The Great Wall of China Hoax, 1899
Old-Time Photo Fakery, 1900 to 1919
The disumbrationist art hoax, 1924
Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
Baby Yoga, aka Swinging Your Kid Around Your Head
Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
Chinese Winged Cat
image Ananova reports a case of a cat in China that has grown wings. The owner of the cat, Granny Feng, says, ""At first, they were just two bumps, but they started to grow quickly, and after a month there were two wings."

Ananova isn't the most reliable of sources, but I don't see any reason to doubt this story. Winged cats are a rare, but entirely possible phenomena. I could have sworn they'd been covered on the MoH before, but apparently not (at least I can't find any mention of them after doing a search).

Messybeast.com offers the best discussion of winged cats, explaining that the "wings" are typically mats of fur, or the result of either a congenital deformity or a skin condition. (Thanks, Kathy)
Categories: Animals
Posted by The Curator on Thu May 24, 2007
I'll believe anything on Ananova when cats fly.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  05:28 AM
I've heard of this before - more than a few times. It's been mentioned in the fortean times, and I've got a book called the World's Greatest Mysteries that has a photo of a cat taken in the fifties. It not only has wings, but the wings are moving in the photo - the cat was a domestic house cat, and had been seen, with it's wings, by lots of people. Apparently vets said that they were just outgrowths of fur and skin that resembled wings. The owner claimed that she had seen the cat jump much farther distances than any normal cat, and reckoned it had learnt to fly short distances - I suppose if it had leant to extend it's 'wings' it could glide through the air, like flying squirrels do.
Posted by Nona  in  London  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  10:05 AM
Hey I already posted this on the forum.smirk
Posted by N E O  in  Everywhere and nowhere  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  10:52 AM
Did the cat get into some Red Bull?
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  11:59 AM
Sorry, NEO. Hadn't noticed that. But anyway, this way RSS readers get to see it also.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  12:16 PM
It's ok. I never knew the forum existed for a year or so after I first found this site.
Posted by N E O  in  Everywhere and nowhere  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  12:20 PM
So, the site is now nearly P ads?

Looks like the formatting needs a bit of work.
Posted by coit  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  04:10 PM
That was supposed to be 50 percent, but the 50 and the percent sign got mangled.
Posted by coit  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  04:12 PM
Like I said in the forum, I'd love to have an angel cat.
Posted by thunder  in  England  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  05:04 PM
Looks like matted fur.

If that cat's an angel, mine must be some kind of god.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Turkey, Texas  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  07:55 PM
I wonder if this will make it more likely to escape the tyres of my husbands car?

LOL

Just kidding ... kind of...
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  08:24 PM
The woman claims the wings have bones, but the photo really doesn't give much evidence that the wings are attached, mush less have bones. Besides, cats think they are gods anyway, why demote them to angels?
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  09:53 PM
Hey, Granny Feng, try combing your cat's hair.
Then we'll see if it has "wings."
Posted by Big Gary  in  Turkey, Texas  on  Fri May 25, 2007  at  03:35 PM
These type stories keep popping up every few weeks and it always seems that the byline is China.

"Cat Gives Birth To Dog" was on just a few weeks ago.
Posted by KDP  in  Texoma  on  Fri May 25, 2007  at  06:21 PM
One for the tall-tale gallery alex.
Posted by J  on  Sat May 26, 2007  at  07:27 AM
Flying cats rule!!! I have one.
Posted by Joey  on  Sun Jun 03, 2007  at  02:02 AM