The Instant Color TV Hoax, 1962
Baby Yoga, aka Swinging Your Kid Around Your Head
Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
The most sacred relic: the Holy Foreskin, circa 800 AD
Monkeys pick cotton, a 19th-century urban legend
Google Launches Gmail
Google has announced a new email service called Gmail, that will give each user one gigabyte of free storage. Strangely, the press release is dated April 1, leading many to speculate that it's an April Fool's Day joke. Maybe it is, but if so it would seem a very odd one. Usually April Fool's Day jokes involve a certain minimum level of wit, and you should feel foolish for believing them once you find out they're a joke. But if someone were to tell me that Gmail is a joke, I wouldn't feel foolish. I'd just feel like Google had lied. There is some goofy language in the press release, but otherwise it just doesn't seem over-the-top enough to be a joke. But time will tell.
Categories: April Fools Day, Email Hoaxes
Posted by The Curator on Thu Apr 01, 2004
I'd just feel like Google had lied

Get your sense of humour back on track, will ya? You acting like a baby!
Posted by loit  in  TX  on  Thu Apr 01, 2004  at  04:26 AM
Google has a link on their main page purporting to be job opportunities on Google's new lunar hosting and research center, so this one is their April Fool's joke. I'd be surprised if they had two jokes. Seems like it'd be over the top.
Posted by David  on  Thu Apr 01, 2004  at  05:12 AM
Posted by David  on  Thu Apr 01, 2004  at  05:13 AM
Sorry for the double post... browser troubles.
Posted by David  on  Thu Apr 01, 2004  at  05:14 AM
This article might shed some light:

Apparently they are offering an email service, but they want to be able to read your mail and then provide you with text ads that pertain to what the email contains.

Not something I'd be interested in, but maybe it'll work for some people.
Posted by Redraven  on  Thu Apr 01, 2004  at  05:36 PM
Actually, it's real. I know someone who has an account. This should be old news, but if someone's browsing through the E-Museum idly, just to let you know.
Posted by The blank dude  in  Nowhere  on  Sat Jun 12, 2004  at  06:18 PM
bah! gmail is like sooooooooo not new and LIke SOOOOOOOo yesterday!!!! its been round for ages - well at least 5 or 6 months now only by invite! firstly they offered only 6 invites per user, then 50 invites. i have had gmail for a few months now, and my friends before that! bah i hate knowing stuff way before the rest of the world does - how naiive are we all! just look at my email address lol
ive enjoyed my 1gig of mail space for months now! joys
Posted by Kit Kat  in  Australia  on  Fri Apr 01, 2005  at  07:58 AM
Oh wow, Kit Kat. I see you always thoroughly read the article at the top before you go off all half cocked and stuff.

I wish I had a contract for you to sign, you know, one with lots of tiny print including the transfer of your power of attorney to someone's cat and stuff.

THAT would be a good April Fools joke.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Fri Apr 01, 2005  at  12:07 PM
Well, it seems Kit-Kat didn't notice the date of the first message...
Posted by Pharod  on  Fri Apr 01, 2005  at  07:23 PM
ok im sorry.. eek no i didnt read.. i suck i know oh well
Posted by Kit Kat  in  Australia  on  Fri Apr 01, 2005  at  08:50 PM
gmail is real. i know people that have gmail accounts and i have one as well. the people that have them are give a certain amount of invites to let other people join with an account.
Posted by cam  in  australia  on  Sun Oct 23, 2005  at  05:09 AM