Man flies by own lung power, 1934
Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
The Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, 1959
The Great Space Monkey Hoax, 1953
Fantastic Eggs
Status: Real
Alejandro from Colombia sent in these pictures that are circulating via email with the subject "Huevos Fantasticos" (or "Fantastic Eggs" in English). He asks, "Are these things real?" Well, I'm pretty sure they are real. I think they're examples of carved ostrich eggs. Do a google image search for "carved ostrich egg" and you'll come up with plenty of other examples. However, I don't know who the artist is responsible for these specific carvings.

image image image image
image image image
Categories: Art
Posted by The Curator on Wed Dec 28, 2005
WHOOO FIRST COMMENT. The second pic loks like a face at first. Pretty cool. I like the first egg the best..
Posted by davetolomy  on  Wed Dec 28, 2005  at  05:22 PM
Beautiful ... I do not believe I have enough patience to try.
It is not that uncommon ... it has been around for many years as a form of art.

Some additional nice examples:

SCM Micro Sandblaster Gallery

From HGTV
Filigree Eggs

Egg Art

More Egg Art

Best Wishes.
Posted by The Legend  in  Las Vegas, Nevada - U.S.A.  on  Wed Dec 28, 2005  at  08:35 PM
In the late 80's and early 90's, I lived in Phillipsburg, NJ. I don't know if they still hold it, but they used to have an annual carved egg event called the Eggstravangaza at the local armory. It consisted of many examples of exactly this kind of thing.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Dec 28, 2005  at  08:59 PM
Alejandro-
Yes, they're real. And they're FANTASTICO.
Posted by booch  on  Thu Dec 29, 2005  at  10:26 AM
Alex: Thanks for posting the pictures and once more mentioning me. Secondly, Ostrich eggs are the hardest eggs that exist, and yeah...what a work of patience....
Posted by ALEJANDRO  in  COLOMBIA  on  Thu Dec 29, 2005  at  11:53 AM
My mother used to have an African art shop, and she still owns several of these kinds of ostrich eggs. You would be suprised at how strong those things are.
Posted by Lady Hedoniste  in  Chilling with 14 other tiny people in your head.  on  Mon Jan 02, 2006  at  05:16 PM
Yes, beautiful work, and without powertolls very time consuming.

There are local Maori artists who have taken both ostrich and emu eggs as a medium for traditional artwork here . . .The emu eggs make more spectacular carvings, as the blue/green colour on the outside of the shell grades in shade as to the depth, so varying the carving level gives shades of coulour to the work.
Posted by DFStuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Tue Jan 03, 2006  at  11:42 PM
Hi, am new to this site. I like the carved eggs I too carve eggs.
Posted by zupermarlon  on  Wed Jul 25, 2007  at  04:12 PM
Here are a few of my egg carvings- I am one of the greatest egg carvers in the world. Okay, maybe not yet but I will be LOL!

The horse was my second attempt at this skill and nobody believed I carved it till I brought the egg to work =)

I plan on creating a website to sell my egg creations and also take requests of whatever people what carved on an egg as a gift or for themselves... let me know what you guys think? My email is gmail: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Posted by zupermarlon  on  Wed Jul 25, 2007  at  04:17 PM
Just a quick note to let you all know that those eggs were hand-carved by a friend of mine named Al Gunther. I featured him and his work in my magazine, The Eggshell Sculptor, nine years ago or so. Most of us use high-speed air tools spinning at around 400,000 rpm's and powered by air compressors.
For detailed information about this unique art, just visit my website, where you'll find free downloads and a ton of free information. And if you want to learn this art, I can help you do so as I have hundreds before you. Thanks for allowing me to post and to clarify Al's situation. Since those photos are all copyrighted, Al Gunther's name should be posted with them.
Posted by Gary LeMaster  in  Iowa City, Iowa  on  Tue Sep 11, 2007  at  03:22 AM