A black lion: real or fake?
The Case of the Vanishing Belly Button, 1964
The disumbrationist art hoax, 1924
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
The Great New York Zoo Escape Hoax, 1874
Bizarre pictographs of Emmanuel Domenech, 1860
The most sacred relic: the Holy Foreskin, circa 800 AD
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
Dog wins art contest, 1974
The Stone-Age Tasaday Hoax, 1971
Centrifuge Growth Treatment
Why do people fall for stuff like this?
A woman is suing a Tokyo-based chiropractor over pricey but ineffective treatments that involved spinning her in a centrifugal device to make her taller... The chiropractic center told her the treatments using centrifugal force would make her taller at a cost of 1.05 million yen per 1 centimeter gained... According to the suit, the center said her leg bones had grown by a little over 3 cm, showing X-rays taken before and after the treatments. The woman argues the center allegedly manipulated the X-rays and that its explanations lack medical credibility.
I think 1.05 million yen is around $9000. It would have been a lot cheaper for her to have found a centrifuge ride at an amusement park. Of course, the chiropractor can defend himself by claiming that he was just pulling her leg.
Categories: Body Manipulation, Health/Medicine
Posted by The Curator on Mon Apr 16, 2007
How stupid can you be??
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Mon Apr 16, 2007  at  12:04 PM
I think spinning in a centrifuge, with your feet toward the center and your head pointed out, really does make you a little taller-- but only until you stop spinning. When you stand up again, you're pretty much back where you started.

This seems like a variation on the old canard that you can grow taller by hanging upside down for some period every day. Again, you're probably a little taller while you're hanging, but not once you get down. I imagine it's harder to charge people a lot of money for hanging them by their feet than for spinning them in some supposedly high-tech and scientific machine, though.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Dime Box, Texas  on  Mon Apr 16, 2007  at  05:04 PM
Of course, any scientist will tell you that centrifugal force does not exist. It's all in your head. So, I suppose it is perfect for alternative medicine.
Posted by Cthelmax  in  England  on  Mon Apr 16, 2007  at  05:24 PM
Honestly, some women just need to accept what height they are. I'm much happier now I've accepted being a munchkin wink

Besides, when I do have the odd day when my lack of height gets me down (usually when I've been standing next to my husband for a while), I'll put on my big chunky boots and it makes it all better smile
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Mon Apr 16, 2007  at  07:06 PM
Alex, people have been shot for lesser puns than that!
Posted by outeast  on  Tue Apr 17, 2007  at  06:21 AM
It's obvious that the chiropractor was stretching the truth (sorry, sorry).

Nettie, I'm a shortie too and I love it!
Posted by Vicki  on  Mon Apr 30, 2007  at  04:32 AM