Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
Lord Gordon-Gordon, robber of the robber barons, 1871
The Instant Color TV Hoax, 1962
Did Paul McCartney die on Nov. 9, 1966?
Adolf Hitler Baby Photo Hoax, 1933
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
Brief History of Triple-Decker Buses
Boy floats away in balloon, 2009
The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
Monkeys pick cotton, a 19th-century urban legend
Cursed By Allah
There was an interesting post on alt.folklore.urban discussing several examples of Muslim hoaxes alleging there have been people who were recently cursed by Allah, for one reason or another, and transformed into bizarre animals.

For instance, Arabic newspapers ran one story about a girl who threw the Quran at her mother and was transformed into a large, rat-like creature. (The story became a popular video as well.) An image (below) accompanied the story, showing what the girl had become.

In reality, the image of the rat-like creature was lifted from an art exhibit titled "Leather Landscape" by Patricia Piccinini. Piccinini posted a statement online disavowing any knowledge of how the 'cursed' story originated and expressing sympathy for anyone disturbed by it.

Leather Landscape by Patricia Piccinini

Piccinini's statement disavowing the hoax

A second story circulating in Arabic-language communities (via a youtube video) details the case of a girl who kicked the Quran and was transformed into an ugly mermaid-like creature. In reality, the creature shown is a guitar fish.

If the punishment for kicking or throwing the Quran is to be transformed into an animal, then what's the punishment for making bizarre stuff up to scare people?
Categories: Religion
Posted by The Curator on Wed Aug 27, 2008
"... then what's the punishment for making bizarre stuff up to scare people?"

Good question. You know, there's actually no prohibition in the Quran of throwing the book itself (not that I'm advocating throwing books), whereas lying IS prohibited.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Palestine, Texas  on  Wed Aug 27, 2008  at  06:54 PM
I want to be transformed into a weird animal! Someone, give me a Quran.
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Wed Aug 27, 2008  at  07:38 PM
what's the punishment for making bizarre stuff up to scare people?

Becoming a religion?

J/P=?
Posted by John Paradox  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Wed Aug 27, 2008  at  08:11 PM
It's always terrific fun to deal with the "anything that I do, no matter how ghastly and depraved, is totally justified if I do it in the name of God" people. They're a plague to the non-religious, and they are also an embarrassment to those religious people (who are the vast majority) who actually bother to develop a sense of morality.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Wed Aug 27, 2008  at  10:22 PM
Ummmm . . . Is it bad that I actually rather like the look of the rat-girl? She kinda looks cute. . .

And after all, to get to the main poitn of the articel, is this any stranger than some of the more bizzarre claims of the eco-warriors, like the idea that DDT causes cancer and human diseases?
Posted by DFStuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Wed Aug 27, 2008  at  11:31 PM
I think the rat person is cute too. But then again, I also think actual rats are cute, they're my favorite animals.
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Thu Aug 28, 2008  at  12:37 AM
Oh, yeah. Transmogrification as a concept in the hands of primitive religious zealots. That's a belief that sends shivers down my spine.
Posted by KDP  in  Madill, OK  on  Thu Aug 28, 2008  at  11:40 AM
Intrigued, I found a Quran for my own testing purposes and kicked it up and down my hallway.
Nothing happened.
Not a thing.
I love research.
Posted by Lee  on  Thu Aug 28, 2008  at  11:39 PM
Ermm.. Im starting to grow fins...
O.o
Posted by Lee  on  Fri Aug 29, 2008  at  04:54 AM
as a Muslim, I agree that lying IS prohibited, and that these people who did such hoaxes to scare another Muslim (or other people) should be punished
Posted by Musaspot  in  Malaysia  on  Sat Sep 06, 2008  at  08:18 PM
well.. the purpose of each of these stories is for people not to underestimate Quran. I am a muslim.. and if i want my kids to grow up carrying respect to their religion i would tell them such stories.. only a little less scary! but it has gone too far with all the pictures and videos and such stuff. and as for the person who previously stated that he/she has kicked a Quran as an experiment i would only say one thing.. if this is your sense of humor.. shame on you. this is very disrespectful. :S
Posted by QNoory  on  Sat Sep 13, 2008  at  07:31 PM
I wipe my butt with the Koran every Sept. 11 and "allah" hasn't cursed me yet. Unless you count hemorrhoids.
Posted by Bob Smythe  in  USA  on  Mon Sep 15, 2008  at  07:51 PM
you know bob.. i can answer back.. but i am more civilized than that. you are obviously not. so good look with everything. and good luck with your hemorrhoids.
Posted by QNoory  on  Mon Sep 15, 2008  at  08:14 PM
Bob from Carlsbad pukes word vomit on blogs across the world... leave him to his hemorrhoids; its all he has!
Posted by me  in  USA  on  Tue Sep 30, 2008  at  09:49 PM
all you peaple have some respect foryour self and for muslims
Posted by omor  in  england  on  Mon Jan 26, 2009  at  10:14 AM
lisen bob and lee u knw ya fink ya sum top shot i'd rate you to come and step up 2 my face and say that, you dirty shits that dnt clean themeselves should tke d mik outta muslims. you fink that you could say whatever yu like behind the computer screens and think youll get away wit it, i guarntee ya yud regret that you actually made that comment. and if you was to say that in public you wouldt be reading my message eneweis best of luck ya kafur.

brought to you by Bob's and lee's grandparents
even where against ya..... tudulle tooo
Posted by BOB'S NAN!!  in  kafur twn  on  Fri Feb 20, 2009  at  07:55 PM
shame on u bob! u,ll regret doing that on the day of judgement! promise u!! astaghfirulah.
Posted by muslima  in  bham  on  Mon Mar 16, 2009  at  08:52 PM
La'anatullah on you and u will rot in hell
Posted by usman  in  bradford  on  Mon Mar 30, 2009  at  03:24 PM
Both are obviously fake.

Ask any Muslim how they'd describe God (or Allah to any Muslims reading this), they'll usually say "merciful" or "forgiving", as in he'd NEVER do shit like this.

And seriously, is transforming a human into an animal physically possible? I think not.

So there, just another hoax.

But in the .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance this is a true story, the message here is "Don't fuck with God"
Posted by John  on  Sun Apr 05, 2009  at  02:16 AM
The Qur'an ("Qor-Ann") is a Message from Allah (swt) to humanity. It was transmitted to us in a chain starting from the Almighty Himself (swt) to the angel Gabriel to the Prophet Muhammad (saw). This message was given to the Prophet (saw) in pieces over a period spanning approximately 23 years (610 CE to 632 CE). The Prophet (saw) was 40 years old when the Qur'an began to be revealed to him, and he was 63 when the revelation was completed. The language of the original message was Arabic, but it has been translated into many other languages.

The Qur'an is one of the two sources which form the basis of Islam. The second source is the Sunnah of the Prophet (saw). What makes the Qur'an different from the Sunnah is primarily its form. Unlike the Sunnah, the Qur'an is literally the Word of Allah (swt), whereas the Sunnah was inspired by Allah but the wording and actions are the Prophet's (saw). The Qur'an has not been expressed using any human's words. Its wording is letter for letter fixed by no one but Allah.

Prophet Muhammad (saw) was the final Messenger of Allah to humanity, and therefore the Qur'an is the last Message which Allah (swt) has sent to us. Its predecessors such as the Torah, Psalms, and Gospels have all been superseded. It is an obligation - and blessing - for all who hear of the Qur'an and Islam to investigate it and evaluate it for themselves. Allah (swt) has guaranteed that He will protect the Qur'an from human tampering, and today's readers can find exact copies of it all over the world. The Qur'an of today is the same as the Qur'an revealed to Muhammad (saw) 1400 years ago.
Posted by usman  in  bradford  on  Fri Apr 10, 2009  at  06:11 PM
people like "Sakano" are a disgrace! to them selves, to their families, to their religion and to the religion of islam! that is wrong and shouldnt be made into a joke. 'Bismillah Arakh Ma Nirah Heem' (excuse my spellings) (ALLAH THE MOST BENEIFICIAL AND THE MOST MERCIFUL! There is NO GOD BUT ALLAH, Mohammed (pbuh) is the messenger of ALLAH! 'La Ilaha Ilulah Mohammed Durh Rasoo lulallah'('ALLAH HU AKHBAR' (ALLAH IS THR GREATEST)

These are ALLAH dua's that we say, and read in order 2 pray and respect our GOD and profets! ALLAH is the GREATEST! and has the power 2 do as they plead! AMEEN!
Posted by Souljah of Allah (The almighty)  in  Allah World  on  Mon Apr 20, 2009  at  07:18 PM
I think having her artwork appropriated is an appropriate punishment for having a website that resizes my browser window.
Posted by ekcol  on  Sat Jun 06, 2009  at  09:40 AM
Muslims believe they must respect the Quran. All the power to them.

I am not muslim so I feel no need to respect the Quran and NO ONE can force me to. I won't overtly provoke muslims by disrespecting the Quran in their presence, I am, after all, civil. But I do take offense at Muslims (or Christians, or Jews, or Hindus, etc) having the audacity and bigotry to tell me what I can and cannot do with any book that belongs to me. (I own several Qurans, Bibles, Torahs, Bhagavad Gitas, Popol Vuhs, etc, and I'll do whatever I damn well please with them) Suffice it to say, if any of these religious mythologies were true, I'd be a bug-eyed simian horse shoe crab.

BTW, the Quran used today is not the one that was "revealed" to Mohamed, but was the final compilation approved by Uthman ibn Affan, third Caliph of the Rashidun Empire (644 to 656)
Posted by YolandaD  in  USA  on  Mon Jun 15, 2009  at  10:29 PM
There's no way that woman got transformed into an animal. I don't believe it!

I'm a Muslim, and I strongly hope that the ones that came up with this idea get punished sooner or later cuz they deserve it!
Posted by blog about islamic blog  in  Sweden  on  Thu Dec 31, 2009  at  02:21 PM
Allah would change every person to animals,then why would we need Judgement Day?
Posted by Heydar  on  Tue Jun 15, 2010  at  01:53 AM
Photos up dated are 000001% true....
Ppl who updated d pics suck 2 d core...
It me tell u abt quran .

Quran is a fake book
It has oly false teachings
Ppl who r reading it r suckers
Inside d book Der is oly kamasutrai.e. sex positions

Just nw I kicked and tore a quran but nothing happened

Let me tell u & the dirty Islamic ppl ole thing. Quran is a fake book containing oly abt sex ... don't read it....

And a special thanks to bob and lee ... "tnx guys 4 trying d research".... I think we must try wiping our shit wit it..

On d whole. Quran & Islam suck 2 d core..
Posted by deepak  in  India  on  Sat Aug 28, 2010  at  08:55 AM
Such a well reasoned and logical argument and such excellent Englsih, Deepak, you obviously are wasted in that telephone service centre. You should move to the States and join the Log Cabin Republicans smile
Posted by D F Stuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Sat Aug 28, 2010  at  08:58 AM
Stuckey, you grabbed the words right out of my mouth :D
Deepak, how old are you, kid??
you should AT LEAST consider using proper grammar and spelling when you're trying to prove you have an opinion..
raspberry
Posted by Nory  on  Sat Aug 28, 2010  at  12:51 PM
Fena, if you're goign to talk to people around the world, you should learn the English language first, and then try and come up with better thought out opinions.

Otherwise, we will think that you are a either a mindless Chav or a Member of Parliament.
Posted by D F Stuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Thu Sep 02, 2010  at  07:39 AM
but its a video.....how wil they ever join parts of different animals and move it:O....
Posted by hari  on  Sun Sep 05, 2010  at  04:10 AM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >