Monkeys pick cotton, a 19th-century urban legend
Script of Casablanca rejected, 1982
The boy with the golden tooth, 1593
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
Bizarre pictographs of Emmanuel Domenech, 1860
Did Poe say 'The best things in life make you sweaty'?
Man flies by own lung power, 1934
Fake Photos of Very Large Animals
Life discovered on the moon, 1835
The Hitler Diary Hoax, 1983
Check-in Pseudonyms
Kate Beckinsale goes by "Sigourney Beaver." Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston, when together, were "Mr and Mrs Ross Vegas." And Johnny Depp uses "Mr. Stench."

These are some of the check-in pseudonyms that Hollywood stars use to remain anonymous when registering at hotels.

The only time I ever use a pseudonym is when asked to fill in info for things like online surveys or grocery store cards. Then I'm always "Eric Blair." But I'm thinking of switching to Hugo N. Frye.
Categories: Celebrities, Identity/Imposters
Posted by The Curator on Fri Jun 20, 2008
Well, those pseudonyms aren't going to work any more.

I always use Lucreztia Borgia. Seriously. No-one's called me on it yet.
Posted by Nona  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  07:25 AM
I dont feel I need a psued-, psood-, psud-... fake name...
Posted by Theophilus Punaval  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  08:39 AM
Mummilinus Bunwirmer
Posted by Floormaster Squeeze  in  Spring Hill, MA  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  09:51 AM
that's crazy, MY fake online form name is Eric Blair.
Posted by Tim  in  Chapel Hill  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  11:51 AM
There used to be a group of people in alt.peeves who would sign up for "rewards cards" at supermarkets with names like Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin. Then mail them to each other all over the country.

If I need a pseudonym, I'd use Anastasia Beaverhousen.
Posted by Terry Austin  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  12:08 PM
My sister used to fake a name once in a while. I'm not sure why. She used her real last name, but changed her first name. Courtney & Jessica were most common. To this day, my mom averages about 1 piece of mail a week to those names. She stopped doing it like 4 years ago.

When I meet strangers who ask my name I give a fake first name. Usually Rachel or Jill. I don't tell them my last name. And when I'm at a restaurant I give a fake name...usually something cartoony. Pebbles, Minnie, ...just cuz I can hear a million Maegans called before I'll hear a duplicate Pebbles.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  12:28 PM
We used to go to a certain restaurant chain when I was a kid like once a week and ever time you'ld get a comment card to fill out and turn in we always did the kids that is and would use a different pseudonym every time. Being kids, and that it was usually my younger brother who was fascinated with fart jokes and stuff would put names such as Poopy Pants and such. Once day we went to check the mail and we had 50 identical envelopes addressed to different people with the names we had used. Inside each was a $5 card for use at the restaurant lol. Companies should check things like that lol.
Posted by Tim  in  Texas  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  12:28 PM
That's funny, I heard George Orwell also used to check into hotels as "Eric Blair."
Posted by Big Gary  in  Uncertain, Texas  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  04:22 PM
Personally, I always use Halsey Taylor.
Posted by partgypsy  in  USA  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  06:34 PM
funny, but I noticed someone using my name, especially in those funny little guest books left in beach rentals and in small hotels.

Herr Schitz
Posted by helmut schitz  in  all over  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  08:15 PM
Ha ha ha! Good choice...I like to go by "Cookie Barfspringer." It came from a book I read as a kid called "The Westing Game."
Posted by Celia Pleete  in  Mad Vortex  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  08:37 PM
Back in my wacky morning drive radio DJ days, I would sometimes be asked to go to a competing station to pick up a commercial tape. If I had to sign for it, I would always write "Travis Bickle."
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  08:56 PM
Same as Alex, for online stuff, I'll use Randy Stevens, from a John Saul book I really like
Posted by Josh  in  Texas  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  09:44 PM
Heh, to quote Fats Waller: "Never give em your real name...NO NO NO"
Posted by Captain DaFt  on  Fri Jun 20, 2008  at  10:56 PM
I guess I'm not one of the cool kids, I don't have a pseudonym. :(
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Sat Jun 21, 2008  at  12:40 PM
So you're saying your Visa card says "Sakano?" Like Teller of Penn and Teller?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Jun 22, 2008  at  04:18 AM
Oh, no. But is that really a pseudonym? I always just thought of it as a username.
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Sun Jun 22, 2008  at  08:45 AM
I think, technically, a username is the same as a pseudonym, but I was only kidding with you anyway.

BTW, the reference to Teller was about him having legally changed his name to Teller, no first name. His credit cards actually do say that.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Jun 22, 2008  at  07:19 PM
Joe Mama... Jeff Ahdder, Harry Backe, Mel Ameen, Rufus Leeking, Mary Whanna, Jimmy Thudor... don't get me started
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Sun Jun 22, 2008  at  10:26 PM
Haha, thanks for explaining that Cranky. smile That went over my head, because I've never heard of him before.
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Mon Jun 23, 2008  at  12:17 AM
Check out pennandteller.com, Sakano.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Tue Jun 24, 2008  at  04:20 AM
Meagan, quite right about common first names - I often use 'Boris' instead of my own in order to distinguish myself in a crowd; That, and in this city there are people who challenge me for having the name of a Zionist despot who had one of his seniro soldiers killed in order to sleep with th man's widow. wink

Going to other celebrities, Prince Charles travels under such Goon Show-inspired names as Albert Ftang, Lester Smodpule and Charles Fnut.
Posted by DFStuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Mon Aug 18, 2008  at  08:53 PM
I like telling peole my name is Haywood Jablome