Old-Time Photo Fakery, 1900 to 1919
September Morn, the painting that shocked the censor, 1913
Fake Fish Photos
Script of Casablanca rejected, 1982
Mule elected G.O.P. committeeman, 1938
Taco Bells buys the Liberty Bell, 1996
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
The Great Wall of China Hoax, 1899
Can a bar of soap between your sheets ease muscle cramps?
Giving Santa the Bird
Status: Undetermined
image Here's a picture that's doing the rounds. I have no idea how long it's been circulating. Anyway, it's possible that the little girl's finger has been photoshopped in. But my guess is that the picture is real enough. Though who can tell anymore. I have no clue where the picture originally came from. Click the image to read the accompanying text. (It's another one of those 'priceless' parodies.)
Categories: Photos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Wed Dec 21, 2005
It probably has not been photoshopped. My kids did this regularly; they don't understand that it's a rude gesture, and just held their hands how they wanted to.
Posted by cvirtue  on  Wed Dec 21, 2005  at  08:21 AM
See the look on her face? She knows exactly what she's doing. Wish she was my kid, I'd be so proud.
grin
Posted by Craig  on  Wed Dec 21, 2005  at  11:08 AM
My nephew used to point things using the middle finger.
Posted by Dorima  on  Wed Dec 21, 2005  at  01:01 PM
When I was watching a pretty-bad 1940's version of A Christmas Carol, the ghost of christmas future had flashlight eyes. When they pointed at me, I put up my middle finger to block the light, then realized what I was doing and put my hand down.
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Thu Dec 22, 2005  at  03:41 AM
My guess real. My cards went out this year (family picture, every one in their Christmas outfits, hair all in place, 3 kids sitting still with big smiles) and my 3 year old son was flipping off everyone. I had printed 1/2 of them before I noticed, but everyone I sent them to noticed immediately!
Posted by Tara  in  MD  on  Fri Dec 30, 2005  at  06:24 PM
hahahahahahahaha....
Posted by chelsealou  in  texas  on  Mon Jan 02, 2006  at  04:10 PM
Just for info - When you do this motion while the hand is held in an unobtrusive manner, it is called "digitus impudenticus" IIRC and was famously used by captured US airmen who where photographed with Japanese captors after the Dolittle raid on Tokyo.

Funny and rude nonetheless.
Posted by DFStuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Tue Jan 03, 2006  at  11:47 PM
i have to agree with Craig, it does look like she knew what she was doing. hahaahah
Posted by Eva  in  New York  on  Sat Mar 18, 2006  at  07:26 PM
On one of the "Baby Blues" comic strips, the husband couldn't understand she chose a certain picture for the family's Christmas newsletter. He said, "But the oldest has her finger up her nose, and the baby's got his hand in his diaper." The wife says, "Yes, but my butt doesn't look big in this one!"
Posted by John Rigler  in  Texas  on  Sun Apr 25, 2010  at  06:42 PM