I was making searches to find out if it's true or not , I found many sites and Forums discussing it very seriously ..
But with few searches about the things mentioned in the article , U surprisely discover that it's all a fake story ..

As old say ( Don't believe half of what U see , and all of what U hear ) !! Don't U agree ?
Posted by Lina  in  Jordan  on  Tue Apr 19, 2005  at  05:52 AM
well i dunnu what to say, but am FREACKIN HAPPY...
see people anyone with a normal level of smartness... will be leaded by nature to the one god... and to islam
so should we be happy?
yes sure as the muslims felt happy befor when omar entered the islam
Posted by alrayat^al^sood  in  lebanon  on  Thu Apr 21, 2005  at  05:39 PM
Hi ,

Yeah , I know that , the best comfort in the world is in being a beliver ..

I know that as I tryed both lives : with and without believing in God .. and yeah , it's a huge difference !
Posted by Lina  on  Thu Apr 21, 2005  at  06:08 PM
For those interested tracing this hoax and can read Arabic here is some comentary on the hoax.

If you are interested in more comentary stick the following into google

أنوار تونس

This is "anwar tunis" in Arabic Windows encoding.
Posted by Arabian  in  Arabia  on  Fri Apr 22, 2005  at  12:43 AM
This whole articl was created by a guy at http://www.secularkuwait.org

It was posted as an April Fools thing.

There is no tunisian news paper under the name "Anwar Tunis".

It's just a big joke.
Posted by Prefer not tosay  in  Kuwait  on  Fri Apr 22, 2005  at  04:22 AM
bill gates . if he's muslim , cristian or jewish it's his decision to make. i'm a muslim and wether bill converted to islam or not its the same each person will be punished for his sins and rewarded for his good deeds....

so leave the guy alone
Posted by SLIM  in  SYRIA  on  Sat Apr 23, 2005  at  03:00 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >