Loch Ness Monster Hoaxes
Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
Script of Casablanca rejected, 1982
Samsung invents the on/off switch
Vilcabamba, the town of very old people, 1978
The Great New York Zoo Escape Hoax, 1874
The Crown Prince Regent of Thulia, 1954
Swiss peasants harvest spaghetti from trees, 1957
A black lion: real or fake?
Fake Fish Photos
CitiKitty: Cat Toilet Training Kit
Status: Controversial. I'm doubtful this could work, but some people swear it does
image I'm sorry. I refuse to believe it would be possible to train a cat to use a toilet, despite what the CitiKitty company might claim. After all, you can't train cats to do anything. (At least, not my cat.) This is how the CityKitty Cat Toilet Training Kit is supposed to work:

The specially designed training seat securely sits on your toilet filled with litter. Your cat naturally uses CitiKitty as its new litter box. The rings are removed thus reducing the amount of litter. Once all rings are removed your cat is toilet trained!

I think the cat might use the citikitty thing while it has litter in it. But once the litter is gone, the cat will not keep going back to where the litter used to be. Instead, it'll pee on your bed (or somewhere else designed to punish you and force you to bring back the litter). But in the interest of fairness, if anyone has successfully used this device, I'd be curious to hear about it.
Categories: Animals
Posted by The Curator on Thu Oct 13, 2005
One of my co-workers swears his girlfriend has toilet trained her cats. I have never seen it, but he evidently has. I don't know if she used this product, but the method that was described to me was very similar to what's on the web site.
Posted by Interrobang  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  01:27 AM
Alex, I refer you to http://www.ebaumsworld.com/welltrainedcat.html
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  01:29 AM
I do know of at least one cat who was trained in a similar way to this, although not with this product. I forget the details, but it started off with the cat's litter box being set on top of the toilet, and ended up with the cat being toilet trained. I'll have to check to see what the intervening steps were.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  03:37 AM
Other versions of this device have been around for ages. I know you're all going to think I'm making this up, but supposedly Jazz bass player Charles Mingus developed some means of toilet training cats. I can't swear it's true, but I promise that I didn't make it up.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  04:18 AM
OK, check this out:

Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  04:19 AM
Wasn't there a scene similar to what y'all are talking about in the movie 'Meet The Fockers'?
Posted by Christopher  in  Joplin, Mo  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  06:41 AM
I had a cat a while back that actually used the toilet, only for urination, though. We didn't train him to do it. He just started doing this one day. I do agree that you can't train a cat to do anything that isn't his idea. Too stubborn I guess.
Posted by Rande  in  Omaha  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  07:04 AM
It's true. I've done it and I know others who have. It's not really woth the trouble, IMO, but it's not that hard. As long as the cat agrees to play along. smile
Posted by Steph  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  08:31 AM
Why not??! I pee in kitty litter sometimes rolleyes
Posted by aLTEr iGOr  in  litter bOx  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  09:06 AM
you can train cats, there are featured in many films doing numerous activites. And I've seen at least 20 you've been framed clips of a cat using the toilet. Sorry alex but I think your wrong.
Posted by davetolomy  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  09:49 AM
My parents own two pet stores, and I worked in them for 10 years, so I can vouch for the fact that these things work, given enough time and patience. Cats are fairly stubborn animals, but they can be trained to do most anything if you know what you're doing and know how to do it.
Posted by AqueousBoy  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  09:53 AM
I milked a cat once. You can milk just about anything with nipples.
Posted by DiaVernon  in  DC  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  09:57 AM
But wouldn't the cat occasionally fall into the toilet? And wouldn't that dissuade it from using it?
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  09:57 AM
And how is the human supposed to use the toilet while there's a litter box stationed on top of it? Seems like you'd need an extra, unused toilet to train the cat.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  10:01 AM
I suppose you just move the litter box out of the way whenever you need to use the toilet. Or else buy a lot of diapers.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  10:20 AM
I mentioned this to my parents who, as it turns out, actually know someone who did this with their cat. So maybe it can be done. But apparently these people also encountered a serious drawback with the method: the cat didn't know it was supposed to aim into the water. It just knew that it was supposed to perch on the seat and go. So more often than not, the stuff would end up on the floor around the toilet.

Another problem: cats instinctively want to scratch to cover up their mess. So to train a cat to go into the toilet is going against cat instinct. Therefore, I still believe that MOST cats would resist being toilet-trained.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  10:50 AM
Yeah, actually a cat can be trained to use the toilet in that manner.. just can't train 'em to flush or close the seat! It's no hoax.
Posted by David  in  SW Missouri  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  11:08 AM
A cat can be trained to flush and this is a horrible thing because once they learn what fun flushing is, they like to just flush the toilet and watch the water swirl down.

They will also unroll the toilet paper into a heap on the floor.
Posted by Annie  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  11:33 AM
While growing up, my husband had two cats that were toilet trained. The only downside was that they were the only ones who could use that specific bathroom because people scents on the toilet bothered them. That training method mentioned in the ad isn't very new. I bought a kit similar to that years ago to use on my cat. Didn't work though. She was too freakin' scared of the toilet to use it (probably didn't help that I used to drop the lid on her when she'd try to drink out of the toilet when she was young. On the other hand - she did stop drinking out of it).
Posted by snarkygurl  in  Pflugerville  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  12:39 PM
Yes, Alex, there are quite a lot of people who have trained their cats to use the toilet. The main drawbacks are that you have to leave the lid up all the time, and cats (at least most cats) will never learn to flush.

Ocelots are supposed to be especially easy to toilet-train, because they are said to naturally eliminate into streams in their rain-forest habitat. I'm not advocating keeping ocelots as pets (I've only known one person with a pet ocelot and that one was a terrible pet); I'm only repeating what I've heard and read.

I once bought a book entitled "Toilet Train Your Cat," which detailed numerous training methods and also described various case histories of cats that had taught themselves to use the W.C. I've forgotten the author's name. Another time, a friend bought me a product called "Kitty Whiz," which was fairly similar to the CitiKitty described here. I never got around to using it, though. Since I'm away from home most of the day, it just seems easier to keep scooping out the litter box (which my cats use with no prompting, as long as I keep it clean) than to try to supervise my cats and modify their behavior whenever they need to spend a penny.
Posted by Big Gary in Dallas  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  06:30 PM
Alex is dead wrong when he says, "After all, you can't train cats to do anything." I've got a friend named Tom who trained his cat, Poopy Foot, to do an entire lion tamers act, but Poopy was a house cat. Watching Tom put Poopy through the routine was absolutely one of the funniest things I have seen in my life. Just imagine a lion tamers act that you would see at a circus, complete with roaring, standing, jumping from perch to perch, and the jumping through the burning hoop of fire as the finale, all with a house cat, and you get the picture here.

Tom had been an elephant trainer at the city zoo for many years by the time I met him. He claims that it is possible to train any animal to do SOMETHING, no matter how old it is. I believe him. You just have to BE CONSISTENT (this is probably the most important thing), and you have to UNDERSTAND AND WORK WITH THE ANIMAL'S NATURAL INCLINATIONS. Food is generally the best motivator there is.

I tried to get Tom to let me video tape him and Poopy Foot for America's Funniest Home Videos or something, but he would not let me. :(
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  earth, 3rd planet, sol system  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  07:06 PM
I tried this with my cat once and it basically went crazy. After a while, it started going pee and stuff all over the place. The worst was when it randomly decided to pee on my brand new white shoes before I had to go to school. It smelled like pee for a really long time.
Posted by Harrison  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  10:23 PM
Alex, you move the kitty litter holder when you have to go. Idiot.
Posted by 8EΞ≡  on  Fri Oct 14, 2005  at  08:11 AM
Back when I had more free time, I taught my cats to do various tricks on command, such as "jump up" (onto a chair), "jump down," "sit," "stand up" (on hind legs), and "catch."

Cats are at least as smart as dogs, probably smarter in some ways. The main difference between training a cat and training a dog is that you might be able to intimidate a dog into doing something, but you'll never get a cat to do something he doesn't want to do. If the cat doesn't enjoy the routine, forget about it.
Posted by Big Gary in Dallas  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Fri Oct 14, 2005  at  04:47 PM
...And if you don't believe me and Bugbearsloth, you should take in the Moscow Cats Theater some weekend:

Posted by Big Gary in Dallas  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Fri Oct 14, 2005  at  04:55 PM
This thing works. My aunt had a spare bathroom that was just for the cats. They used the friggin toilet...one disadvantage to the spare bathroom for the cats scenario is that someone has to remember to flush. Also i've heard of cats switching tot he bathroom sink in defiance of the toilet.
Posted by Travis  in  Boise, USA  on  Fri Oct 14, 2005  at  06:08 PM
I don't know if that kit will teach your cat to use the toilet, but I know that my cat adopted the practice on his own. He always follows people into the bathroom. I assume he likes to watch. Anyway, he spontaneously began using the toilet and after a couple of months, my other cat began copying him, eliminating the need for a litter pan completely. I have no idea how it happened and have no advice, but I sure am pleased.
Posted by Kat  on  Sat Oct 15, 2005  at  10:19 PM
You can train your cat to do all sorts of things. Most people train their cats to come when called, but don't even think of that as training...yet it is. My niece trained her cat to shake hands, roll over and fetch. I trained a cat I used to have to fetch little wadded up balls of aluminum foil. He refused to fetch a little ball - it was probably too heavy. Of course, that was more serendipity than training. The cat ran after the aluminum ball and picked it up. When he surprised me by bringing it back to be thrown again, a new game had been discovered. Of course, some my say my cat trained me to throw.
Posted by Kat  on  Sat Oct 15, 2005  at  10:26 PM
You can not believe if you like, but 2 of my 3 old cats were toilet trained - although I didn't use any particular device. We started with the litter box on the toilet, changed to a bowl of kitty litter that was the right size to hang in the hole in the seat, then to a dollar store plastic colander. Actually, the third cat sort of got it but he had once fallen in the toilet so we had to leave the colander in for him. That meant that if he went #2 you had to go in and dump out the colander so he was trained to go on the toilet but not toilet trained completely.

I never did get them to learn to flush.

And no, the cats never took a crap or peed on the bed for revenge. It was interesting in the middle of the night when you jumped up to run to the can and turned the light on to find the cat there taking a leak, though.
Posted by PolarBear  in  Canada  on  Sun Oct 16, 2005  at  05:42 PM
When is the status going to be changed to "true?"
Posted by Joe  in  Portland, OR  on  Mon Oct 17, 2005  at  03:37 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >