The Great Wall of China Hoax, 1899
The Olympic Underwear Relay, 1956
Mule elected G.O.P. committeeman, 1938
Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
The disumbrationist art hoax, 1924
Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
Find A Gay Neighborhood
A search engine called NeighborhoodScout claims that it will locate the top gay-friendly neighborhoods in any area: "NeighborhoodScout's patent-pending search engine will reveal and richly describe the top gay-friendly neighborhoods in your chosen area and price range." So how exactly does it do this? According to the site:

NeighborhoodScout® applies an exclusive, patent-pending algorithm to measure the similarity of neighborhoods based on customer-specified criteria, such that exact matches to what the customer wants are delivered instantly. This revolutionary approach is applied to the nearly 200 characteristics used to describe each of the more than 61,000 neighborhoods (i.e. census tracts) in America to create blazingly accurate matches, no matter what the customer is looking for in a neighborhood.

So I tested it out for San Diego. Anyone who lives in San Diego knows that Hillcrest would be the most gay-friendly neighborhood in the city. Did NeighborhoodScout pull up Hillcrest? No. It chose La Jolla as the most gay-friendly neighborhood. Well, La Jolla is definitely just about the most expensive area in San Diego, but I don't know about it being the most gay-friendly. I'm curious what criteria the search engine is using to locate gay neighborhoods, or whether it actually just pulls up neighborhoods based on price range.
Categories: Places, Sex/Romance
Posted by The Curator on Wed Mar 16, 2005
Hey, Alex, maybe it just looks for nude beaches (like in La Jolla) and assumes that they're gay.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  03:53 AM
Curses.
I was going to try it for here, but it's USA only.

Ah well.
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  06:36 AM
I ran it for Dallas... it seemed to do a pretty good job. At least it didn't choose any areas that would be patently anti-gay (we have a few of those).
The description at the top of the page seemed to describe what it was looking for: Gay-friendly neighborhoods have a unique combination of educated people living artsy/funky lifestyles.
The areas that it chose generally fit the artsy / educated definition. Whether or not that works as a definition for gay friendly, I don't know...
Posted by Tru  in  Other Words  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  09:20 AM
There are actually gay neighborhoods????? WoW.
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  09:35 AM
They seem to be using a whole bunch of proxies for "gayness" but seem to be missing the most useful bit of public information--Census data. The US Census allowed same sex couples to identify themselves as householder and unmarried partner in 2000.

I have worked with Census data and know which areas in two states have the highest percentages of households with same sex couples. NeighborhoodScout failed to find them but instead found areas that were well educated and a little wealthy. In other words I could do a better job than this thing.

Same sex couples is not quite the same thing as percentage of the population that is gay (because not everyone has spouse/SO) but it is a very good proxy for level of "gayness". For example, college towns often have a lot of gay people who are not necessarily in long-term relationships.
Posted by Floormaster Squeeze  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  10:12 AM
They pretty much pick Manhattan as being entirely gay. And their top choices lie in Midtown, not Chelsea or the Village, so I think they are using an areas cost of living as much more of a barometer than anything else.
Posted by Lothar Ignatius  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  10:39 AM
Blazingly accurate?? Interesting choice of adjectives.... Perhaps they should've said "Flamingly" accurate? cheese
Posted by Silentz  in  general  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  10:51 AM
To correct myself, I look at the site more carefully and they do use Census data but apparently do not see that it should be weighted more highly (as the areas I checked were close to Census but not quite right).
Posted by Floormaster Squeeze  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  10:56 AM
I tried Detroit, and it seemed to just pick the most expensive neighborhoods, and ignored Ferndale, the neighborhood with the largest gay population.
Posted by Sledd  in  Detroit  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  11:54 AM
Nope. I tried it out for Fresno, CA, where I live. At first the site was giving me results for Raleigh, NC (?!?!) When I finally got it to give me results for the right city, it completely ignored the Tower District, which is definitely the closest thing Fresno has to a "gay-friendly neighborhood".
Posted by Kat  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  12:12 PM
Well, I live in 80-89% gay. That's a pretty high gay. My city has a very strong gay potential... not TOO much gay around, though, so it must be a buyer's market for gay.
Posted by brian  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  12:24 PM
Correcting myself again!

This search engine has nothing to do with percentage gay and has everything to do with education data from the Census and the site's "artsy, funky" criteria. The "gay" frontpage is just a front end for a "educated/artsy" specific search in their real estate location engine that DOES NOT USE census data on % of same sex couples at all.
Posted by Floormaster Squeeze  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  12:41 PM
Yes Stephen, there are predominately gay neighborhoods... and not too far from where you live either.
Posted by Tru  in  Other Words  on  Wed Mar 16, 2005  at  05:48 PM
...I tried it for my area (I'm really not sure what areas near me have a high gay population), but it gave me a super expensive area of town...water front houses. Near man-made Davis Island.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu Mar 17, 2005  at  10:27 AM
HAH!
Posted by Gee...  on  Thu Mar 17, 2005  at  04:37 PM
La Jolla as the most gay-friendly area of San Diego? I guess if it is going off the artsyness it would make sense, but by finding the most cultured artsy area of each city they are no doubt going to pick the most expensive areas, as evidenced by the machine chosing La Jolla as gay-friendly. That's pretty stereotyped though. Most of my gay friends aren't into real artsy cultured stuff, they just want to have fun. They would much rather be hanging out in the gay bars in hillcrest.

As to Tucson, it chooses my neighborhood as #1 and all the neighborhoods around it as the next 4. Nice to know I live in a gay-friendly community, but really, isn't that obvious? All the areas it chose are surrounding the University. I was actually surprised it didn't choose the more expensive area of Tucson just due to the areas it's been choosing for other cities, but then again, it's all republicans up there...
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Thu Mar 17, 2005  at  04:43 PM
tried it for arizona. it picked 5 areas right around arizona state university. i doubt the kids there would be the friendliest to gays
Posted by aaron  in  phoenix  on  Thu Mar 17, 2005  at  05:13 PM
Gee said:

"I don't know if any of you are familiar with Mountain Home Idaho? I put that tiny little town in and they gave me "neighborhoods" that are actually vast swatches of empty desert between Mtn Home and Boise...LOL! Very, very gay friendly, those antelope!"

Yes, I am familiar with Mountain Home. In fact, elsewhere on this website there is a photo of me standing in the abandoned drive-in theater on the way into town, wearing a black suit and a Mexican wrestling mask. Seriously.

As for the thirty-five miles of desert between Mountain Home and Boise being "gay-friendly," well, some of those dunes are FABULOUS!

That gas station/Burger King just off I-84? Quite the scene, if you get my meaning. More like a Burger QUEEN! smile
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Mar 17, 2005  at  07:43 PM
Cranky Media Guy:
I guess you know JUST what I mean.
Ever been to the Emerald? Remember Papa's? What about Partner's? What about Veteran's Park men's room?

Posted by Gee...  on  Thu Mar 17, 2005  at  10:47 PM
It's only possible to communicate outside the host template for two more days... then no words will suffice. Preparation would be wise.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Thu Mar 17, 2005  at  11:10 PM
Gee said:

"I guess you know JUST what I mean.

"I do remember that pic...but the dunes are on the ANOTHER side of Mountain Home...not between there and Boise. Prove youself...name me a Dave..."

Actually, I DON'T know what you mean. I just lived in Boise for a while when I was working at a radio station there (J105). I drove to Mountain Home a lot when I'd get bored. That stretch of I-84 between Boise and Mountain Home always fascinated me.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Mar 18, 2005  at  02:51 AM
well crap in the ltitle town i grew up in my neighborhood is ranked best for gays and i didnt know a single one that lived there lol
Posted by Tim  in  texas  on  Wed Mar 23, 2005  at  11:43 PM
I tried it for Allentown, PA (homes 200K-300K) and it matched my neighborhood (and all those surrounding the Malls) as being 80%-89% match, which makes sense given that my neighbors seem friendly enough smile, and most of the other areas it matched are more-or-less "gay friendly" (or at least have lots of gays living in them). It did mark one area that is 100% orthodox Jewish as part of the 80%-89% match, and the roadmaps it uses are at least 10 years out of date, so I'm not surprised to hear that others have found it to be less than stellar as well.

I re-ran it to consider all homes, not just a price range, and the results were slightly better. The Lehigh University campus was picked as a 92% match, which is great except for the fact that more than 90% (by area) of what is highlighted is owned by the University and only students can live there.
Posted by John.  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  01:44 PM
haii
I am kishore.A virgin Gay.I want a person who can really screw my virgin back.But u must participate in a safe inter course and this is a must.Waiting for u.
Posted by kishore_manju  in  Hyderabad & Secunderabad  on  Fri May 13, 2005  at  12:36 AM
held
Posted by pratham jain  in  india rajasthan udaipur  on  Sat Dec 17, 2005  at  01:20 AM
i m pratham. i live in india ilike to do chat
Posted by pratham jain  in  india rajasthan udaipur  on  Sat Dec 17, 2005  at  01:23 AM
over
Posted by pratham jain  in  india rajasthan udaipur  on  Sat Dec 17, 2005  at  01:24 AM
remember
came
Posted by pratham jain  in  india rajasthan udaipur  on  Sat Dec 17, 2005  at  01:25 AM
Hey i want to meet someone that want to do stuff and wants to be a friend or more...
Posted by Caleb Taylor  in  Dayton  on  Thu Jan 26, 2006  at  03:54 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >