The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
The Nazi Air Marker Hoax, 1942
The Crown Prince Regent of Thulia, 1954
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
Burger King's Left-Handed Whopper Hoax, 1998
Fetal Footprint
image I'm late to the party with this image (all the other hoax-related sites have had it up for a couple of weeks), but hey, I was on vacation, and the picture's too good to ignore. Anyway, no one seems to be able to say definitively whether it's real or a fake... or even where it originally came from. It does seem pretty unbelievable that a footprint would be that well defined through the wall of the abdomen. Plus, the foot seems awfully long. And what are those weird bumps in the middle of the foot? But on the other hand, I've heard some women say that this is possible.
Categories: Birth/Babies, Photos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Wed Sep 29, 2004
This photo is real. It's the stomach of my wife's best friend from childhood. The mother's name is Alex G, I can't spell her last name it's Czech. Jak se mate? I don't remember the baby's name. I've never met them. Alex and her husband sent us the picture and we forwarded it on. I'm sure other people that Alex sent the picture to also forwarded it. It is most definitely real. I just found the original image on my computer and I started looking for it online. We thought it was great when the picture made its way back to us with a bunch of other email pictures that get sent around.
Posted by Fred P  in  Palm Springs, CA  on  Fri May 13, 2005  at  07:57 PM
Fred,

This photo is as "fake" as they come... and if your wife is lying to you about her friends then maybe you should wonder about what else she might be fibbing about! If not, then your wifes' friend is one who spinning the yarn and the two of you are just a little gullible. Ask any medical professional, this isn't possible without some SERIOUS problems.

Just a thought...
Posted by Mark-N-Isa  in  Midwest USA  on  Fri May 13, 2005  at  08:52 PM
Sorry, but, you're wrong.
Posted by Fred P  in  Palm Springs, CA  on  Fri May 13, 2005  at  09:47 PM
Some people(Mark-N-Jen) who think they know something don't know shizit! Here's my wife's email to the mother in the "Footprint" photo.

From: Ca*** <********@********.net>
To: Alex K*** <*******@********.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 02:35:37 -0500
Subject: Fwd: Alex and the foot
Hi Ka, Check out this email I received from Fred yesterday. After looking at pictures on your family website we noticed the same picture of the foot started showing up in bulk emails along with other amazing photos. I think you should clear this up... It truly is an amazing photo... Looks
painful though!
Hoping all is well with all of Y'all~
Ca***!

You can bet I will post the proof positive here shortly. We'll see who's gullible and who doesn't know WTF they're talking about!

The Footprint is real.
Posted by Fred P  in  Palm Springs, CA  on  Sun May 15, 2005  at  04:53 AM
As promised, here's the link to the family web site with "The Foot" photo.

The footprint is one of the twins' foot.

As I said, the footprint is real. So much for being gullible.
Posted by Fred P  in  Palm Springs, CA  on  Wed May 18, 2005  at  04:00 AM
Fred P, posting a link to a website which contains this photo doesn't prove anything. I have yet to see a medical profesional (and I have asked many) who believes this photo is even remotely possible. As a mother of four I feel certain it's a well-done fake.
Posted by zenobia13  in  Marietta GA USA  on  Wed Jun 22, 2005  at  01:25 PM
If it's real... my comments are "cool!" and "ouch!"

If it's not... gotta love cgi.

Either way, it's a sweet photo.
Posted by Aubrey G  on  Thu Aug 11, 2005  at  11:02 AM
I think It's real, because I got an email about it, and there was this legal thing at the top....here it is:
Megan Marek
TFL Case Manager

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. If you have received this communication in error, please
do not distribute it. Please notify the sender by phone at
936/756-1800 and destroy the original document. THANK YOU

There you have it!
Posted by tabi  on  Sun Oct 09, 2005  at  12:43 PM
Tabi: Confidentiality notices can be made up. After giving this notice a good look I say this notice and the pic are both fake.
Posted by Dany  in  Waco, Texas  on  Sun Oct 09, 2005  at  01:19 PM
As if!! Totally fake. I have a daughter and we could never tell what was poking out when i was pregnant. cute pic tho
Posted by sophia  in  CA  on  Wed Nov 30, 2005  at  06:05 PM
It's probably real. As someone who had twins, my son's foot in utero would stick out and I would play with his toes.
I have also been a photoshopper for 5 years and have instructed in it. It's great for faking things, but as a photographer, certain shadows and their natural blend into skin cannot be faked and not be obvious.
Posted by anon  on  Thu Apr 06, 2006  at  04:36 PM
I am a mother of two and an aunt of six!...and i believe this is REAL! My first nephew, Cole, I saw his footprint has plain as day, just like this picture. I swear! It was SO weird to me, that i still remember and get freaked out! I had my own son two years later and then another son two years after that...and i NEVER once saw anything like that pushing out of my stomach. I never saw any other of her babies foot like i did his. Take it like you want it, it could be a fake, BUT i saw my nephews foot!(and babies to have long skinny feet) Some women are so skinny and some placentas attach to the back as to leave room in the front of the belly.
Children are blessing from the LORD! We are fearfully and wonderfully made!
Posted by Krista  on  Tue Apr 25, 2006  at  07:17 PM
You wouldn't believe the shock when i looked under a search and came across this poll.I will tell you that the photo of the baby's foot is very real, how do i know this the pregnant women is my daughter, eight months pregnant, her baby was at the time breech and positioned in such a way that when my daughter was sitting the baby would be sittin exactly as she was. My daughter was sitting at her computer desk and was playing with her newly purchased digital camera when she uncovered her belly and snapped a picture. You should of seen the shock on both of our faces when we reviewed the picture. That foot belongs to my first grandchild, since born and she still spreads her toes the same way....
Posted by anglee davis  on  Thu Apr 27, 2006  at  04:01 AM
anglee, can you provide any proof to back up your claim? Other pictures, etc? Or do you still have a hi-res version of the orginal image? I'd be very interested in seeing whatever you have. You can email me directly.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Apr 27, 2006  at  11:19 AM
Anglee, yours in not the first "this is my (daughter's/friend's/sister's) belly" claim that I have come across in researching this so-called photograph. I hope that you will provide Alex with the solid evidence needed to verify what you say. For the time being, this mother of four and former midwifery student is saying "no way". I believe it is a magnificent bit of allegorical ARTwork that was never intended to deceive.
Posted by Barbara  in  Marietta GA USA  on  Thu Apr 27, 2006  at  12:40 PM
If you look up "gullible" in the dictionary, there would be a picture of those who believe the photo-shopped pic of the fetal foot is real. I have had four kids. I can discern what is a foot, elbow, or bottom, but it won't show up that distinct from the outside due to the layers of muscle and fat - even a painfully thing person has SOME fat! And the idiot with the website link to harvison.com or whatever - anyone can link a url to that picture. You have twins - using a fake picture to brag is not necessary. You've birthed two humans at once and lived to tell - accept your glory and leave it at that. Don't lie. As far as the confidentiality notice someone mentioned as proof - anyone who emails from a company email address will have that disclaimer, you moron. I could email you and tell you that Jimmy Hoffa ran off to Neverland with the Easter Bunny in tow, and if I sent it from work, it would have a disclaimer like that. Doesn't make it true, though, right? Wait - I have to remember who I am talking to. I shouldn't start rumors about Hoffa. People like you might believe them.
Posted by Anna  in  Memphis, TN  on  Tue Jun 06, 2006  at  12:54 PM
OH MY GOD, THAT IS DEFINITELY REAL. LET ME TELL YOU HOW I KNOW. I HAVE 4 KIDS. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A VERY THIN WOMAN. MY STOMACH HAS ALWAYS BEEN THINLY STRETCHED. I WOULD LAY ON MY BACK AND I COULD SEE AND FEEL ALL KINDS OF MOVEMENTS AND BODY PARTS. MY STOMACH WOULD BE IN ALL KINDS OF WEIRD SHAPES. MY DOCTOR HAS ALWAYS BEEN AMAZED AT HOW YOU CAN EASILY SEE THE HEEL OF THE FOOT OR THE ELBOW, OR WHEN I LAY DOWN FOR MY ULTRASOUND, ONE OF MY DAUGHTERS WOULD ALWAYS KIND OF GET TO ONE SIDE AND SOMETHING WOULD STICK OUT FAR AND WHEN HE DID THE ULTRASOUND HE WOULD SEE THAT ITS HER BUTT. ANYTIME I WANTED TO SEE AND FEEL MY BABY MOVING, I WOULD GO LIE DOWN. SOMETIMES IT LOOKS AT THOUGH AN UNKNOWN BEING WAS MOVING AROUND IN MY BODY. ANYTHING THAT HAS A POINT ON IT WOULD DEFINITELY SHOW IF I LAY ON MY BACK. EVEN THE KNUCKLES FROM THEIR HANDS OR THE TIP OF THE TOES; YOU CAN SEE AND FEEL IT ALL. SO TO THE WOMAN OR ANYONE ELSE THAT IS GETTING UPSET AND SAYING THAT ITS A LIE AND THAT WE WHO BELIEVE THIS IS REAL ARE GULIBLE, OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T KNOW BETTER. DO YOU SEE HOW YOU CAN END UP LOOKING LIKE A FOOL WHEN YOU SPEAK SO SURELY ABOUT SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS TO. IF YOU PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED IT, THEN JUST SAY THAT. THE WOMAN IN THE PICTURE STOMACH LOOKS THICKER THAN MINE AND THE VISIONS OF MY BABY'S BODY PARTS WERE MUCH MORE VISIBLE. LESSON BE LEARNED; IF THERE ARE ANY SITUATIONS THAT YOU HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED FOR YOURSELF, PLEASE DO RESEARCH BEFORE NOT ONLY STATING YOUR OPINION, BUT ALSO BEFORE YOU CRITISIZE OTHERS THAT OBVIOUSLY KNEW BETTER THAN YOU. THOSE ARE NOT BUMPS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FOOT; THERE IS THE HEEL AT THE BOTTOM AND THOSE "BUMPS" YOU SEE IS THE LITTLE BONE THAT STICKS OUT IF YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE RAISE YOUR BIG TOE. I AM TOO FAMILIAR WITH WHAT A BABY'S FOOT LOOKS LIKE. I HAVE 2 BOYS 9 AND 7 AND 2 GIRLS 5 AND 12 MONTHS. IF I HAD A PICTURE I WOULD SHOW, BUT I WAS ALWAYS ASHAMED OF MY STOMACH BECAUSE OF ALL THE STRETCH MARKS SO I NEVER TOOK PICTURES OF JUST MY STOMACH.
Posted by Emon  in  Houston, TX  on  Tue Jun 06, 2006  at  03:18 PM
After reading more of the responses, i just wanted to add, my water did not break early, my babies were still in the placenta, I did not have them early, i was not high-risk, no pregnancy complications or anything that you all are assuming about the mother in the picture. My babies were 9lb 5oz, 7lb 9oz, 8lb 6oz and 9lb 2ozs. 3 were over due and one came a week before his due date but was still pretty much on time.
Posted by EMON  in  Houston, TX  on  Tue Jun 06, 2006  at  03:26 PM
On more post: The sad thing about this whole situation/debate is that alot of the comments throughout the past 2 years have come from doctors. It's sad because these are the people that we depend on for medical care and when you see/hear doctors speaking as if they know because they have a "degree" we tend to believe it. It's a good thing my personal experience tells me that these "assumptions" are not true. How can doctors not even have a clue that this is possible and even give the "alleged" reasons of why this can't be possible. But I guess doctors are just people, and like the rest of us, they keep on learning. I hope any and all that did not believe, know better now. If I have a fifth child, I will definitely video-tape the movements of my baby.
Posted by EMON  in  Houston, TX  on  Tue Jun 06, 2006  at  04:57 PM
You know to me it is the creativity and the woman's experience that makes this picture real to me...

It does not matter how it came about but rather what the mother acctually feels when going through this amazing time in her and significent other's life...
Posted by Linda  in  United States  on  Tue Apr 24, 2007  at  12:38 AM
Do you have any idea where I can get a good copy of this print? Thanks
Posted by Gwen Graham  in  home  on  Fri May 18, 2007  at  01:00 AM
Real or Fake, it is absolutely beautiful. I can not wait to be pregnant and get to feel and see my baby inside me
Posted by Jes  in  Ohio  on  Fri May 25, 2007  at  12:10 AM
I don't know if the footprint is real, but I do know that in my last month of pregnancy with a 10 pound 8 1/2 oz baby, I could feel at the top of my stomach 2 round mounds and a crease. I mentioned this doctor and asked if this could be the babys bottom. He said he did not think so, but since he was taking measurments he started to feel around. He looked at me with eyes wide and said if he could feel a tad further he could tell me if it were a boy. It was his bottom. This was 37 years ago, before the tests that can now tell you the sex of babies. Two weeks after that appointment we welcomed our second son.
Posted by Karron  in  Washington State  on  Mon Jul 02, 2007  at  01:33 AM
I would agree that it is very likely to be real. I have a tiny stature and when I was pg with my daughter you could see the oultine of her EAR!! As well as a handprint. I could count the fingers. I had almost NO ammniotic fluid and my dr said this is why you could tell the different body parts so easily!!!
Posted by Cassie  in  Wa.  on  Thu Sep 20, 2007  at  04:28 PM
I've talked to alot of people who think it IS real! Most of them have never been pregnant. But there's NO WAY it's real. Wish an OBGYN would comment.
Posted by Daina  in  Texas  on  Wed Sep 26, 2007  at  06:35 PM
Hi, this photo is a picture my mom's friend happends to also have on Facebook and says it is her when she was pregnant with her now 7 year old daughter...I am pregnant myself and when I saw this picture I took it to my doctor because I did not believe this was possible and my doctor confirmed that it is definitely impossible for the foot to be seen so clearly showing the toes and all...so this picture is definitely a fake. Just thought I'd let everyone know.
Posted by Melissa  on  Wed Dec 05, 2007  at  11:50 PM
Another thing I wanted to mention is I have notcied in some comments that people have said that this belly belongs to a woman named Alex so whoever posted that they are the pregnant woman's mom I don't know if that's who this is but as I said before my mom's friend claims this is her stomach and her name is Tracey and she only has one child which would be the one in this photo who is a girl born about 6-7 years ago...I am 9 months pregnant with my 1st child and I am all baby and I have never seen this...my doctor says this is definitely not a real photo and that it is fake but I have heard a few people say it is possible...so I think it's something that might be possible because I am sure that not everyone who says this has happened is making it up...but it is definitely something I would have to see happen right infront of me to believe this...thank you
Posted by Melissa  on  Thu Dec 06, 2007  at  12:14 AM
ok. lets suppose that all of you all are wrong and this is really true how would you guys feel.yes it's kinda strange but trust me, in the caribbean i've seen stranger stuff that this.this could be true as well as false, so dont go around saying that the woman is lying and you dont really know the truth.dont judge.you guys dont really know for a fact if thats a real foot print.leave it to the lord.strange things are happening today that doctors cant even detect.doctors never want to be wrong.i dont blame you doctors but you all always think you right.professional photographer,gyneacologist, doctor or whoever it may be, we dont know for a fact if this is true or not SO STOP JUDGING YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!
Posted by all the way from the caribbean  in  grenada  on  Tue Jan 01, 2008  at  09:47 AM
This is all about opinions, since no one has provided us with any facts. My opinion (a pretty persuasive one, as a former midwifery student, mother of four, grandmother of three) is that this photo is a good (not perfect) fake, and that physiology simply doesn't work this way. Neither do light and shadows. I will continue to judge and profess my belief that anyone who claims this is "me" or "my daughter" or "my friend" or "my wife" or or "my patient" or "a space alien I met" or ANYTHING ELSE had better by willing and able to BACK IT UP with something more than empty internet claims. Even on this low-activity forum there are half a dozen conflicting claims, so they can't ALL be true. In my (humble) opinion, NONE of them is.
Posted by bzb  in  Marietta, GA, USA  on  Tue Jan 01, 2008  at  11:25 AM
i think that it's a wonderful thing. i am 7 months pregnant and i wouldn't know what to do if i seen cameron's (my baby boy) foot through my stomach.
Posted by allison parris  in  tennessee  on  Wed Jan 02, 2008  at  10:56 AM
Comments: Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >