war of the worlds
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
The Case of the Vanishing Belly Button, 1964
The Hitler Diary Hoax, 1983
The Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, 1959
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
The Cottingley Fairies, 1917
Samsung invents the on/off switch
Lord Gordon-Gordon, robber of the robber barons, 1871
Bovine Unite
The cows are plotting something. They're meeting in secret COWncils. They're even keeping blogs. I'm not sure what it's all about, but it seems that 05.05.05 is the date when the cows will show their hand (or hoof, as it may be). (via Metafilter)
Categories: Advertising, Animals
Posted by The Curator on Fri Apr 08, 2005
This is supposed to be a secret.
No one is supposed to realise that I am really
Secret agent Ermintrude of the Cow Liberation Front

It's not easy typing with hooves you know.

-----------------------------------------------
Two bulls are on a hill overlooking a field of cows,
The youngist says, 'let's run down there and see to one or two of them.'
The older one says, no no 'lets walk down there and see to all of them.'

Two cows are standing in a field and one says to the other, 'I'm worried about this made cow disease, what about you.'
The other replies, 'That's not a problem for us ducks.'

A cow walks into a bar and says, 'I'll have a pint.'
The barman replies, 'F*** me a talking cow!'
Posted by Sharruma  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  03:15 AM
Reminds me of the Cows with Guns song...
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  03:32 AM
It's Bull
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  03:35 AM
Udderly ridiculous, and teat's no lie
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  03:36 AM
So far I've found this...

Registrant:
Davis, William
904 Hammond Court
Bel Air, MD 21014
US
410-661-9118

The phone number traces to...
Davis, William A
26 Hollow Rock Ct
Parkville, MD 21234-3408
(410) 661-9118

Googling William A Davis brings too many results to go through quickly.

The address listed in the registration traces back to...
Mary And Michael Theriault

Theriault, Michael
904 Hammonds Ct
Bel Air, MD 21014-3418
(410) 838-1645

From a google search the only Mike Theriault from Maryland that I can find is a master sargeant in the USAF.

I haven't phoned either of these numbers (yet), as it's the middle of the night there. Maybe Bill Davis works for Mike Theriault?

It's quite possible that neither of these names is actually related to the whole cow thing in any way.

So far, the impression that I have gotten is that PETA is somehow involved. Who else would stage a massive demonstration complaining about the treatment of cows, and try and get as many people interested as possible beforehand?

I could be wrong, but this, to me, just stinks of vegetables (both edible and walking).

I'll probably dig into it more tomorrow, because, hey, I've got nothin better to do. smile
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  04:04 AM
Two cows were standing in the pasture. As cows will do, they started to converse.

The first cow says "What do you think of this 'Mad Cow Disease' thing?"

The second cows says "What the fuck do I care, I'm a tractor."

cheese
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  04:06 AM
And I just realized that "it"'s gonna happen on Cinco De Mayo.

I'm gonna have to let my dad know, it's his birthday.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  04:09 AM
Rod, you have waaaay too much time on your hands...

If a cow laughs, would milk come out of its nose?
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  04:18 AM
And this has nothing to do with the Chick-fil-A restaurant chain?
Posted by ciberido  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  04:28 AM
Actually, you'd be surprised how little time I actually spent looking.

But yes, I definitely have too much time on my hands. LONG story.

Milk out a cow's nose? I've seen calves sneeze it out their nose...

As much as it's funny, it's pretty gross to see.

Kinda like the vampire teabags. hmmm
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  04:32 AM
Well, it was that or trying to remember the milkshake joke. My mind doesn't really like holding onto jokes much. downer
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  04:35 AM
I have no idea, I've never even seen a Chick-fil-a.

But, looking at their website, the cows do look somewhat similar. But then, don't all cows?

Maybe you're on to something there, cibidero.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  04:37 AM
Soy pollo (with just a dab of Cinco de Mayo)
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  04:49 AM
The Chick-fil-a sites are registered in Georgia, where the company's HQ is.

That, of course does not preclude them from falsely registering another domain, or getting their ad company to do it.

And if it was them, would they be so obvious as to use a recognized logo for something that's a month in the future, and will only turn out to be a sale price?

Maybe. Guess we'll find out for sure in a month.

My money's on PETA, but I have not ruled out Chick-fil-a or anything else (except aliens and jesus) yet.

Maybe it's the ferrets and the llamas, getting together to help their bovine buddies?
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  04:51 AM
It's a subtle promo for DL2... Earl J. has friends everwhere
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  05:02 AM
The cows dont worry me half so much as the Chickens in Choppers - everyone knows thats where the Fight for Bovine Freedom will go horribly wrong for humans.
Damn another thing to add to my "Things That Are Happening On My Birthday Which May Distract Attention From Me" list:
1. British General Election (At least I dont live there but I am Irish so it will be on our news anyway)
2. My friends court date for getting caught peeing down a lane
3. C-Day
Posted by Deediddums  in  Dublin  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  06:23 AM
Hollow Rock Ct Satellite Image:
Hammonds Ct Satellite Image:

Neither look like farms
Posted by Nick  in  USA  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  07:04 AM
Satellite image?

And yes, they're both suburbs of Baltimore.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  07:07 AM
if you look in the forums for the site it seems to be centered around an art gallery in fell's point, baltimore md, http://www.galleryid8.com/

i dunno about peta, at least it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the group as a whole.
Posted by surreal  in  chi-town  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  08:40 AM
I don't care who is doing is really, I just think its a hilarious site. Did you see the cows at the gym? wink
Posted by Winona  in  USA  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  10:25 AM
Certainly did, very funny. Cows at the gym - a win win situation for all involved...Funny to look at and they will make for a tastier leaner steak in the end.
Anyone ever see Trigger Happy T.V.? Reminded me of that a bit.
Posted by Deediddums  in  Dublin  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  10:34 AM
Myself, I'm not very Moo-ved by any of this. smile
Posted by Mark-N-Isa  in  Midwest USA  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  06:59 PM
so wait your sure the chik-fil-a cows arn't behind this?
Posted by Silent Fish  in  an endless forest of wooden chairs  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  08:24 PM
The galleryID8 theory seems to pan out. I registered as user "CowbearSloth". The two other registered users are "Moo" and "galleryID8". Case closed.
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  earth, 3rd planet, sol system  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  08:43 PM
Moo! Moo moo moo moo moo moo, moo moo moo (moo moo moo moo) moo moo. Moo moo. angry

Moo moo moo, moo moo moo moo moo moo moo. Moo moo moo.

Moo - moo moo moo moo moo moo
Moo - moo moo
Moo - moo moo moo moo moo moo moo, moo moo
Moo - moo moo moo (moo, moo moo)
Moo - moo moo moo moo

Moo moo moo! Moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo. Moo moo moo moo moo moo moo.
LOL

Moo moo, moo moo moo moo, moo moo, moo moo moo, moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo.

Moo Moo
Moo
Oom
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  09:08 PM
Harry has a point, there are other spanish launguage references, as in "Muchas Gracias" in the hang man game. I vote for a "El Pollo Loco" ad campain.
Posted by Wally  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  09:17 PM
So, we hoof to cownt down to 5/05/05, beefore we know the poop? Got a month to milk the program. They need to hire Larry Tate, pitchman extraordinaire, to help the promo. They never have good guys like Larry on their team- they dearly lack Tate. He's a moover and a shaker. Teat's all, folks
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  09:47 PM
<font size=+50>Moo</font size>
Posted by Tom  on  Fri Apr 08, 2005  at  11:46 PM
I'm not sure of the purpose of your post, however if you need to have the Cows incorporate a business, they can visit http://www.inc123.com or http://www.businesspronet.com Only if they are planning on slicing each other up for BK or McD's
Posted by j. m  in  United States, New York, Florida, Delaware  on  Sat Apr 09, 2005  at  12:54 AM
This is a clever and well done website, whatever it is. Rest assured, the people behind this spent a lot of money putting this together, and the designer in charge of the site certainly knew what he was doing. It's obviously some sort of marketing campaign, otherwise it wouldn't make sense why one would invest as much capital in it as this site does.
Posted by Sarah  on  Sat Apr 09, 2005  at  03:38 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >