Coydogs
image Coydogs. Are they real creatures, or just the stuff of urban legend? As the name implies, a coydog would be a cross between a coyote and a dog. But according to Chrissie Henner, a biologist at the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, they're an urban legend. She says that "there has never been any physical evidence of a half-dog, half-coyote animal." Not that it would be impossible for the two species to mate and produce an offspring, just very unlikely. Though Henner also points out that the mating cycles of the two species differ: "Coyotes go in to heat between January and March and have pups in May or June, while dogs have their pups in winter." So if animal experts such as Henner are correct that there's no physical evidence of the existence of coydogs, then what exactly is the Sundance Coydogs site selling? Are these coyotes, or dogs that look coyote-like, or real coydogs?
Animals
Posted by The Curator on Tue Dec 21, 2004 Comments (230)
Pete...go to this site:
(type in casey123 for the password)
Look at the dog photo. This is Shara the coydog I've been talking about. She's 5 months old there. I've got more recent pictures of her at 8 months. I'll put them out there soon. Keep in touch. You seem intelligent and interesting.
Posted by Rose Mooney  in  Charleston, WV  on  Mon Dec 31, 2007  at  11:55 AM
Hey Rose, Pete here, I've been type'n for ever and I submitted it and it didn't send,, SHUCKS!!!!! If you want you can e me at wyolog@yahoo or you can go to our website and e me that way. Thanks Rose!! Pete
Posted by Pete Petry  in  Southwest Wyoming  on  Mon Jan 07, 2008  at  08:03 PM
i can be honest and say that they are real i had a coy dog i happend to catch a coyote in a trap when she was young. after she got used to the family and looked at us as her family (my mom 2 sisterand i)any way the coyote and my lab end up mateing when the family went on vacation got rid of all the pups but one rocky and he was by fare the best dog i had. a lil bit shy and protective of me i had him for a year and a half intill me and a buddy got into a wrestling match and he tried going for my friends throat i had to put him down
Posted by sleepin  in  indiana  on  Mon Feb 04, 2008  at  04:35 PM
That's very interesting. Recently my dog has been accused of killing a puppy. It's hard for me to believe that she went out and killed someone's puppy. I have 2 cats that she is around all the time and the neighbors 2 puppies come in my house with her at night. She does act wild in many ways though and if she has this type of behavior it isn't at home. Everyone is telling me that my dog would never do that and that she is afraid of other dogs and runs away from them. She's very shy and afraid of everyone. She even runs away from me lately when I ask her to come to me. I've been working with her but it really takes time to train a wild animal and I'm thinking that the least little thing could cause her to react with her instincts instead of what she has been taught by me so far. It's as though I'm going to have to continue her training much longer than a normal dog requires to keep her from acting on instincts. The man that accused her of killing his dog as a den of coyotes not far from where he lives. Also, 2 brindle pitt bulls not far away. I'm just hoping it wasn't my dog that killed his puppy. I even have a rabbit in my house to teach her not to chase and kill. My 2 dogs that were accused come into my home with a rabbit running around and they sleep with a cat. But I'm wondering that if they are going out into the woods and hunting, if they really do change and go after other animals like prey.
Posted by Rose Mooney  in  Charleston, WV  on  Tue Feb 05, 2008  at  09:50 AM
I'm glad I found these posts and know there are other people with coydogs out there.

A friend brought me what she thought was a Husky pup from a kill shelter in TN. Right from the start she was different. She looked up and all around when leaving the house, was clean and the easiest to housebreak. As she grew the difference from my other dogs became very evident. She never smelled like a dog even when wet. And her fur was always clean. Her first year I went away for a couple of weeks and she blew her coat and looked rough like wild coyote's do. But after that she adjusted to my occasional leaving. Maybe because she was socialized young she liked almost everybody but was cautious with strangers when she didn't know them. Tasha was the best "dog" I've ever had. I raise dairy goats and she would help clean the new babies and watch over them, never chased her cat or chickens. But she would wait at the woodchuck hole for hours if necessary while the other dogs got bored. She hunted mice and other birds and grazed in the raspberry patch. She would wait in my truck all day just to be with me. Everyone who saw her thought she was a coyote and more times than I can count people stopped to let me know there was a coyote in the field near my goats. She howled and yipped and loved to have a group howl though the other dogs couldn't carry the tune very well she forgave them. Tasha was about 35 lbs and her coat was a golden color with some darker hairs and her tail was bushy and black tipped. There is a wild coyote male down the road that is colored almost like her. I haven't had a problem with wild coyote's bothering my herd ever since Tasha confronted them and established that this was her territory. She was very protective of her extended family. Unfortunately she died too young. May be I was one of the lucky ones. As good as she was if I ever come across another female coydog puppy you can be sure that it would make a home here.
Posted by Beth Corbett  in  Massachusetts  on  Sat Mar 08, 2008  at  03:12 PM
I have a coydog now and have had others in the past. I find it odd that anyone suggests they don't exist. It is very common for male coyotes to come into small towns in Canada to check out the female dogs in heat. People catch them "in the act" sometimes and the right amount of time later there are puppies who are quite different from regular dogs. Go figure.

Anyway, my coy is a darling. She is different from a regular dog in so many ways. She was born on a reservation and, supposedly, her mom is half German Shepherd and half coyote while her father was pure coyote.

I'm not sure I believe this, however, as she is a a beautiful red color. She does have a head something like a German Shepherd and a very big bark rather than a coyote yip. Anyway, you can see her on youtube.com if you like. Just search: coyote dreaming or click on the URL with this message or cut and paste: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4JV23j1qRgE.

In my experience (I've had three coys and one seemingly pure coyote), they are a mixed bag. One was so independent that she utterly refused to be fed and traveled around town like she owned the place. The dog catcher tried repeatedly to catch her but she simply outsmarted the poor guy time and again. Another was a great dog, no problems, and no real sign of her coyote heritage except she was very smart and worked with the "pure" coyote to hassle the daylights out of bears. The "pure" coyote was way too high strung and did not make a good pet.

Our present dog is pretty much perfect. She is so smart she even watches television (mind you, she finds people shows boring but will watch almost anything with dogs or, preferably, wolves and coyotes in it. I don't think she would be as interested in a regular tv but we have a projector (not a projection tv, btw) that she seems able to see clearly.

Anyway, I don't know what the biologist referred to earlier can be thinking. There ought to be some scientific way to prove whether or not coydogs exist but I doubt she would be able to convince country people who have seen dozens or even hundreds of them.

Another supposed legend is that scorpions sting themselves when they are frightened. I saw this for myself, once, so there's no doubt in my mind. Our son had caught a scorpion and incarcerated it. We watched it sting itself, fall over "dead" (we thought) and then revive an hour or so later.

Maybe it's a matter of scientists needing to get out more!
Posted by Nena Joy  in  British Columbia  on  Sat Mar 29, 2008  at  06:16 AM
Hello, I am cindy and I have a sweet wolf/sherpard dog! White male about 6 years old.
Posted by cindy robertson  in  mount pleasant, texas 75455 196 cr 1620  on  Sat May 17, 2008  at  04:21 PM
Posted by Emma  in  Digby  on  Tue May 20, 2008  at  01:02 PM
I own a coydog and a DNA test to prove it... She is beautiful and very skittish of strangers and other dogs..
Posted by Melissa  in  Chicago  on  Mon Jul 21, 2008  at  10:46 PM
I rescued a dog from a wild dog shelter in CO.
He's one of the greatest dogs I've owned. At the time I didn't think of the fact he could be a coyote mix. But he matches all the coyote mix traits.
Posted by Mike  in  Gilbert, AZ  on  Sun Jan 04, 2009  at  11:40 PM
Posted by Mike  in  Gilbert, AZ  on  Sun Jan 04, 2009  at  11:52 PM
Hi Mike,
I see no coyote,but I do see possible pitbull
due to the shape of the head.
Or maybe even Akita
Nice looking dog tho.
Posted by annie  in  USA  on  Mon Jan 05, 2009  at  12:17 AM
Mishka, low content coydog for adoption:

"Mishka is a coydog. This precious girl will need someone special with experience and secure containment. Mishka is a little shy but definitely not afraid of people. She is hard to get ahold of but once you have gotten her, she will walk fine on her leash. She is not house-broken and has had no obedience training."
Posted by Seijun  on  Mon Jan 05, 2009  at  01:56 AM
Also, in regards to the original original post, the Sundance coydogs are genuine coydogs. While matings of coyotes and dogs in the wild is rare, breeding the two in captivity is nothing special.
Posted by Seijun  on  Mon Jan 05, 2009  at  02:01 AM
I think he might have Akita or Pit or both in him.
But because where I got him and his odd traits being part Coyote would make a lot of sense.

long neck.
oval paw print.
impossible to housebreak.
perfect teeth.
extra thick tail fur.
massive prey drive.
thick dark fur ridge from head to tail.
dug two large dens in my back yard.
won't play with toys.
rarely barks.
curls up in a ball to sleep.
and a big sweet lover boy.
Posted by Mike  in  Gilbert, AZ  on  Tue Jan 06, 2009  at  11:44 PM
All those traits are also dog ones.
Posted by Seijun  on  Wed Jan 07, 2009  at  12:08 AM
I have owned over 20 dogs myself plus my friends and family all have many dogs. This is the first one to dig a den. I hope he's not a coyote mix. Maybe someday soon the dog DNA tests will include coyote and wolf markers.
Posted by Mike  in  Gilbert, AZ  on  Wed Jan 07, 2009  at  12:39 AM
Feral dogs have been known to dig dens. Husky's will also dig "dens". I remember on the terrificpets forum there was a topic (few years ago now) where people were talking about their dogs digging dens. It does happen.
Posted by Seijun  on  Wed Jan 07, 2009  at  01:32 AM
FW:

Thank you for contacting Mars Veterinary.

The Wisdom Panel
Posted by Mike  in  Gilbert, AZ  on  Thu Jan 08, 2009  at  11:46 PM
Alot of dogs will dig dens. I have a Rottweiler, Corgi, and two german shepherds that all dig dens. (The corgi is just copying the "real" dogs. -LOL

Dogs hunting or killing proves nothing. Read any book of the settlers in new england or the west. They did not use dog food, they left the dog's provision up to himself. Both my shepherds will hunt rabbit or squirrell. (I feed them everyday too.)
A dog "going for your friends throat" proves nothing either. Any good protective dog will do that if it thinks you are in trouble.

Folks, your dog "acting" like a coyote doesn't prove or suggest anything. With all due respect, the people who claim to have taken wild coyote home and "tamed" them are misguided at best.

There may be real "coy-dogs" but nobody has provided any evidence. "My uncle Jake saw one" is not worthy of debate.
Posted by antferny  on  Tue Mar 03, 2009  at  04:02 PM
To the person who responded that there was not evidence of coydogs,here is my friends site.
These are absolutely real.
Beautiful animals....
Posted by jeannie  in  california  on  Tue Mar 03, 2009  at  04:12 PM
I agree for the most part with antferny's post. Most if not all dogs will display at least some behavioral traits with wolves and coyotes.

However, there ARE genuine coydogs in existence (albeit VERY few). The two are able to produce offspring together, and all that is needed to get a coydog is a coyote and a dog who get along. Finding the coyote is the only real hard part. You can't exactly just go out and buy one at the local pet store. And even if you could, adult coyotes are very hard animals to keep. The vast majority of coydogs out there are not actually coydogs.
The coydog.us site hosts pictures of genuine coydogs, and their breeder is one of only three or four I have ever known to produce real coydogs.
Posted by Seijun  on  Tue Mar 03, 2009  at  07:18 PM
So "I own a coydog and a DNA test to prove it" isn't proof? Gee, maybe we should all shut up unless we are willing to prove stuff to you. LOL

Just like mountain gorillas and giraffes (once considered imaginary) some people already know including people who have watched coyotes trot through, mate with dogs, and a few months later, had puppies arrive that look and act quite different than most dogs. Good enough for us humble folk.

Btw, nobody cares if you consider it proved or not.
Posted by Kay Graham  in  BC, Canada  on  Tue Mar 03, 2009  at  07:36 PM
Why is it that so many people with half an education are such pretentious asses?
Posted by Kay Graham  in  BC, Canada  on  Tue Mar 03, 2009  at  07:40 PM
A friend of mine has what he says is a coyote and chihuahua mix, he refers to as a "Chiyote." -- he's not putting me on, but I wonder if this is possible. "Harvey," is a wonderful pet -- my friend is in construction, and takes Harvey to most of his jobs. I've always wondered about Harvey, as he is a little bigger and huskier than a chihuahua, but the operative word there is "little." -- I would expect a Chiyote (or however it might be spelled) to be more in the 20 to 30 pound range. Any help out there? R. T., Capitola, CA
Posted by Richard Tennesen  in  Capitola, CA  on  Tue May 05, 2009  at  11:06 PM
In regard to dogs digging dens, I have an AKC golden retriever and her mom dug a den in their backyard!
Posted by Diane  in  Las Vegas, NV  on  Thu Jul 30, 2009  at  06:01 PM
I live in the hills of eastern ky,and i have what,
i call a male german sheperd,whom has all the
markings,and actions of the many coyotes i have
watched over the years here in the mountains. he has a hard time controling his urge to prey upon my cat. I have no idea why people find it so hard to believe coyote and dogs do not mix.
Posted by brenda  in  eastern ky  on  Sun Aug 16, 2009  at  08:03 PM
Your GSD sounds like he is the color "sable" which is a normal color for German shepherds to have (though not as common as most other colors). Also, GSD's are notorious for having strong prey drive if they are not raised with cats.
Posted by Seijun  on  Sun Aug 16, 2009  at  08:06 PM
I happen to know that coyote will mate with other dogs. I own a coyote/sheppard mix. I love her dearly and she is very well behaved. She came from the reservation. So believe it!
Posted by Heather  on  Wed Sep 02, 2009  at  12:53 AM
does anyone know of anybody raising coydogs around the dallas,tx area. I have been told that the recent dog that I have rescued is really a coydog, after they examined her teeth and remarked about her coloring and body structure. She looks like a cross between a german shephard and coyote features and other folks have remarked about this and I would like to know how to really determine if she is or isn't. thanks
Posted by ruby  in  quinlan,tx  on  Tue Sep 08, 2009  at  02:21 AM
Comments: Page 5 of 8 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.