Princess Caraboo, servant girl who became a princess, 1817
BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
Burger King's Left-Handed Whopper Hoax, 1998
Life discovered on the moon, 1835
Prankster causes volcano to erupt, 1974
Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
Does Email Cause IQ Loss?
A widely reported story last week stated that a study conducted by Hewlett Packard found that "Workers distracted by email and phone calls suffer a fall in IQ more than twice that found in marijuana smokers." Sounded like bad news for people like myself who are constantly checking email. But Mind Hacks has examined the study a little more closely and found its results aren't all they're cracked up to be. What the test actually found is that people do worse on IQ tests if they're simultaneously trying to answer email and phone calls. Which isn't surprising. But this 'IQ loss' only lasts for as long as the distractions last. In other words, you're not really losing any intelligence. Reading email simply stopped people from focusing on the test.
Categories: Psychology, Technology
Posted by The Curator on Thu Apr 28, 2005
Great! Now we know people are more distracted when they're, uh, distracted.

Good to know somewhere out there people do researches to confirm these things that NO ONE questions.
Posted by Tom  on  Thu Apr 28, 2005  at  02:50 AM
Oh yes, possibly more pointless than the 'biscuit breakage' research.
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Thu Apr 28, 2005  at  06:54 AM
I know that I get distracted when I have MOH up. I have to turnaround 4 claims in 60 minutes, when I'm checking on MOH, it drops to 2 clms in 60 minutes. If I can close the page, I can get my #s up to 6 in 60.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu Apr 28, 2005  at  06:56 AM
I think it is necessary to say that - oops, wait a minute, I just got an e-mail...
Posted by Wally  in  La La Land  on  Thu Apr 28, 2005  at  05:51 PM
Whew...I was worried for a minute there, all I do is smoke weed and check my email......
Posted by Jimmy  on  Thu Apr 28, 2005  at  10:22 PM
I'm glad that they offically proved that when you're distracted, you have a difficult time doing things.
Glad that they spend time researching these things
Posted by Diana  in  WI - USA  on  Mon May 02, 2005  at  12:51 AM