Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
Bizarre pictographs of Emmanuel Domenech, 1860
The Olympic Underwear Relay, 1956
The Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, 1959
Princess Caraboo, servant girl who became a princess, 1817
Giant Baby Born in China
image Xinhuanet.com reports on a "giant baby" born in China's Hubei Province a few days ago. The baby looks pretty big in the photos, but the photo captions state that the baby "weighs 5.5 kilograms and is 57 centimeters tall." That would be about 12 lbs and a little under 2' tall. I think the height is more unusual than the weight. From what I understand, babies weighing 12 lbs aren't that unusual, especially if the mother is diabetic. Babycenter.com notes that:
For most women with gestational diabetes, the main worry is that too much glucose will end up in the baby's blood. When that happens, your baby's pancreas needs to produce more insulin to process the extra glucose. All this excess blood sugar and insulin can cause your baby to make more fat and put on extra weight, particularly in the upper body. This can lead to what's called macrosomia. A macrosomic baby may be too large to enter the birth canal.
Categories: Birth/Babies
Posted by The Curator on Mon Aug 14, 2006
This is a large infant. I had three weighing each at nearly 9 pounds and 21 inches long so this infant was three inches longer, but 3 pounds heavier...? I didn't have diabetes nor am I a large woman being 5 feet tall and small boned. I am imagining that babies are getting larger and gestation periods longer as well.
Posted by hulitoons  in  Abingdon, Maryland  on  Mon Aug 14, 2006  at  07:57 AM
That is one WICKED ugly baby.

Eeeeesh!
Posted by SoxSweepAgain  in  NYC  on  Mon Aug 14, 2006  at  08:16 AM
My brother was 12lbs 12oz & 23.5 inches.

My mother gave birth to a toddler. ...She didn't have diabetes.

Now my brother is like 6'4" & 180 lbs...but 200 when his work isn't making him keep in shape.

Except for myself...my moms babies were all biggish. 11/9, 10/15 - lbs/oz.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Mon Aug 14, 2006  at  09:28 AM
I don't think twelve is all that unusual any more. There was a 14lb baby boern a few years back to a diabetic mother in Solano county a few years back.
Posted by Jennifer  on  Mon Aug 14, 2006  at  11:22 AM
Does that pic look like forced perspective to anyone else?
Posted by Carl Fink  on  Tue Aug 15, 2006  at  09:25 PM
I have a son who was 56 cm long when he was born.I
Posted by nitedrive  in  sweden  on  Thu Aug 17, 2006  at  02:21 PM
I was born 11 pounds and now im twelve and i weigh 70 pounds, so this baby might grow up to be different
Posted by Sarah  on  Fri Sep 25, 2009  at  10:08 PM