Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
Loch Ness Monster Hoaxes
Did Paul McCartney die on Nov. 9, 1966?
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
The Berners Street Hoax, 1810
Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
Dog wins art contest, 1974
Jennifer Love Hewitt's Disappearing Breasts
Cell Phones Cook Popcorn
A youtube video purports to show popcorn popping when placed in between cell phones all ringing at once.

Clearly fake. It's a new spin on the old joke about cooking an egg with two cell phones. The only question is how they got the popcorn to pop. My guess is there must be a heating element beneath the table.
Categories: Food, Photos/Videos, Technology
Posted by The Curator on Mon Jun 09, 2008
The tablecloth could be made from fireproof material so the heating element underneath wouldn't catch it on fire. But my initial reaction was they made a microwave gun with the magnetron from an old microwave.
Posted by Crazy Ivan  on  Mon Jun 09, 2008  at  04:19 PM
All you need is a heat gun. As long as the temp's around 180 degrees Celsius, it won't hurt the cloth, but it'll pop the corn.
If you notice, the corn all jumps mainly in one direction, just like you'd expect from a heat gun.
Posted by Captain DaFt  on  Tue Jun 10, 2008  at  02:13 AM
No magnetron gun (the waves are not unidirectional and have a tendency to bounce around so they would have end up in the hospital or grave; not to mention the electrocution risk; also the electromagnetic field would have spoil the video recording). Besides there are many safer and simpler ways to do a trick like this.

I go for the theory of the heat gun or heating element under the table or out of the camera's field of view.
Posted by Adam  on  Tue Jun 10, 2008  at  02:33 AM
hmm, I dunno if you'd need any heating or popping at all to do this. with the only modest quality and the hokey "blair witch project" camera work it looks to me like an even modestly skilled video editor could fake this.
perhaps Captain Disillusion will debunk this one next (a la the penguin slap or other debunks he did, http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query="Captain+Disillusion"&search;_type= )
Posted by joel  on  Tue Jun 10, 2008  at  01:27 PM
oops, that link got screwed up, but if you search youtube for "Captain Disillusion" you'll get about 10 of his debunks, all excellent
Posted by joel  on  Tue Jun 10, 2008  at  01:31 PM
seems to be a japanese table with a heating element.. note that all these videos the table has a table cloth, how many people do you know with table cloths on their coffee tables? also note in all these videos the kernals are always already their, so its a matter of timing...

on a side note, is that Mark Wahlberg??
Posted by Crazygut  in  San Francisco  on  Tue Jun 10, 2008  at  06:44 PM
The two give aways that the video is a hoax are the tablecloth, already mentioned, and because a ringing phone is receiving not transmitting.

It would be more convincing to call out on the three phones, so they would seem to be transmitting.

I'm confident that there is a heat source under the
table, hidden by the tablecloth.

I'm sure I could recreate the hoax and not scorch the tablecloth. but I would have my phones calling out.
Posted by little f  in  internet  on  Tue Jun 10, 2008  at  11:33 PM
I found out it that the orginial video is from a company called.
CardoWireless they have a video on Youtube. They sell bluetooth products.
Posted by jackie kim  on  Wed Jun 11, 2008  at  02:57 PM
It would be easy enough for a group of people to test though, correct? I'm amazed that with 4 cell phones on the table, that there's 4 additional phones available to call the testing phones.

I don't think there's a heating element under the table, as some of the other vids do not always have a tablecloth.
Posted by John  on  Wed Jun 11, 2008  at  03:01 PM
The link to <a >Cardo Systems</a>.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Fri Jun 13, 2008  at  12:17 PM
Did anyone else notice the creases in the tablecloth? Like maybe there is something under it that isn't flat? I noticed it in the initial zoom. I also wonder about the jerking around of the camera. My vote - fake.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Fri Jun 13, 2008  at  06:56 PM
Just video editing
Posted by ha  on  Sat Jun 14, 2008  at  01:57 PM
Its fake
Posted by Peter  in  USA  on  Thu Jul 10, 2008  at  08:15 AM
It's video editing for an ad. See how it was made here http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2008/07/09/carroll.cellphone.popcorn.cnn
Posted by Jeff  in  Montreal, Canada  on  Sun Jan 16, 2011  at  04:32 PM