The Hitler Diary Hoax, 1983
The Stone-Age Tasaday Hoax, 1971
Adolf Hitler Baby Photo Hoax, 1933
Jennifer Love Hewitt's Disappearing Breasts
Burger King's Left-Handed Whopper Hoax, 1998
Boy floats away in balloon, 2009
Baby Yoga, aka Swinging Your Kid Around Your Head
The worms inside your face
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
Did Paul McCartney die on Nov. 9, 1966?
Do Baseball Players Pee on Their Hands?
Given that I've posted periodically about various forms of urine therapy, I was intrigued to come across this slate.com article alleging that many professional baseball players regularly pee on their hands in the belief that the urine will toughen their skin:

"In a recent interview with ESPN's Gary Miller, Chicago Cubs outfielder Moises Alou revealed that during baseball season he urinates on his hands to toughen them up. Alou, one of the few major leaguers who doesn't wear gloves while batting, is backed up by Yankees catcher Jorge Posada, who says, "You don't want to shake my hand during spring training." Even Cubs hurler Kerry Wood mentioned on a local radio show that he's tried the technique to remedy blisters on his pitching hand."

The article goes on to argue that urine probably would work well to soften your skin since urea is an ingredient in many commercial moisturizing lotions, but it's very doubtful that it will do anything to toughen up the skin. Slate.com figures that this hand-peeing fad is just another one of the many superstitions that baseball players get hooked on to try to improve their game.
Categories: Sports
Posted by The Curator on Mon Apr 04, 2005
There is one good reason to never shake a baseball player's hand. Yuck!
Posted by Myst  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  02:46 AM
Yalie: At Yale we learn to wash our hands after peeing.

Harvard Man: At Harvard we learn not to pee on our hands.
Posted by andychrist  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  03:20 AM
That's what a lot of the cowboys back home do when they get a cut while they're out, in order to (lol) "sanitize" the wound.
Posted by Winona  in  USA  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  03:29 AM
Winona, where IS "back home"? Just curious.
Just general, no need for specifics. Well, a little more specific than "Earth", or "Mars".

I know it's a belief around here (with the old-timers, anyway) that urinating on a cut seals it and prevents infection.

I haven't read Alex's links above yet, because it's kind of a slow night (heh heh).

I do know, however, without any looking around, that fresh urine is sterile (unless you have a bladder infection), and washing out a cut is generally a good idea. Kinda nasty when you pee on yourself, but hey, piss happens. I, myself, would prefer to leave the cut alone than pee on it.

As for toughening the skin, wouldn't it just be easier to rub your hands with sandpaper once in a while? Not to mention less smelly, esp. if you like asparagus smile .

And, from what I have read, peeing on your feet is supposed to help cure athlete's foot, but I've never had it, so I've never tried. And it's not like I'm gonna go asking peole if it works...
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  04:16 AM
You're meant to pee on jellyfish stings, aren't you?
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  05:28 AM
>>You're meant to pee on jellyfish stings, aren't you?

I think so; offhand, Jellyfish venom is acidic and piss is alkaline, so it balances the pH and reduces the pain.

Er, I think.... not intended on trying this out, myself....
Posted by aw  in  Glasgow  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  06:50 AM
I seem to remember some singer (possibly Natalie Imbruglia? Kerys from Catatonia?) shot a video where she was rolling around on a beach. In an interview she said that she'd been stung and everybody else refused to pee on it, so she had to do it herself.

Personally, I'm not sure whether peeing on it myself would be better or worse than having someone else do it for me.

gulp
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  07:15 AM
It happened on an episode of Friends...GO JOEY!
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  10:21 AM
Your supposed to pour Vinegar on JF stings. You then piss on the JF that stung you. Get it right people!
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  10:28 AM
Rod: I'm originally from western Canada. smile
Posted by Winona  in  USA  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  11:05 AM
This link is to a study that Susan Scott is doing in Hawaii, which basically says that people need to stop peeing on themselves when they get a jellyfish sting. It doesn't do any good.

Posted by Nymph  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  12:06 PM
THATS pretty damned Funny....Thanks Nymph!
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  12:30 PM
Winona... I come from "The land of Living Skies", according to my licence plate. This translates to Saskatchewan.

All I can say is that it was damned good to see that chinook about a month ago. I hate spring.

According to "The SAS Survival Handbook"...
WARNING
URINE AND SEA WATER
Never drink either - Never! But both can produe drinking water if distilled
(Page 42)

It fails, however to give a reason for not drinking urine, but I seem to recall that it actually has to do with what you have been eating and drinking lately, and the actual level of water in your body already.

Not drinking saltwater, however should just be common sense. SHOULD. But like I say, common sense isn't.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  01:42 PM
Rod, I'm from BC, but am now in the midwest us.

I miss mountains. :( Though the prarie does have its own draws...

You know... I think if my pee tasted like strawberries I still wouldn't even try it. I think I just have a way big contamination reflex.
Posted by Winona  in  USA  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  02:02 PM
The rockies... Not too long ago I lived where I could see them every day. Now the biggest hill around is, well, still pretty flat looking.

You'd have to hold me down to get me to try it.

As my dad always says, "It's better to be pissed off than pissed on. Unless you're into that."
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  02:14 PM
@Rod

(again offhand)

Urine contains urea, which is used to transport ammonia out of the body (urea as a compound is a bit less poisonous than ammonia) in particular, plus other waster stuff. So drinking it would simply be retaking all the toxins that urinating is suppossed to remove.
Posted by aw  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  02:40 PM
While in vet school, I once had my hands doused in particularly strong dog urine. It burned like hell. I've had the same results from washing my hands several hundred times a day and not using enough lotion. Not sure if my hands are "tougher" or not...

I don't know the normal pH of human urine, but I'd guess it's on the acidic side (dogs/cats are usually slightly acidic, cows more basic). Couldn't you just use lemon juice???
Posted by hippievet  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  03:19 PM
Put lemon juice on your HANDS?

hmmm

YUCK!

LOL
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  03:28 PM
tongue wink

No citrus fruits were harmed in the posting of this comment...
Posted by hippievet  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  05:21 PM
Hey, Pierre, you got a firm handshake, but soft palms... What do you use, some French skin softener? "Oui..." Say, what? "Oui- dat is what I use" You use wee? "Non- Oui, that is what I use". Homina homina homina... could we just wave next time? "Oui". not on me, mon ami
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  07:11 PM
"Jellyfish venom is acidic and piss is alkaline, so it balances the pH and reduces the pain."

Uh, no, urine is normally acidic (unless you have a bladder infection or kidney disorder), which is what accounts for any disinfectant properties it has. I don't know the pH of jellyfish venom.

However, I understand the preferred treatment for jellyfish or coral stings is to soak the affected part in very warm water (as hot as you can get it without scalding the skin or causing pain). The heat breaks down the organic toxin that causes the irritation.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  07:26 PM
I have frequently heard that washing with urine can soften skin, but never that it can toughen or thicken skin (the former and the latter are not mutually exclusive).
I'm not about to try this for myself. If you want to give it a whiz, let me know how it works.

Come to think of it, babies pee on themselves all the time, and most of them have pretty soft skin. ...
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  07:30 PM
Attacked by a jellyfish? Apply peanut butter. Gnawed by a tuna? Rub on some mayonaise. The real fun at the beach is the sand which is there, isn't it? Sure it is
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Apr 04, 2005  at  07:48 PM
Big Gary, I think I have heard the same thing you have...

Butts are usually damp feeling, unless their diapers have been off for a while. I tried this last night to keep baby girl from getting diaper rash. She peed on the carpet & then splashed in it. I really think it's time to potty train. She can splash in there all she wants.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Tue Apr 05, 2005  at  10:07 AM
I'd whizz on YOUR hands AND FEET EVERY DAY if I could hit .350 in the bigs, and you can take that to the bank, baby...
Posted by booch  on  Thu Apr 07, 2005  at  08:07 PM
Hmmm...all I know is that in ancient Rome, they used to piss in their laundrey...
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Thu Apr 07, 2005  at  08:56 PM
OH! my GOD what a bad habbit. uff pee on hands? than what is the difference between an animal and human being by doing such kind of activities.?
Posted by softball DVD's  on  Wed Sep 29, 2010  at  02:40 AM