The Nobody For President Campaign, 1940 to Present
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
Fake Fish Photos
The Case of the Vanishing Belly Button, 1964
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
Happy Birthday, Cardiff Giant
He's 137 years old today (October 16). The Washington Post reports:
On Oct. 16, 1869, workers in Cardiff, New York, dug up what they thought was a 10-foot-tall petrified man. The Cardiff Giant was big, all right -- a big hoax. A year earlier, George Hull paid $2,600 to have the giant made, then buried on a farm. Even after Hull admitted the hoax, people wanted to see it. They still do: The Cardiff Giant has been displayed in Cooperstown, New York, since 1948.
Of course, I have much more info about "Old Hoaxy" in the Gallery of Hoaxes. I still think I must be the only person who's ever gone to Cooperstown, New York just to see the Cardiff Giant, without ever bothering to set foot in the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Categories: History
Posted by The Curator on Mon Oct 16, 2006

Yes Alex, but you're special
wink
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  06:16 AM
Ooh...I share my birthday with the Cardiff Giant! grin
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  06:57 AM
You're much better preserved, though, Smerk! wink
Posted by Accipiter  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  08:47 AM
Happy Birthday to you too, Smerk!
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  11:54 AM
"I still think I must be the only person who's ever gone to Cooperstown, New York just to see the Cardiff Giant, without ever bothering to set foot in the Baseball Hall of Fame."

Nope, you're not that unique, Alex (okay, that's improper english, but hey). I did a report on him back in high school, rode out there from where I lived then, the tip of Cayuga Lake. Couldn't care less about baseball, so just checked out the olde tyme village-e while I was there.

Might even have beaten you to it - I was there innnnn... 1981?
Posted by Just Al  in  North Carolina  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  01:00 PM
Our family enjoyed Cooperstown without going to the Hall of Fame. There's a lot in that area to enjoy as tourists.
Posted by cvirtue  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  01:03 PM