Lord Gordon-Gordon, robber of the robber barons, 1871
A black lion: real or fake?
The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
Tube of liquor hidden in prohibition-era boot, 1920s
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
The Cottingley Fairies, 1917
The Great Electric Sugar Swindle, 1884
Bonsai Kittens, 2000
Man flies by own lung power, 1934
BushFish
Status: Undetermined
image Do you believe God belongs in government? Do you believe President Bush is doing The Lord's Work? If so, then step up and buy a BushFish car magnet. There's been speculation that this is some kind of parody, along the lines of BushIsLord.com. It does seem a little over the top. But I'm guessing that the creator of these things doesn't care whether people interpret them as a parody, or as a serious statement, as long as they buy plenty of them. (And yes, as far as I can tell, purchases really can be made via the site... though I wasn't about to actually buy one to make sure.)

On Daily Kos there's been speculation that BushFish is a satire based on the fact that some of the photos of BushFish on car bumpers seem to have been photoshopped. I'm not seeing this. In fact, it seems to me that it would be more work to photoshop a BushFish onto a bumper than it would be to simply slap one onto a bumper in real life and take a picture of it.

Categories: Politics, Religion
Posted by The Curator on Thu Jun 01, 2006
"Personally I think that if anyone feels a burning need to buy a Bush Fish, they should buy one of the aquatic kind instead."

As a matter of fact, I used to have a couple of bush fish (leopard Ctenopoma to my fellow aquarium geeks)-- the animals, not the bumper stickers, of course.

I won't bore you with the details, but they aren't especially easy to keep.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Gun Barrel City, Texas, USA  on  Thu Jun 01, 2006  at  07:09 PM
My brother used to live in Gun Barrel City, Tx., before his house (right off the lake) was taken out by a tornado... Hey Big Gary, I wonder if you knew him, his name is Ted... grin
Posted by Christopher in Joplin, Missouri  in  Joplin, Mo  on  Thu Jun 01, 2006  at  10:29 PM
Undetermined?!?! come on dude, it's cleary a parody. The web site is deep in over the top stereotypes about right wingers. Sheesh.
Posted by Lonewatchman  on  Fri Jun 02, 2006  at  01:40 AM
I wondered if you might have owned any bush fish as I wrote that, Gary... Since you're the resident fish expert here.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Fri Jun 02, 2006  at  02:31 AM
Some time ago I got in touch with these guys, congratulating thwem on a funny parody. FWIW, they roundly denied it - though they said they'd be happy to sell me a BushFish anyway. Alas, they don't (or at least didn't) ship to Europe...
Posted by outeast  on  Fri Jun 02, 2006  at  06:22 AM
I've always beeen of the opinion that Bush is fishy....
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Fri Jun 02, 2006  at  06:46 AM
My personal favourite is a bumper sticker I saw on a friend's car, which resembles a Christian fish symbol except that it has legs and says "Darwin" in the middle :D
I'll see if I can find a picture of one.
Posted by Owen  on  Fri Jun 02, 2006  at  08:27 AM
Posted by Owen  on  Fri Jun 02, 2006  at  08:29 AM
The Darwin fish.
*happy sigh*
It's a classic.
I'd buy one if I owned a car and lived in the US.
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Fri Jun 02, 2006  at  03:12 PM
I don't own a car so sadly I haven't got anywhere to put one anyway, but I saw this one in the UK. Perhaps it doesn't have quite the same political relevance over here, but the religious nuts are growing more powerful...
(On a side note, 6/6/06 soon. Anyone want to place bets on how many people predict the world ends yet?)
Posted by Owen  on  Fri Jun 02, 2006  at  04:56 PM
Oh yes, the Darwin fish, I'd buy one if I wanted my car keyed and my windows busted out LOL
Posted by Kristen55  in  Seattle  on  Fri Jun 02, 2006  at  10:51 PM
We would appreciate it if you remove our website from your website. BushFish.org is a very real site with a quality product and customers. If you would like to prove our legitimacy, why not order one? We'll even send along a second for free.

Regards,
BF.org
Posted by BushFish Staff  on  Mon Jun 05, 2006  at  02:42 AM
I don't see a hoax at all. I'm afraid this is very real and its only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to wacko rightwing theocrats.
Posted by threat_or_menace  in  Barrie, Ontario, Canada  on  Mon Jun 05, 2006  at  03:41 PM

I find irony in the fact that the bushfish is on a Hummer xD
Posted by Mera  on  Wed Jun 07, 2006  at  01:52 AM
Mera sez:
"I find irony in the fact that the bushfish is on a Hummer xD"

Irony? Don't you mean consistency?
Posted by Big Gary  in  Muleshoe, Texas, USA  on  Fri Jun 09, 2006  at  07:51 PM
Pls send us an email with your name and address, and we will send you a BushFish so you know this isn't a hoax. Pls note, the email must come from the museumofhoaxes.com domain so we know it is in fact from the organizers of this site.

God Bless-