The Crown Prince Regent of Thulia, 1954
Pierre Brassau, Monkey Artist, 1964
Monkeys pick cotton, a 19th-century urban legend
Bonsai Kittens, 2000
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
Loch Ness Monster Hoaxes
Food Advertising vs. Reality
The German website pundo3000.com has assembled a collection of 100 food products and compared what each one looks like, as shown on the packaging, to the actual product. In the majority of cases the difference is quite dramatic. But a few of the food products hold up pretty well in real life. For instance, the Milka chocolate bar looks almost exactly the same as it does on the packaging. But the roll (shown below) looks pretty unappetizing.

Funtasticus.com has collected all the images together into an easier-to-view format.

Categories: Advertising, Food
Posted by The Curator on Tue Mar 25, 2008
look at that Krosser burger
goddamm
Posted by eggs-treme  on  Tue Mar 25, 2008  at  12:53 AM
Wow, there's some pretty scary shit there.
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Tue Mar 25, 2008  at  05:01 AM
I'm quite surprised at how many items DID look like the picture on the box. I've never had a ready meal that looked as good as it did on the box, nor as big.
Posted by Nona  on  Tue Mar 25, 2008  at  09:03 AM
Wow -- really shows you the power of good lighting, expert photography, garnishes and, in some cases, out-and-out lying.

I am also surprised by the number of things that look pretty much like the photo on the box. I found myself actually rooting for those manufacturers.
Posted by Kathleen  in  Indiana, USA  on  Tue Mar 25, 2008  at  10:14 AM
I thought about doing this a while back for fast food places. Look at the sandwiches on the menu then order one. They never look the same. I was not sure if the managers would kick me out or not.
Posted by Matt  in  Baltimore  on  Tue Mar 25, 2008  at  12:46 PM
The Knorr products hold up pretty well actually smile
Posted by MadCarlotta  in  Canada  on  Tue Mar 25, 2008  at  03:19 PM
wow.. theres a lot of things in there that reeeeally don't look very appetising when you see the actual product..
Posted by sarahearth  in  New Zealand  on  Tue Mar 25, 2008  at  04:44 PM
This happens to me a lot. I send interested parties appetizing photos of myself, and then when confronted with the real thing in person, they often seem to suffer pre-ingestion indigestion, and run like hell. Maybe I should wear more sesame seeds like in the picture. My buns are pretty stale, tho
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Mar 25, 2008  at  10:12 PM
The one brand I was surprised the most with was Nadler. Those salads were grossly misrepresented.

When I visited Germany, I spent quite a while in more than one grocery store, but I haven't seen half of those products.

I will say, however, Milka chocolate is really good and I even have some in my fridge. It's actually a bit old now that I think of it...I bought more than I needed while I was there!
Posted by Jackie  in  USA  on  Thu Mar 27, 2008  at  04:59 PM
As far my personal opinion, i hate those fake advertisement which really sucks. Seriously when they show in television it would appear as if it has very good quality and quantity but actually when you buy it. You will notice that it is not a real one has telecasted.
Posted by hinduja  on  Mon Jul 14, 2008  at  01:39 AM
Well its a common phenomena you dont usually get what they advertise.Its something which should be taken care of so that we can get what we see
Posted by recipes  in  mumbai  on  Thu Jul 24, 2008  at  12:37 AM
That is why I never by anything based on packaging. The only part of the package I pay attention to is the nutritional facts. Never expect the picture. Ever been to a fast food restaurant? They have glamor shots up on the boards but what you get is flat, lopsided, and lacks the glow that you see in the photos.
Posted by Bowtrol Cleanser  on  Sun Aug 24, 2008  at  04:48 PM