Jean Gauntt, the Immortal Baby, 1939
Loch Ness Monster Hoaxes
Dead Body of Loch Ness Monster Found, 1972
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
Use your left ear to detect lies
The Sandpaper Test, 1960
The Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, 1959
The Cradle of the Deep, a literary hoax, 1929
Swiss peasants harvest spaghetti from trees, 1957
Bunga Bunga
The news from Italy is that Silvio Berlusconi has been engaging in some wild "Bunga Bunga" parties. Or so says a 17-year-old Moroccan belly dancer who attended one of these parties. No one is really sure what a Bunga Bunga party entails, except that Berlusconi apparently learned the practice from Muammar Kaddafi, and it has something to do with sex.

On Slate.com, Brian Palmer explores the mystery of just what Bunga Bunga might be. The leading theory is that it derives from an old joke in which some western explorers are caught by a primitive tribe and offered a choice between Death or Bunga Bunga. I've actually heard this joke before. The punchline is that when an explorer chooses death, after realizing Bunga Bunga involves some kind of awful sexual torture, he's told that it will be "Death by Bunga Bunga." At least, that's the version I heard. On Slate, Palmer tells a slightly different version.

Anyway, there's a hoax connection here, because "Bunga Bunga" also happens to be the phrase uttered by Horace de Vere Cole and his accomplices while hoaxing the British Navy in 1910 during the Dreadnought hoax.
Categories: Literature/Language, Sex/Romance
Posted by The Curator on Wed Nov 17, 2010
Death by Mau Mau!

(also, welcome back)
Posted by Splarka  on  Wed Nov 17, 2010  at  04:26 AM
Death by Snoo Snoo!!

Posted by Mimzy  on  Wed Nov 17, 2010  at  12:46 PM
I don't know about Bunga Bunga, but I've got a trip planned to Wagga Wagga next year.
Posted by Joel B1  in  Hobart, Tasmania  on  Wed Nov 17, 2010  at  06:00 PM
I want to see the Wild Women Of Wongo.
Posted by KDP  in  Madill, OK  on  Mon Nov 22, 2010  at  09:54 AM
Berlusconi is the joke of Europe.
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Wed Nov 24, 2010  at  04:12 AM
I've always wanted to go to Ouagadougou.

Berlusconi is pretty well scandal-proof. He had the same reputation before he was elected, and re-elected, as Prime Minister.
Saying Berlusconi is fond of orgies and prostitutes is about like saying W. is ignorant and bumbling-- nothing everybody didn't already know.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Relampago, Texas  on  Mon Nov 29, 2010  at  08:12 PM
All true, but that has nothing to do with it being anecdotal. I'm not surer how you get from the policies of four journals to "generally".

I'm not saying it's necessarily an incorrect generalization, just that it's one that I haven't seen it supported by anything more than anecdotes of a few (in this case, four) journals. Starting from a different handful of journals could lead to a very different generalization. For example, as I mentioned, none of the journals I have published in charge to publish.
Posted by barbie oyunları  in  barbie oyunları  on  Tue Nov 30, 2010  at  02:42 AM
I wish i had time and patience to make a informative post like yours. A ton of information on all the states. Bookmarked your blog.Will definitely be back more often....
Posted by Charlotte limousine  on  Wed Dec 22, 2010  at  09:58 AM
Wow..so great.

I'm very much appreciate for it.
Posted by jeddan  in  Denver  on  Mon Dec 27, 2010  at  07:25 AM
Very impressive stuff. thanks for sharing
Posted by adam  in  russia  on  Thu Mar 17, 2011  at  10:44 AM
If Bunga Bunga is making purrrrfect love. I want to know more. Tell me. Anyway I have 9 lives how much bunga bunga can I get.?
Posted by Cat Cameo  on  Wed Mar 23, 2011  at  12:38 PM
Berlusconi... it's a shame ! Poor Italy... and W Bunga Bunga grin
Posted by Robert  on  Mon Mar 28, 2011  at  12:19 PM
Bunga bunga literally means 'flowers' in the malay language. In the olden days, flowers also refers to young beautiful women. Which kinda put all the puzzles together which make sense. Love, sex, do kills. =D
Posted by Zann  on  Sun Apr 03, 2011  at  09:59 PM
Good for him! If it's true that is, lol. Seriously though it just kindof sounds like a joke gone wrong and an attempt at "scandal" gone pitifully wrong. Thanks for the giggles!
Posted by Jen Green  in  Sarasota, FL  on  Thu Apr 07, 2011  at  11:15 AM
It is funny. When people there do not care that much, we are filled with our own opinions. Why care? <a href="http://www.suma-wasserbetten.de/">wasserbetten zubeh
Posted by WarenKed  on  Thu Aug 04, 2011  at  11:08 AM