'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
Dog wins art contest, 1974
Burger King's Left-Handed Whopper Hoax, 1998
Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
The Gallery of Fake Viral Images
The Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, 1959
What do the lines on Solo cups mean?
Face of Christ in Painting
image I received this email yesterday from an artist requesting my opinion. Feel free to leave your own opinion in the comments:

Being an artist, in August of 1996 I painted a picture.
It was supposed to be a simple picture of a large cross on a white background.
The picture is 24 x 30. The two axis of the cross are 11.5 inches wide.
Roughly 28 x 22.5. The cross was made by taking a pallet of mixed colors of paint and with one vertical and one horizontal swipe nothing more.

When the paint dried you could "I would say" clearly see the face of Christ on the cross. I was so afraid I put the picture away and in the last 8 years have only showed it to several of my friends. Please give me your honest input on what you see in and think about my picture.
You can either call or email me back.

This is no joke.

Warmest Regards,
DiMarcia (Dee) Ancrum

(Click on the image to enlarge it. I had to trim it down significantly because the image file was huge... 3.3MB)
Categories: Art, Religion
Posted by The Curator on Mon Jan 17, 2005
where's the face supposed to be?
Posted by Jacob  on  Mon Jan 17, 2005  at  07:52 PM
quote: I make a good grilled cheese sandwich, though.

Make a grilled cheese sandwich, paint Jesus on it and get it haunted... put it on ebay.

PS. I expect a cut of your new found wealth.
Posted by Peter  on  Mon Jan 17, 2005  at  07:53 PM
>>>I'd say it's The Evil Emperor<<<

You mean Bush?

I'm going to have to officially declare DiMarcia (Dee) Ancrum to be a lying huckster and a talentless dumbass, I'm afraid.

Thanks for playing, DiMarcia (Dee) Ancrum.
Posted by Barghest  on  Mon Jan 17, 2005  at  10:59 PM
Imagine for a moment reading a newspaper story about a primitive tribe on some far-flung island who decided that they could "see" an image of their local god in the bark of a tree. You'd probably think something along the lines of, "Golly, those unsophisticated, non-technolgical people are amusing with their wacky superstitions!"

Um, exactly how do these "apparitions" of Jesus differ substantially from something like that? It's sad to me that some people seem to need nonsense like this to make their lives meaningful.

I used to see an image of a "ray gun" in the random pattern of the faux-marble floor in my bathroom when I was a kid. The difference is, I knew it was just a random pattern into which I was reading something and I didn't think it was a "sign" of anything. Time to grow up, people.
Posted by crankymediaguy  on  Mon Jan 17, 2005  at  11:55 PM
In the painting you could, "I would say" clearly see an slightly sad, off colour, elongated face of our saviour, Ronald MacDonald. His jaw and mouth in the middle and his funky hairdo at the top. See?
Posted by kingjiblo  in  Beijing  on  Tue Jan 18, 2005  at  01:43 AM
I see the face of George Bush in there. Nearly as good as Jesus, to hear some folks tell it.
Posted by cvirtue  on  Tue Jan 18, 2005  at  10:06 AM
crankymediaguy, you're a little defensive, seeing as how no one here has marveled at what a miracle this is. These people claiming to actually be seeing Jesus everywhere are as idiotic as your pretend tribe. My grandmother's bathroom has this weird, red, velvet wallpaper. When I was little, the pattern sort of looked like an army of mice marching up the wall. If I nodded my head while blinking, it made that little army march right up into the ceiling. Did I think it was a miracle? Not in the least. And, from the looks of these posts, no one here is thinking the Jesus-seers (sp?) are any less stupid than your pretend tribe in some far-flung place.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Tue Jan 18, 2005  at  10:39 AM
Church of The Melted Crayons
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Jan 18, 2005  at  11:36 AM
lo siento, no veo ni m
Posted by angelo  in  mexico  on  Tue Jan 18, 2005  at  12:50 PM
Why is it that any time a face shows up in an object, it's either Jesus or Mary? Why can't it be Chuck from the Deli? Or Anne the neighborhood busdriver?
Posted by Silentz  in  general  on  Tue Jan 18, 2005  at  01:24 PM
Anne Drived for Our Sins
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Jan 18, 2005  at  01:28 PM
pepe nero is right, the top 1/3 of the vertical swipe looks completely doctored. The strokes are not consistent with the rest of the painting, and the colors are much more vibrant than the rest. Is this where the artist sees the alleged image of Jesus? If so, I would put money down that this section of the painting was Photoshopped (maybe a little usage of the smudge tool and adjustments to the color balance/saturation?) to the point where some such image could be "seen".

I can't see anything in the painting; just bad abstractionism.
Posted by Sarah  in  Dallas  on  Tue Jan 18, 2005  at  05:50 PM
I can see why it scared him...every time I see a cloud that looks like a sheep I'm terrified.
Posted by Gee...  on  Tue Jan 18, 2005  at  06:35 PM
Jeez... I'm seeing a skeleton for some reason, not Christ! o_O''
Posted by Mewtaila  on  Tue Jan 18, 2005  at  09:15 PM
Good Outer Limits alien or maybe a new Night Gallery painting.
Posted by CptKeough  in  SyracuseNY  on  Tue Jan 18, 2005  at  11:28 PM
Yeah, that's from the Night Gallery "Trinity of Terror" episode starring Karen Black Mass. That's the one where the little Dashboard Jesus figure comes alive and chases her around. That one creeped me out.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Jan 18, 2005  at  11:56 PM
Sarah, please the artist's description of how the painting was made, as well as my previous post. This painting has not been doctored!
Posted by Katey  on  Wed Jan 19, 2005  at  12:21 AM
When I put the image into photoshop and do an inverse color thing followed by pumping up the blue saturation, then a 0.96 gaussian blur, washing it out by increasing the brightness and increasing the contrast just a tad, I definitely see a very clear image of Ronald Reagan fornicating with the whore of Babylon. Ol' Ron doesn't apppear to be enjoying himself very much, though.

I'd upload my enhancements to Alex, but the beer appears to be working way to well at the moment. Damn. I need a knew eyboard.
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  earth, 3rd planet, sol system  on  Wed Jan 19, 2005  at  01:41 AM
Ummm, hmmm, let's see, is it, sort of, around about...actually, nope. nothing. I see no face. Perhaps it's one of those Magic Eye paintings and you have to do wierd things with your eyes to actually see it.
Posted by Nettie  on  Wed Jan 19, 2005  at  09:02 AM
I don't see it, but what is more interesting is that anyone would paint such a travesty in the first place smile
Posted by Oxylon  in  Seattle  on  Fri Jan 21, 2005  at  03:36 PM
grin
It's Me. DiMarcia and I must say the responses are exactly what I expected.
First I
Posted by DiMarcia Ancrum  in  Columbia SC  on  Sat Jan 22, 2005  at  07:23 AM
It's me again.
Because this is not an attempt at deception it can't be classified as a hoax.
If you don't see it fine, if you see something other than what everyone else see, still fine.

As for my other artwork, I donate to non-profits fund-raiser to raise money and I only sale to close friends and family.
Posted by DiMarcia Ancrum  in  Columbia SC  on  Sat Jan 22, 2005  at  08:14 AM
Could you please tell me what medication you take. I would like to get some.
Posted by Nan  on  Sun Jan 23, 2005  at  03:53 AM
DiMarcia Ancrum said:

"Because this is not an attempt at deception it can't be classified as a hoax.
So call it anything you like, stupid, strange, nothing at all but you can't call it a hoax."

Um, I think the people who have used the word "hoax" to refer to your painting are implying that you DID attempt to deceive. Maybe you didn't, but that's the reason people would use that word to describe something. This IS the Museum of Hoaxes website, after all. Besides, wouldn't a hoaxer deny being a hoaxer?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Jan 23, 2005  at  08:24 AM
Oh, something else... I just noticed that Alex says that you submitted the picture of your painting to him for his opinion. So, you submitted your work to the Museum of Hoaxes website and you're surprised that people think that you're engaging in deception? What did you expect them to think, given the venue?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Jan 23, 2005  at  08:27 AM
Cranky Media Guy, You've got a point there. I guess I figured since I knew it wasn't a hoax that the best way to have it validated was to have those that are most savvy in this and objective provide their opinion.
I would like to think myself pretty level headed when it come to being objective and I guess I expected the same of others.
Posted by DiMarcia Ancrum  in  Columbia SC  on  Tue Jan 25, 2005  at  09:47 AM
I see a VERY ugly looking and evil face on the top left, and if I squint and stare a while I see a mild-mannered looking male face in the middle. But it's just simulacra, the phenomena of the brain picking structure out of chaos. However, the one on the top left is VERY visible. It almost looks purposefully. Pretty cool in it's own right.
Posted by GJ  in  GA, USA  on  Sat Feb 12, 2005  at  09:21 AM
wink The power of suggestion should never be taken lightly, but I personally see nothing. I think this would be akin to finding dragon and turtle shapes in the clouds then a religious experience.
Posted by Papazombie  in  Edmonton  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  08:25 PM
I like to invite you to visit my site of arts, there you can see same of my works and biographie, same of the works are for sell , if you are interested please send a mail , I hopew you like it! my style it is very particular, expressionism sudamericane
Posted by hebe beatriz alioto  in  Buenos aires, ARGENTINA  on  Fri Apr 22, 2005  at  11:26 AM
I like to invite you to visit my site of arts, my style is it very particular, expressionism sudamericane, same of the painting are for sell , I hope you like it!!
Posted by hebe beatriz alioto  in  Buenos aires, ARGENTINA  on  Fri Apr 22, 2005  at  11:29 AM
Comments: Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >