Taco Bells buys the Liberty Bell, 1996
Vilcabamba, the town of very old people, 1978
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
The Lovely Feejee Mermaid, 1842
Can a bar of soap between your sheets ease muscle cramps?
Brief History of Triple-Decker Buses
Samsung invents the on/off switch
Cursed by Allah
Old-Time Photo Fakery, 1900 to 1919
The Nazi Air Marker Hoax, 1942
Colorful Coastal Village
This looks like it would be a great place to visit.

It's Cinque Terre in Italy. Unfortunately, it's not quite so colorful in real life. (via City Comforts)

Categories: Photos/Videos, Places
Posted by The Curator on Wed May 07, 2008
High dynamic range? HDR photography is getting pretty popular, it looks like it to me...

Here is some of Chicago in HDR

Its definitely some pretty cool looking stuff
Posted by Andrew  on  Wed May 07, 2008  at  01:44 AM
yeah, I was gonna say it looks like they just really upped the color contrast. It's *still* a beautifully colorful little city, just make it so any color is amped up, and you've got a riot of color.

I probably wouldn't mind visiting there.
Posted by Robin Bobcat  in  Californian Wierdo  on  Wed May 07, 2008  at  03:50 AM
I prefer the more muted tones - the brighter colours would give me a headache,especially on a sunny day. And yes, it looks lovely to visit
Posted by Nona  on  Wed May 07, 2008  at  07:38 AM
All it needs to match the picture is a few hundred buckets of paint.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Palo Pinto, Texas  on  Wed May 07, 2008  at  05:33 PM
This is actually Manarola (Cinque Terre is the term used to refer to the 5 towns in this area, Manarola being the second most eastern)
Posted by s  on  Wed May 07, 2008  at  05:44 PM
I have visited 3 of the 5 of these towns. My mom, sister and I ate homemade foccacca pizza and gelato as well as swam off those big rocks you see in the picture, into the bay. It is even more beautiful in real life, and extremely authentic Italy. If you have a chance to visit, I would recommend it a hundred times over.
Posted by claire Christie  on  Tue Aug 10, 2010  at  04:51 PM