The Stone-Age Tasaday Hoax, 1971
Cursed by Allah
Fake Fish Photos
Vilcabamba, the town of very old people, 1978
The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
Checking In (again)
Been a little quiet here lately. Hello? Do I hear an echo?

I've returned from book writing (my new book, Electrified Sheep, is available for purchase in the UK... an American version is coming out in 2012), as well as home remodeling, and now I'm slowly slouching my way back toward blogging, one small step at a time. The first step was to address the problem of what to do with all my weird science material (such as my list of the Top 20 Most Bizarre Experiments which, somewhat confusingly, was housed here at the Museum of Hoaxes). I did this by creating the Mad Science Museum. My plan is that the MSM will serve as a sister site to the MOH.

The second step is to focus on the Hoax Museum again, and that means updating the site's software. That'll take me a couple of days because the software is now so out of date that updating it is going to cause a lot of things to go haywire.

The third step will be to freshen up the site's design and address the spam problem. Final step: start blogging again. So to those few people who may actually see this note, stay tuned for more!
Categories: Miscellaneous
Posted by The Curator on Thu Aug 11, 2011
Hello, do we know you??

JK, Welcome back
I think you'll find a lot of us are still here. Some do seem to have vanished though.
Posted by Sharruma  in  capable of finishing a coherent  on  Thu Aug 11, 2011  at  05:29 PM
I really miss the old 1950s paintings of the Museum of Hoaxes showing the grounds and lobby. Could you bring that back?
Posted by anonymous  on  Thu Aug 11, 2011  at  06:09 PM
With spam I think it's best not to use that thing where a couple of words appear on the screen and they appear slightly scrambled. Asking users to type that into a field causes usability problems. I'm going to look at a site called akismet.com which I've read good things about regarding stopping spam.
Posted by Peter  in  Melbourne, Australia  on  Thu Aug 11, 2011  at  07:52 PM
Peter, I was actually thinking of looking into akismet. I just learned about it recently.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Aug 11, 2011  at  08:51 PM
I'm not sure if we mods'll know what to do if we don't have to delete gobs of spammers! lol

J/K, Alex, I'm glad you're back, and very much looking forward to seeing all the new changes!
Posted by Crafty Dragon  in  Montana  on  Fri Aug 12, 2011  at  05:39 PM
Yeah, it's a bit hard to type in the "word displayed below" when for some reason the computer is not displaying the word. Unless I'm supposed to type in a bunch of spaces?

Anyway, I think that a nice tartan pattern would be a good one for the updated MoH. Perhaps that of the McBoese clan. I'm sure that the tourist shops in Scotland would be more than happy to discover your clan tartan for you, and then sell you piles of themed merchandise in that pattern.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Fri Aug 12, 2011  at  05:53 PM
cool...
Posted by oppiejoe  in  Michigan - USA  on  Fri Aug 12, 2011  at  06:53 PM
I'll be happy if we can get some new non-spamming people through our doors.
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Sat Aug 13, 2011  at  01:28 AM
Now that Alex is back, I'm sure folks will start drifting in again, Smerk. LOL

And I'm feeling kind of lost without all of the meds I hid around the old MoH... gulp
Posted by daveprime  in  Deep in the sticks...*yay internet!!*  on  Sat Aug 13, 2011  at  12:24 PM
I haven't checked in myself in quite some time... nice to see things are up and running again. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do myself! Can't wait to read your new book when it comes out next year.
Posted by AqueousBoy  on  Mon Oct 24, 2011  at  08:58 AM