Paul Krassner's Stereophonic Hoax, 1960
Jennifer Love Hewitt's Disappearing Breasts
The Gallery of Fake Viral Images
Man flies by own lung power, 1934
The Hitler Diary Hoax, 1983
Taco Bells buys the Liberty Bell, 1996
Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
Can a bar of soap between your sheets ease muscle cramps?
Halloween Plane Crash Display Mistaken for Real
imageAccording to Reuters, a mock-up plane crash erected as a Halloween display was mistaken for the real thing. Los Angeles police visited the home, but were informed by the homeowner that it was not a real accident.

The homeowner is an aircraft mechanic in training and the parts are from a real Gulfstream jet. Apparently, once people realise it's just a display, the only problem is them slowing their cars to take a good look.

(Thanks, Robert.)
Categories: Miscellaneous
Posted by Boo on Mon Oct 23, 2006
This could be mistaken. Actually I'm suprised no-one called the police.
Posted by J  on  Mon Oct 23, 2006  at  04:01 PM
Ok. Hopefully now someone can explain to me the connection between Halloween and plane crashes.
Posted by Floormaster Squeeze  in  Spring Hill, MA  on  Mon Oct 23, 2006  at  04:02 PM
Well you see, sometimes vampires turn into bats to avoid being seen. Occasionally while they're flying they get hungry..too hungry to land, so they fly up and drink the blood of plane captains, which causes the plane to crash. And that's how plane crashes came to be strongly associated with Halloween. Duh. wink
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Mon Oct 23, 2006  at  04:53 PM
because its SCARY.

kinda
Posted by joodd  on  Mon Oct 23, 2006  at  05:37 PM
I'm pretty sure I don't get it.
Plane crash? It's not even a halloweeny plane crash.
Posted by Laura  in  Nebraska  on  Mon Oct 23, 2006  at  07:54 PM
It's probably the scariest thing in the world to an aircraft mechanic in training.

So what were the police thinking? Maybe a plane crashed and no FAA authorities heard about it until long after the fires were out? Or maybe they thought they'd find one of the long-lost Bermuda Triangle planes.
Posted by JoeDaJuggler  in  St. Louis, MO  on  Mon Oct 23, 2006  at  11:51 PM
It's so obvious!
'Tis a tribute to the show "Lost".
Posted by Dily  in  West Virginia  on  Tue Oct 24, 2006  at  11:38 AM

But, Dily does seem to be correct according to this article.

Also, the guy says all but one reaction has been positive. The one negative reaction? Somebody drove by and flipped him off. LOL
Posted by Chuck  in  Rhode Island  on  Tue Oct 24, 2006  at  01:09 PM
According to my friends in New York, an airplane crash in a big city seldom goes unnoticed, so you do have to wonder just what the police thought they were investigating.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Plainview, Texas  on  Tue Oct 24, 2006  at  07:31 PM
The police probably didn't know what they were investigating, really; they most likely got a call and then went out there to see what was going on.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Wed Oct 25, 2006  at  12:57 PM
"I don't know about that being obvious, since I have never ever watched "Lost", that interpretation never occurred to me."

Haha, sometimes I forget the world is not a nerdlinger like me. :-D
Posted by Dily  in  West Virginia  on  Wed Oct 25, 2006  at  01:29 PM
To be fair Dily I am probably the minority in that category. At least if the Nielson ratings are any indication. smile
Posted by Chuck  in  Rhode Island  on  Wed Oct 25, 2006  at  03:45 PM
Bad taste. Plane crashes are not the 'fun' kind of scary.

But then, I don't think much of the 'haunted houses for Jesus" that pop up around my neck of the woods, either.
Posted by Barghest  on  Mon Oct 30, 2006  at  05:15 PM