Baby Yoga, aka Swinging Your Kid Around Your Head
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
Did Paul McCartney die on Nov. 9, 1966?
September Morn, the painting that shocked the censor, 1913
The disumbrationist art hoax, 1924
The most sacred relic: the Holy Foreskin, circa 800 AD
The Olympic Underwear Relay, 1956
Did Poe say 'The best things in life make you sweaty'?
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
The Instant Color TV Hoax, 1962
Christian Mime Theater
Status: Real (I think)
image At last you can enjoy your favorite passages from scripture as interpreted by mimes:

Christian Mime Theater brings scripture passages to life through the ministry of pantomime. During the “voice over” reading of the scripture, people come to life in various light pools across the stage, portraying modern enactments of the timeless Word of God.

I'm assuming this is real and not some kind of Objective-Christian-Ministries style parody. After all, it appears that you really can buy the Christian Mime Theater video, and the rest of the site appears serious. But it's still an odd concept. When I think of mimes I usually imagine tortured French existentialist types, not Christian theater.
Categories: Religion
Posted by The Curator on Tue Sep 27, 2005
ugggh... seriously, there ARE Christian mimes. I had an experiance with them myself. Basically, when I go to see a mime show, I expect to see them like... pretend to be stuck in a box. Instead they acted to music and shoved bibles in our faces (literally) for over half an hour and we couldn't get up without looking rude (and I needed my jacket!)

so... I wouldn't be surprised if it was real.
Posted by Mera  on  Tue Sep 27, 2005  at  09:26 AM
Um... I really hate to admit this. Years and years ago, when I still believed in god, I went on a teen group missions trip to Africa where... yes, I was a Christian mime. Seriously. The makeup and everything. Poor Tanzanians didn't know what was going on.
Posted by AqueousBoy  on  Tue Sep 27, 2005  at  09:36 AM
I always thought this was silly...(mimes in general).

I know that a lot of missionary groups that go, do mime-like productions b/c of the language barriers. *I* personally have never done this (I thought building homes was more important, silly me), but I have been with groups who thought this was the BEST. IDEA. EVER.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Tue Sep 27, 2005  at  10:27 AM
I don't think anyone would pay to watch somebody climb a ladder or get in a box, but many will to watch people pretend to do this.

Earthlings are odd.
Posted by Peter  on  Tue Sep 27, 2005  at  04:15 PM
The whole idea of mimes is ridiculous.
Posted by Cathy  in  South Dakota  on  Tue Sep 27, 2005  at  04:29 PM
It's still not as creepy and absurd as Clown Ministries or Puppet Ministries. Compared to those two concepts, Mime Ministries seems sensible and tasteful.

I can't decide whether Clown Ministries or Puppet Ministries is creepier, though.

But Rodeos for Jesus, I think, are still more downright stupid.

(letter from a reader near the bottom who is a Clown for Jesus)

I'm sure this is the kind of bullshit Jesus had in mind when he was dying in agony, his screams of torment muffled by a throatfull of his own congealing blood. He was surely thinking, "It will all be worth it when they use clowns and puppets to spread my message someday! GAAAH!"
Posted by Barghest  on  Wed Sep 28, 2005  at  12:35 AM
Christian evangelist mimes. Wow. FINALLY, someone has figured out a way to annoy people TWICE simultaneously!

By the way, Barghest, you really made me laugh with that whole Jesus thing. Very funny.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Sep 28, 2005  at  09:29 PM
I suppose mimes would be one way of trying to get your point across to people who don't speak your language. All the same, I'm not going to be in any great rush to go out and watch these folks. If anything, I'd probably slink away quietly at their approach and hope that they didn't see me.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Thu Sep 29, 2005  at  12:09 AM
I was in a mime group (years ago) and i'm saying this to say it's no parody. It's an effective means of communicating the message without having to learn as different language or even having to use accurate dialects of the English language that're peculiar to certain parts of this world- and that includes idioms.

Those that consider mime evangelism as an "annoyance" (or those that denigrate others involved in this type of ministry) have opinions, but are themselves parodies. Here's proof:

1 Corinthians 3:18-21
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world [which comprise the "wise"] is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

1 Corinthians 1:21
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
Posted by mdoc  in  Md  on  Sat Oct 01, 2005  at  09:01 AM
and one more thing, about the Objective: Christian Ministry thing.

This is the fellowship baptist church on your blog. It is a parody, all of it is not real, including all links and all ads. It's all a joke put up by an atheist. They are the same creators for the Landover Baptist.

source: http://www.answers.com/topic/objective-christian-ministries

more info:

Domain Name:LANDOVERBAPTIST.ORG
Created On:07-Feb-1999 05:00:00 UTC
Last Updated On:27-Oct-2004 09:50:33 UTC
Expiration Date:07-Feb-2006 05:00:00 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Network Solutions LLC (R63-LROR)
Registrant ID:24451038-NSI
Registrant Name:oddities-inc
Registrant Organization:oddities-inc
Registrant Street1:PO Box 1000 PMB #252
Registrant City:FALLS CHURCH
Registrant State/Province:VA
Registrant Postal Code:22046
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.9999999999
Registrant Email:americhrist@EMAIL.MSN.COM
Domain Name:OBJECTIVEMINISTRIES.ORG
Created On:29-Aug-2005 04:39:02 UTC
Last Updated On:29-Aug-2005 10:54:34 UTC
Expiration Date:29-Aug-2006 04:39:02 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:New Dream Network, LLC (R173-LROR)
Registrant ID:ndn-104679
Registrant Name:Kev F.
Registrant Organization:NA
Registrant Street1:7101 35th St NW
Registrant City:Gig Harbor
Registrant State/Province:WA
Registrant Postal Code:98335
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.1234567890
Registrant FAX:+1.1234567890
Registrant Email:kevf@centurytel.net
Posted by mdoc  in  Md  on  Sat Oct 01, 2005  at  09:16 AM
I happen to have known two people who were heavily involved in promoting "clown ministries" and one who ran a "puppet ministry." All three of them (coincidentally?) were middle-aged women, and all three (coincidentally?) were certifiable sociopaths whose motto seemed to be "Hate thy neighbor."

I'm not claiming this was a representative sample of the demographic or anything, but if you happen to know of a really great clown ministry out there somewhere, do me a favor and don't tell me about it.
Posted by Big Gary, just home from church  in  Dallas, Texas, USA  on  Sun Oct 02, 2005  at  03:07 PM
Hello, I accidentally stumbled across this sadly cynical website and had to respond. I am one of the silly ones who believes in the claims of Jesus Christ and in the power of drama to relate those claims to a lost and hungry world. I guess I am stupid enough to think that teaching someone that there is a God of Love and that they can live with Him forever is more important than building them temporary shelter on this Earth. None-the-less, I can do and have done both of these things in my 20+ years of following Him. His birth, life and death are easily the most provable historic event ever recorded, from the 332 specific prophecies in the Old Testament, the New Testament writings and the various other secular writings about Him. I am just glad, from reading these replies on here, that He is a gracious and forgiving God, slow to anger. You all can still come if you want! Love,"Defender of the Faith" By the way, puppet ministries and clown ministries are meant to convey the Gospel to CHILDREN who quite often LOVE IT.
Posted by Defender of the Faith  in  Earth for now  on  Mon Jan 16, 2006  at  03:46 PM
Defender of the Faith said:

"I guess I am stupid enough to think that teaching someone that there is a God of Love and that they can live with Him forever is more important than building them temporary shelter on this Earth."

Defender, I'm sure you're a nice person and all, but, sorry, I think that trying to convince people to believe in your personal superstition rather than helping them have shelter, one of the basic needs of a human being, is silly at best.

By the way, since you're into the Bible, did you miss the Beatitudes? You know, the part that says we should feed the hungry, clothe the naked, etc. It looks to me like your book puts some value on those things.

I'm always appalled by how a lot of believers pick and choose the parts of the Bible they follow. Fundamentalism is pretty dopey but at least it's consistent.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Tue Jan 17, 2006  at  04:36 PM
It is interesting to read what everyone has to say about God and ministry, and a lot of it makes me very sad. Sad because i know so much of the world is so lost and dead in their sin that they can't or won't just accept the truth.
Truth is truth no matter what ANYONE says about it. You can deny that 2 plus 2 equals 4 until you are blue in the face, but that won't change the fact that 2 plus 2 does actually equal 4. It doesn't equal 16 or 5 or anything else, only 4. Your arguing against the facts is just going to make you look like a fool and you in fact are a fool in that case. by the way the Bible says "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'" (Psalm 14:1). It doesn't really matter if you spend your whole life mocking God and those who follow Him. Truth is truth and some day, weather you believe it or not. you WILL stand before Him (God) and He will judge you for the way you have lived your life, and if you are not covered by the blood of Jesus because you were too stuborn or blind to accept His free gift of salvation, it's YOUR soul the will be cast into hell for eternity. That's a long time. so if i were you i would figure out where i want to spend eternity. if you don't want to be tortured by your foolishness for all of eternity then choose God now. But if you don't want to believe then don't, but don't blame God when you are in hell because He gave you the chance to choose either Him or not Him. He isn't going to force ANYONE to follow Him or be with Him, though He loves us all and wants us all to be with Him, He isn't going to force you, He loves you and wants you to love him voluntarily, cuz that's true love.
So all i'm saying is God loves you no matter what you think of Him. And He is real no matter what you think. So it really doesn't matter what YOU think, truthfully you wouldn't be alive and "thinking" anything right now if it weren't for God. Kind of ironic isn't it? He created you to love you, and you turn around and mock Him and say that He doesn't even exist. But He DOES and if you don't experience that in this life, you most definately will once your body is dead and your soul is standing before Him. He is real. The "afterlife" is real (meaning that there really is a Heaven and a Hell, and not everyone goes to Heaven). That is the truth.
I had to write this to let you know that God does care.
John 3:16-19 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil."
Posted by Lover of the Truth  on  Sat Feb 04, 2006  at  03:04 PM
Posted by Deepwell  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  11:18 PM
There are many Faith based Fundamentalist Christian organizations that in addition to preaching our "superstition" actually DO "practical" things, like building shelters, feeding homeless, clothing and caring for broken people and other practical things. Jesus called us to not only preach the gospel of the kingdom but also to love our neighbors as ourselves. It is a very practical action oriented faith. Sure, there are individuals who , for whatever reason, do not do all that Christ commanded and taught, as they are in various stages of their development as believers, but the fault is NOT in Christ, it is in the Individuals who each must personally give a personal account to God, as must any skeptic.
Posted by deepwell  on  Sun Jul 02, 2006  at  11:26 PM
Deepwell said:

"I'm always appalled by how a lot of NON believers pick and choose the parts of the Bible they want to ignore. Atheism is pretty dopey but at least it's consistent."

Since your post was a sort of parody of mine, allow me to respond.

I quoted the Beatitudes because I believe they outline principles that anyone can and should follow, without regard for the existance or non-existance of God. You certainly will NOT find me quoting, as something to follow, parts of the Bible that purport to "prove" the existance of God.

To give you another example, even though I'm 100% against fascism, if Adolf Hitler wrote that the sun rises in the East in Mein Kampf, I would agree with him on that point.

I guess I'd be classified as an atheist these days; I've certainly been moving in that direction for a long time now.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Mon Jul 03, 2006  at  09:06 PM
Deepwell said:

"There are many Faith based Fundamentalist Christian organizations that in addition to preaching our "superstition" actually DO "practical" things, like building shelters, feeding homeless, clothing and caring for broken people and other practical things."

I have a very good friend who is a born-again Christian. While I completely disagree with him about his faith, I very much admire the work he's done for the homeless of New York City. A person who takes time to help others should be commended, regardless of their personal superstitions.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Mon Jul 03, 2006  at  09:09 PM
Posted by Lover of the Truth:

Truth is truth no matter what ANYONE says about it. You can deny that 2 plus 2 equals 4 until you are blue in the face, but that won't change the fact that 2 plus 2 does actually equal 4. It doesn't equal 16 or 5 or anything else, only 4. Your arguing against the facts is just going to make you look like a fool and you in fact are a fool in that case. by the way the Bible says "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'" (Blah, blah, blah).
Posted by Lover of the Truth on Sat Feb 04, 2006 at 12:04 PM
=============================================

Your name should be "Lover of the Myth".

Zeus is as real as "Jesus".

Your handbook was written by men with agendae.

Cavemen invented gods.
Posted by SoxSweepAgain  in  NYC  on  Wed Jul 05, 2006  at  02:15 PM
Lover of the Truth said:

"Truth is truth no matter what ANYONE says about it. You can deny that 2 plus 2 equals 4 until you are blue in the face, but that won't change the fact that 2 plus 2 does actually equal 4. It doesn't equal 16 or 5 or anything else, only 4."

See, here's the thing, Lover: 2 plus 2 equals 4 because we can PROVE that it does. All you need is some fingers.

On the other hand (no pun intended), you CANNOT prove that what you say is true. You can repeat it all you want, but mere repetition does NOT make truth. After all, I could say "The Earth is flat" a million times but it wouldn't be any more true when I was done than when I started, right?

Believers seem to think that merely stating something over and over somehow elevates it to the status of FACT. It doesn't. No, it doesn't matter how much you believe it or how sincere your belief is; either something is true or it isn't and the truth of something is determined by testing. Religious belief is a "special case" in that it can't be tested. That "loophole," however, does NOT prove somehow that it is FACT.

We KNOW that 2 plus 2 equals 4 because we can TEST that statement. You, however, CANNOT test what you say about God and thereby prove it. You merely repeat it endlessly and expect us to accept it as fact based on your repetition. That isn't going to happen (nor should it).

I fully realize that, in response to what I've just said, you will again repeat your assertion as if WHAT I just said isn't accurate. That, unfortunately for you, will only serve to demonstrate that you don't get how logic works.

Believe whatever superstitious nonsense you choose, I don't care. Just don't expect to convert me (or any other thinking person) via the endless repetition of your voodoo.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Jul 05, 2006  at  07:31 PM
I don't even know if peole are still writing on this forum. But I am a Christian and I happened across this so I felt I should respond. I just wanted to ask what is it that makes you believe that God isn't real? You say that you believe there is no proof. But there is no proof that God doesn't exist yet you choose to believe that. I don't know if I can explain my faith to you or if you care to hear any more or discuss this subject any further but I am open to try to answer any questions you might have. Although I will not respond to mocking. I am not perfect in the least, because of my sinful nature. I know I am just as sinful as anyone else the only difference is that because of my faith I can be forgiven. As a Christian I want to tell others my belief. It is because I believe that God exists, that I want to tell you it. We or at least I am not trying to shove religion down your throat. The reason for my writing is simply to tell you why we believe God is real and give you the oppurtunity to change your mind. It's your decision, but I ask you to at least consider the possibility before rejecting God.
Posted by Caring Christian  on  Sat Jan 13, 2007  at  05:21 PM
Caring Christian said:

"I just wanted to ask what is it that makes you believe that God isn't real? You say that you believe there is no proof."

C.C., I don't "believe" there is no proof. There IS no proof. Period.

One big mistake Christians and adherents of other religions make is to confuse their sincere belief in God with PROOF. It is entirely possible for a person to be absolutely, sincerely, convinced of the existance of something that does NOT exist. There are, for example, people who have devoted their lives to finding Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster. Since you embrace Christianity and reject OTHER religions, you actually realize that belief is not proof of existance, although you do not apply it to your own circumstances.

"The reason for my writing is simply to tell you why we believe God is real and give you the oppurtunity to change your mind. It's your decision, but I ask you to at least consider the possibility before rejecting God."

Another mistake a lot of believers make is to assume that non-believers have had no religious training or that we were NEVER believers.

I went to 12 years of Catholic school and as a child I believed what I was taught about Jesus and God. I came to the realization that what I was taught simply didn't make sense and, acting rationally, I adjusted my point of view.

I am as familiar with Christian (specifically Catholic) theology as many, if not most, practicing Christians. My non-belief is NOT the result of not having knowledge about the beliefs and practices of Christianity. If anything, it is BECAUSE of my knowledge of them.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Jan 14, 2007  at  08:22 PM
Caring Christian said:

"The reason for my writing is simply to tell you why we believe God is real and give you the oppurtunity to change your mind."

I know you don't intend it to come off this way, but that statement really comes off as condescending. You don't control my "opportunity to change my mind" about the existance of God. I ALWAYS have that opportunity, with or without your permission or encouragement. As I pointed out in my previous message, I ALREADY HAVE changed my mind about the existance of God since I was a boy in Catholic school.

The only way you could change my mind back would be to show me incontrovertible evidence of His existance. That isn't going to happen, so my mind is VERY unlikely to change back. For the record, NO, quoting something from the Bible does NOT constitute "incontrovertible evidence" of anything.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Jan 14, 2007  at  08:27 PM
I didn
Posted by Caring Christian  on  Mon Jan 15, 2007  at  03:20 PM
I know God exists, I see God's handiwork in all of creation, "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what had been made so that men are without excuse." (Romans 1:20) Most importantly I feel His presence in my heart and I know that without Him I
Posted by Caring Christian  on  Mon Jan 15, 2007  at  03:21 PM
wisdom. "For the Lord gives Wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding." (Proverbs 2:6)
Posted by Caring Christian  on  Mon Jan 15, 2007  at  03:25 PM
I kind of have to laugh when believers say that someone like me has a "closed mind." As I said, I WAS a believer when I was too young to really consider the many contradictions in religion and the complete lack of evidence to support it.

From my perspective, it's believers who are "closed minded." After all, can you really say that you seriously consider the notion that there may be no God? If you can't even imagine that possibility, then YOU are closed minded.

I accept that there is a VERY small chance that there is a God. There's also a VERY small chance that there are green monkeys on the dark side of the moon that we just haven't seen yet. Since there's NO evidence for the existance of either of those beings, I see no reason to assume that they DO exist.

One of the things that Christians do is to quote the Bible to "prove" that your religion is the right one. That is, at best, circular reasoning.

"The Bible is the revealed word of God."

"How do you know?"

"It says so in the Bible."

See a problem with that, from a logical perspective?

Remember when I said, "For the record, NO, quoting something from the Bible does NOT constitute 'incontrovertible evidence' of anything."? That hasn't changed.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Mon Jan 15, 2007  at  04:35 PM
Caring Christian, do you believe in and worship Zeus, Thor, Vishnu, or Quetzlcoatl? Have you considered that their existence hasn't been disproven either.

They are just as deserving of your belief and worship as your Christian god.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Jan 22, 2007  at  12:09 PM
I've already given you evidence above. It's not that you don't believe in God it's that you don't believe in the Bible, because if you belived in the Bible you would believe in God. Because they do go hand-in-hand.

you said

"do you belive in and worship Zeus..."

No I don't, and I know they're not credible because God says they aren't. Because I ultimately belive in God and therefore the Bible. And what contradictions? There are NO contradictions in the Bible.
Posted by Caring Christian  on  Thu Jan 25, 2007  at  02:51 AM
Caring Christian said:

"It's not that you don't believe in God it's that you don't believe in the Bible, because if you belived in the Bible you would believe in God. Because they do go hand-in-hand. "

Um, is the concept of "circular reasoning" at all familiar to you?

As for your assertion that there are no contradiction in the Bible, you really don't want to go down that road, Dude.

If you DO, here's what will happen. Some of us will point out CLEAR contradictions in the Bible. Then you will invent rationalizations which are not in the Bible to "explain" them. Then we will point that out. Following that, you will AGAIN "explain" that the Bible is the "revealed word of God" and that the reason you know that is because the Bible says so.

At that point, we will be back to "circular reasoning" again.

I've seen this debate before; nothing good can come from it.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Jan 25, 2007  at  02:56 AM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >