Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
The disumbrationist art hoax, 1924
The Cottingley Fairies, 1917
The Sandpaper Test, 1960
The Great Space Monkey Hoax, 1953
Flirts For Hire
Status: Real
While searching San Diego craigslist for someone willing to clean my hardwood floors twice a month, I stumbled upon a "Flirts for Hire" service:

Is your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife not giving you the attention you deserve? Hire us, we will send someone over to bars, restaurants, clubs to flirt with you in from of them. They will get jealous in a heart beat. No physical contacts involved. No kissing, or any form of sexual activities. Just good clean fun.

I suppose this is a more real-life version of having an imaginary girlfriend. When I did a google search to find out if there were other Flirts for Hire services around the country, I found a 2003 article from news.com.au about a more sinister version of this practice:

Kirri Cleveland... is the 30-year-old going on 13 who is starting a "flirts for hire" operation that sounds like a schoolyard game, but actually is being put up as a legitimate going concern. With any luck, her enterprise - where female "spies" tempt men into being unfaithful and then dob on them - will be a dismal failure. But its very existence is damaging enough with the wedge it is attempting to drive between the sexes...
Professional flirts will be paid to deliberately cause other people grief. At least garden variety adulterers - even if they do ultimately hurt a third party - are not financially rewarded for their misdemeanors. Ms Cleveland denies her service is entrapment. Well, that is a matter of opinion...
Ms Cleveland says it is mainly women who want to engage a "flirt for hire"... She also claims 50 to 60 per cent of men will take the bait.
Categories: Sex/Romance
Posted by The Curator on Wed Sep 28, 2005
"She also claims 50 to 60 per cent of men will take the bait"

I can believe that 50 to 60% of men that have significant others that would use this type of service will take the bait. But luckily only around 30% of men are so f'ed up they would be in a relationship with someone like that.

and Alex, clean your hardwood huh? sure, thats what you were searching for, sure...I have heard that before LOL
Posted by Chuck  in  Rhode Island  on  Wed Sep 28, 2005  at  04:53 PM
You've got a filthy mind, Chuck. mad

Getting my hardwood cleaned means exactly what it says!
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Sep 28, 2005  at  05:18 PM
What is funny, is that it is listed under "therapeutic services"
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Wed Sep 28, 2005  at  05:34 PM
For the same reason (it being listed under "therapeutic services"), I don't believe your side of the story, Alex... wink
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Wed Sep 28, 2005  at  05:35 PM
LOL If only this had been discovered a few months back when I'd been accused of being a jezebel! wink

I could've considered a career change!
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Wed Sep 28, 2005  at  08:35 PM
Receptionist, tai-chi instructor, and professional jezebel. . .with a well-rounded resum
Posted by Accipiter  on  Thu Sep 29, 2005  at  12:23 AM
They
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Thu Sep 29, 2005  at  01:28 AM
I was wondering what would happen if the client proved totally impossible to flirt with. Would they get their money back?
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Sep 29, 2005  at  01:35 AM
Thanks for stumbling our ad. Yes, that is us. We get hired by men and women who wants to make their signifigant other jealous. It is great. We get comments, that after the service, their signifigant other pays more attention to them. So, it works great, and it is all good clean fun.
Posted by Jon Smith  in  San Diego  on  Thu Sep 29, 2005  at  04:37 PM
People would lose teeth doing that for a living. Haha...
Posted by LadyBug  on  Fri Sep 30, 2005  at  09:21 PM
want to hire a flirt
Posted by kelly  in  tampa florida  on  Wed Jul 19, 2006  at  02:38 PM
Hey Kelly, whatcha wearin'? smirk
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Wed Jul 19, 2006  at  03:42 PM
I'm looking for a male between 45 and 55 to meet me at a college location to stop gossiping.
Posted by Sarah Goldstein  in  Western Ma.  on  Mon Jan 14, 2008  at  01:29 PM
I want to hire someone to flirt with my boyfriend to see HE would take the bait!
Posted by lani  in  MA  on  Fri Jun 05, 2009  at  04:44 PM
I need someone to pretend to be a woman who my husband has been flirting with on line. The woman on line is actually me pretending to be someone who has a crush on him. He wants to meet her before he says much more on line. I want them to meet to see if he is just "joking" as he likes to put it, or if he really would cheat if given the opportunity. I think he has cheated in the past and I just need some proof.

He loves golf and this woman plays golf is blond about 5'5 in decent shape.
Posted by sami  in  chandler az  on  Thu Nov 12, 2009  at  01:33 PM