Cheddarvision
imageAccording to the BBC, an association of cheesemakers from Somerset have come up with a new and innovative marketing campaign for the die-hard cheese lovers amongst us.

The new cheddarvision webcam is set up so that customers can watch their cheese maturing over the course of a year. The feed was reportedly started on the first day of 2007, but the site had been running for several days before that, and the counter has now reached 10 days.

So, is it legitimate? Difficult to say. The West Country Farmhouse Cheesemakers does seem to be a real organisation, and yes, they produce cheese. As to the webcam, that's more difficult to say. Cheese isn't the most mobile of subject matter, and it's nigh impossible to tell whether it is a current web feed or just looped footage. Or, indeed, a photograph.
(Thanks, Dave.)

UPDATE 2/4/07: It is clear now that this is a real web feed. Here is a time lapse video of months 0-3.
(Thanks, Beasjt.)
Categories: AdvertisingFood
Posted by Boo on Mon Jan 01, 2007
guys hate to break it to u this is not a hoax.. it was on channel 10 late night news thursday night. around 10pm.

It is also said on the site theres a video where u can watch the cheese bieng made.

funny that.
Posted by saraaaaaaaaaaaaah  on  Thu Feb 08, 2007  at  10:24 PM
when will you people learn? there are some folk weird enough to do this for real!

(sorry Gez)
Posted by ceri  in  manchester  on  Mon Mar 19, 2007  at  11:22 AM
Please, please, PLEASE...dress the cheese up for the holidays! I would laugh my you know what off....Sunglasses and a margharita glass for the summer...pumpkins and a smart looking hat for the fall...Santa hat and beard for Christmas...you could sell a calendar~ A Cheese For All Seasons! Maybe re-create famous Actors/scenes from movies, or historical people and events...King Arthur Cheese!! Winston Churhill!Dame Edna Cheese!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Pretty please, with cheese on top??
Posted by sooky  in  usa  on  Sat Apr 28, 2007  at  04:23 PM
grin ... good call sooky, but I think it happens already!?

. . . red nose day ( UK thing ), valentines... this cheese is getting a lot of love grin . . . it's even, I think, been adopted by a school over in the states!
Posted by Jimbo  in  Bath  on  Sat Apr 28, 2007  at  04:56 PM
I am curious about one little detail. . .How does it smell? No, let me rephrase that--What does the aging room smell like? I know dairies can smell pretty rank.
Posted by Misha Griffith  in  Fairfax, VA  on  Wed May 09, 2007  at  09:17 AM
Hello to everyone reading, my name is tom and myself and the team make the cheese on our farm in westcombe. I am so pleased with the response that we are having about the cheese cam. I thought that i should let Misha Griffith in Fairfax know that the cheese store that the cheese is in smells like an old cellar, it has a fresh clean mustyness about it!! hope this helps tom
Posted by Tom Calver  in  Westcombe England  on  Thu May 10, 2007  at  07:01 AM
you are all sad to look at the stupid cheese.
ITS CHEESE. Get a life
Posted by scoobz  on  Mon Sep 17, 2007  at  05:34 AM
i like cheese. i think its cool! smile
Posted by izzie  in  Seattle, Washington  on  Wed Oct 17, 2007  at  11:15 AM
ilan ver - I can promise you that it was genuinely screened for a year. The cheese was sold to raise money for charity though and now lives in New Zealand.
Posted by Jimbo  in  UK  on  Wed Mar 03, 2010  at  10:07 AM
Comments: Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.