The Lovely Feejee Mermaid, 1842
Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
The Nobody For President Campaign, 1940 to Present
Script of Casablanca rejected, 1982
Iceberg floats into Sydney Harbor, 1978
The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
Face of God in Ceiling
image Memphis church-goers claim that the face of God has appeared in the ceiling of their church. The story of the image's first appearance is quite dramatic:
Pastor Reginald Lowery of Miracle Crusade Bible Church Holiness said it all started one Friday night at his church, located near 6th and Looney. "I was preaching on 'God Knows Where We Are,' and all of a sudden a big bang hit the church," he said. With that, Lowery said, alarms all over the neighborhood started going off, including those at the church. Then, according to the pastor, something else happened. "The lights on the inside went to solid gold," he said. It was then that Lowery's daughter first saw it: The face of God on the church's ceiling.
The catch is that you can only see the image while looking through a camera -- apparently a cellphone camera works best. (God works in mysterious ways.) The bottom thumbnail shows the face through a cellphone camera, and it is actually easier to see what they're talking about that way. The higher contrast accentuates the pattern.

The wmctv article notes that "skeptics may claim the face is simply a reflection from a light hanging from the church's ceiling." I actually think it looks like the face of a giant cat. (via Fortean News)

Update: The same news channel also has a story about the face of Jesus in a tree outside a Memphis church (a two-for-one pareidolia feature). I added this to my list of faces in trees in the hoaxipedia.
Categories: Pareidolia, Religion
Posted by The Curator on Thu Jun 21, 2007
I just do see God in that image... a blurry vision of the Virgin Mary, maybe, but DEFINITELY NOT God!
Posted by Christopher  in  Joplin, Missouri  on  Thu Jun 21, 2007  at  09:22 AM
Definitely a huge pussy cat - unless it's a very odd church that thinks God is a giant pussy cat, I don't think it's the face of God. And how would you know, anyhow? What would you compare it to? It's not as if there's a photo somewhere that you look at, then back at the ceiling, then back at the photo....
Posted by Nona  in  London  on  Thu Jun 21, 2007  at  09:47 AM
I normally can at least tell what people are on about with these face-of pictures, but this time! I cant even see the car.
Posted by AussieBruce  on  Thu Jun 21, 2007  at  10:36 AM
Does it seem odd to anyone else that God would be so preoccupied with looking at His worshipers that He hit His head so hard on the ceiling as to set off neighborhood alarms and leave an imprint of His face?

It think it is really God's cat. I've seen my cat do that kind of thing and the image does look a bit like a kitty. grin
Posted by John  in  Detroit, MI  on  Thu Jun 21, 2007  at  12:30 PM
Obviously everyone is right. It is a cat, but it's also the face of a god - just not the Christian god.

I think this is a sign that Bast is about to make a BIG comeback. Be sure to pet your kitty tonight.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Thu Jun 21, 2007  at  12:31 PM
In the first place, I don't see anybody or anybody's face -- not of God or a cat...or Elvis.

Second, I can kind of cope with the idea of people being convinced a mysterious face is Jesus or Mary -- yeah, we don't really know what they look like, but at least we are fairly sure they looked human.

But God? They know what He looks like in person (so to speak)? Gosh. I guess I'm not doing the right kind of praying...

It does look a bit like a burning bush, though. More than it does a face, anyway.
Posted by Kathleen  in  Indiana, USA  on  Thu Jun 21, 2007  at  01:24 PM
Man was made in God's image. I'm a man. Therefore God looks like me.

Poor Guy, no wonder He never got any chicks.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Thu Jun 21, 2007  at  01:29 PM
I can't see a thing. I don't see anything that even remotely resembles a face

Maybe it's like those 3D pictures where you cross your eyes and sudden see the Statue of Liberty, I can never see those either. =(
Posted by Josh  in  Texas  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  12:13 AM
Face? What face? it's clearly just light reflection. Why don't they turn off the hanging light and then take the picture. See if anything shows up then. Bet it doesn't.
Posted by Logic  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  07:53 AM
Anybody else catch the address of this church? "...near 6th and Looney"? In the Bible, six, (or any reference to the number 6) is the number of man! Translated, "this man (6th) is a lunatic (Looney)."
Posted by Christopher  in  Joplin, Missouri  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  10:14 AM
I sure don't see anything that's even remotely like a face. I see a shape that looks vaguely like a giant luna moth, though. Do I at least get credit for that much?

(luna moth image courtesy of wmnh.com)
Posted by Accipiter  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  11:51 AM
I don't see God. I do, however, see a grilled cheese sandwich, a potato chip, and Elvis eating a kiwi. Look close: the kiwi is right next to the sandwich.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  03:10 PM
i think god wont let us 2 c his face on de earth.....unless v reach heaven.......dats wad i think, may god bless us......
Posted by person who loves god  in  malaysia  on  Tue Oct 02, 2007  at  02:01 PM