Dead Body of Loch Ness Monster Found, 1972
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
The Cottingley Fairies, 1917
Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
Fake Fish Photos
Did Poe say 'The best things in life make you sweaty'?
Can a bar of soap between your sheets ease muscle cramps?
The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
Boy floats away in balloon, 2009
Cremain Printing
Status: True
image Two weeks ago a lot of people were linking to a story about books bound in human skin that can be found in many libraries, including the rare book libraries at Brown and Harvard. This is, apparently, quite true. Often the books are old medical works, with the skin coming from patients or paupers whose bodies were bought for research. The most gruesome book, owned by the Boston Athenaeum, is an 1837 copy of the memoirs of the highwayman George Walton, bound in his own skin.

Following on in this vein, Paul Collins has noted that Mark Gruenwald, a writer for Marvel Comics, had his cremated ashes mixed into the printing of a comic book, Squadron Supreme. This is absolutely true. A copy of this "cremain printing" is currently for sale on eBay. The seller notes: "The book is in good shape with a ding on the upper, left corner from falling off a table. I hate to part with Mark, but I'm real tired of telling him to get his ash off the table."

The only other way I can think of to incorporate a human body into a book would be to write it in blood, which I'm sure someone has done. Though maybe I'm not being imaginative enough. Perhaps one could make a book's spine out of human bone, the paper from hair and nails... the possibilities are endless.
Categories: Death, Literature/Language
Posted by The Curator on Tue Jan 24, 2006
Gag
Posted by Zsa Zsa  in  St. Louis  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  07:42 PM
Probably the most famous use of blood in a book would be the infamous Kiss comic book (here's the Snopes link.)

Also, performance artist Istvan Kantor has done several "blood paintings" (bringing a new meaning to the phrase "mixed media").
Posted by Andy  in  Brooklyn  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  07:44 PM
I want my ashes mixed in platinum....then turned into a statue.....
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  07:45 PM
Werent grimmoires supposed to be bound in human skin? As like, books from hell? Or even Agrippas for that matter...
Posted by Lady Hedoniste  in  Chilling with 14 other tiny people in your head.  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  08:03 PM
Thanks Andy
I thought it was Kiss, I wasn't sure

I remember when that thing came out
almost wish I'd bought a copy, but then
I'm not into Kiss.
Posted by Sharruma  in  capable of finishing a coherent  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  09:07 PM
I'm going to write a book in blood! A long book! Well, maybe that's not such a great idea. Oh well.
Posted by Dracul  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  09:19 PM
Anthropodermic is the word for these kinds of books.
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  09:52 PM
You see, the MOTHERS could use this as another Mothers Against thing. MOTHERS AGAINST EVIL COMIC BOOKS.
Posted by Lady Hedoniste  in  Chilling with 14 other tiny people in your head.  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  10:52 PM
Damn, Andy beat me to the KISS anecdote. By the way, I actually knew Ace Frehley (whose real first name is Paul) when I was grew up in the Bronx. He lived in an apartment building that a few other friends of mine happened to live in too. In a neighborhood filled with eccentrics of all stripes, he still managed to stand out as an oddball. Quite an achievement.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Jan 25, 2006  at  06:06 AM
In Amsterdam in the 1700
Posted by Beasjt  on  Wed Jan 25, 2006  at  06:34 AM
found a url:

On the bottom of the page the drawings can be seen.
The adress of the house is Amstel 216 (near the new townhall)
Posted by Beasjt  on  Wed Jan 25, 2006  at  06:44 AM
what

about

the

NECRONOMICAN?

It kicks Ash
Posted by Craig  on  Thu Jan 26, 2006  at  08:48 AM
I think I speak for a few people when I say, What is the Necronomican?
Posted by Lady Hedoniste  in  Chilling with 14 other tiny people in your head.  on  Thu Jan 26, 2006  at  02:04 PM
the necronomicon (im pretty sure thats the right spelling) was the book of the dead that appeared alot in hp lovecrafts stories. and yeap it was key plot point in evil dead and was bound in human flesh... however...

it doesnt exist

hp lovecraft made it up, he says so many times, infact hp lovecraft was a committed atheist, and worked with harry houdini to write a book called "the cancer of superstition"

(it was never published
Posted by joeodd  on  Sun Jan 29, 2006  at  05:13 AM
According to Jack the Ripper, it's diffcult to write in human blood cos after a while it goes gooey and sticky. Mind you, I believe there are chemicals nowadays to keep blood runny enough to write with.
Posted by Nona  in  London  on  Thu Feb 22, 2007  at  09:07 AM